• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 305p Mkii vs Edifier r1280db vs mr4

lain

Which would you pick IF your budget only allowed you to have a single unit of the JBL! Let Mortal Kombat II begin!

Edit: Should have specified. Small room. Speakers 3m away from me!

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Left is default, right is with PEQ applied to fix it's issues.

Edifier MR4:
1660619813607.png

Edifier R1280db (with bluetooth) (same as R1280T that Amir reviewed):
1660619858027.png

JBL 305P MKII:
1660619833746.png

I don't think the Edifiers hold a candle to JBL 305P MKII with no EQ or with EQ.

OP
L

lain

Alright, the single unit it is. Beats the alternatives and can be extended later.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Always easy to help other people spend money. The LSR 308 is not much more expensive, and a better speaker I think. It is bigger if that matters. It would work very well at 3 meters. I've both the 305s and 308s. You'll be very happy with either, but the 308's are better and the better deal all things considered. Look around you can get deals on this below list price.

They've been reviewed by Amir here also.

OP
L

lain

Always easy to help other people spend money. The LSR 308 is not much more expensive, and a better speaker I think. It is bigger if that matters. It would work very well at 3 meters. I've both the 305s and 308s. You'll be very happy with either, but the 308's are better and the better deal all things considered. Look around you can get deals on this below list price.

They've been reviewed by Amir here also.
Thanks, I appreciate the input, but I can't do that. The 305p is already a big stretch. By the time those speakers reach my country, their already high price (after conversion to our currency) shoots up to approximately two and a half minimum wages per unit, and a lot of us earn that around here. I would go for it otherwise.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I would go with the mr4. Collect some money until i have enough to get something that makes me realy happy.

OP
L

lain

I can get a pair of A130 for a pretty good price. Would it be better to buy those and a cheap amp? Recs for the amp?

OP
L

lain

Aiyima A07 looks to be a good proposition - cheap, workable power vs distortion figures, and at least it's got an enclosure.
Is the A06 (TPA3221) also good? I can get this one more easily.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The A05 does not bad. I think(not know) the A06 has a phono pre build in. That most people dont need.

OP
L

lain

The A05 does not bad. I think(not know) the A06 has a phono pre build in. That most people dont need.
Got the A06 as it was the one I could source locally, hoping that it inherits the qualities of its immediate siblings. Speakers and amp cost 40 bucks more than I would have spent on a single 305p unit. I'm thrilled, though they'll still take some time to arrive!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Got the A06 as it was the one I could source locally, hoping that it inherits the qualities of its immediate siblings. Speakers and amp cost 40 bucks more than I would have spent on a single 305p unit. I'm thrilled, though they'll still take some time to arrive!

At least you can now listen in stereo, what is imo muuuuch better. Now you can collect. Btw. what do you use as source? PC?

OP
L

lain

At least you can now listen in stereo, what is imo muuuuch better. Now you can collect. Btw. what do you use as source? PC?
Yup! It'll buy me some time without regrets, I assume, to think about adding a subwoofer at a later point.

TV, often connected to a PC. Considering a Chromecast for simpler music streaming in the future.

Top Bottom