• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL PartyBox 1000 - Looking for advice

eidoscognitio

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

Recently my wife won a JBL Partybox 1000 in a sweepstake.

I wonder if anyone knows a workaround for some way of EQing that beast to tame it for low volume music listening. Any workaround will be very appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @eidoscognitio!

Sine the Partybox 1000 doesn't seem to have any EQ on board, you'd have to apply it on the device that's sending the music.

Please tell me, what devices are you using to play music on the JBL and how are they connected to the speaker (Bluetooth, USB, AUX, Line)?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If you have a graphic equalizer or a graphic EQ application it's easy to experiment.

But maybe you'll never like the sound and maybe you'll never like listening in mono...

OP
E

eidoscognitio

Hi @eidoscognitio!

Sine the Partybox 1000 doesn't seem to have any EQ on board, you'd have to apply it on the device that's sending the music.

Please tell me, what devices are you using to play music on the JBL and how are they connected to the speaker (Bluetooth, USB, AUX, Line)?
Thank you for your reply.

At the time, I´m streaming from a Motorola G20 smartphone, I´m a Spotify user.

Yet, I plan to attach a small mixer (a Mackie, God willing) to be able to listen to my CD, DVD and other analogue sources.

staticV3

Master Contributor
At the time, I´m streaming from a Motorola G20 smartphone, I´m a Spotify user.
For Spotify on Android, you can use Spotify's built-in GEQ, Wavelet for Android, or Poweramp Equalizer to decrease bass.
Depending on what ROM you use, there may also be a GEQ built directly into Android (check Settings).

Yet, I plan to attach a small mixer (a Mackie, God willing) to be able to listen to my CD, DVD and other analogue sources.
In that case, you'd have to get one with tone controls built in.

OP
E

eidoscognitio

If you have a graphic equalizer or a graphic EQ application it's easy to experiment.

But maybe you'll never like the sound and maybe you'll never like listening in mono...
Well, that´s right. Mono is not my cup of tea, and maybe the speaker is louder and coloured in a way I might never like it for music listening purposes. Yet, the question was made in order to try to catch up with someone who owns the same speaker and tried to use it for music listening at home.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks.

deprogrammed

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

Recently my wife won a JBL Partybox 1000 in a sweepstake.

I wonder if anyone knows a workaround for some way of EQing that beast to tame it for low volume music listening. Any workaround will be very appreciated.

Thank you!!!!
As other have suggested EQ at the source is the way to go. If you can place it in different parts of the room I would experiment with that. If it is in the corner move it more towards the middle of the room. Pull it away from the wall, floor, or ceiling a bit. May be fruitless but free and wouldn't take a whole lot of time. I have a larger bluetooth speaker that was boomy in the corner, moved and it is tolerable now. Not great but background music good enough.

Edit. Looking at the manual make sure the bass boost if off.

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
As I understand it, WiiM is deploying the feature of Parametric EQ for their WiiM Pro audio streamer to select beta testers this week and the upcoming 'Wiim Pro Plus' audio streamer will use a newer generation AKM DAC that may measure as having less noise and distortion at its' 3.5MM analog output than the WiiM Mini audio streamer. Perhaps the analog output of a WiiM audio streamer could apply PEQ via an analog input of the JBL ParytyBox 1000. Maybe the USB port (for flash drives) on the JBL PartyBox 1000 can also power a WiiM audio streamer. I wonder if Amir would be willing to measure this 'lifestyle' speaker and how much it would cost to ship this 77 pound behemoth to him and back to the owner.

OP
E

eidoscognitio

Well, that´s right. Mono is not my cup of tea, and maybe the speaker is louder and coloured in a way I might never like it for music listening purposes. Yet, the question was made in order to try to catch up with someone who owns the same speaker and tried to use it for music listening at home.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks.
As other have suggested EQ at the source is the way to go. If you can place it in different parts of the room I would experiment with that. If it is in the corner move it more towards the middle of the room. Pull it away from the wall, floor, or ceiling a bit. May be fruitless but free and wouldn't take a whole lot of time. I have a larger bluetooth speaker that was boomy in the corner, moved and it is tolerable now. Not great but background music good enough.

Edit. Looking at the manual make sure the bass boost if off.
Thank you. Yes, this is the JBL Partybox 1000. As long as you´re not facing it, and mostly background, that unit sound is "tolerable".

Top Bottom