• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P Studio Monitor Review

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you consider prices 705P (1190 euro) is closer to KH150 (1460 euro) than KH120 II (800 euro) in Europe.
Yeah pricing varies by market.
I don't get them as cheap looking at all. Waveguide which looks somewhat weird is different than everything we have on the market, but also technology of tweeter is different.
We use 708i as LCR in our primary system, and I also use KH 120 II on my desktop. So I know both well. I’d say JBL’s cabinet materials are better (birch ply vs. MDF) but Neumann paint quality, and general fit and finish are much better.

However, my comments about quality go to function, not aesthetics. Amir’s 705P test sample had FR errors consistent with a DSP programming errors. Amir’s 708i test sample (Part 1, Part 2) had a tweeter that, whether due to poor production QC or a running change, had FR misaligned with the DSP filters. IMO the bottom line is well sorted 7-series are competitive with anything. However, the rub is one needs to test each individual sample to confirm it’s operating correctly.

Rahan

In this world I keep my self far from price range comparison. Most manifacture fix their retail price without correlation on the building price. If Wilson audio can sell this sh$t at any price it should make us think twice. To me we should compare : use (near/mid/far) connectivity and measurements. Once there, pick the one that match your requirements and fits your wallet.

Pio

Forum Donor
I don't get them as cheap looking at all. Waveguide which looks somewhat weird is different than everything we have on the market, but also technology of tweeter is different.
Agree, the 7 series doesn't look or feel cheap. The advantage that the 7 series has over cone / dome monitors is dynamic punch and lack of dynamic compression. My 705Ps play considerably louder than my Geny 1031's which have an 8" woofer. (granted the Genys are 90's tech, but they're still amazing!) And, the compression driver sounds as sweet as any dome tweeter.

Top Bottom