• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IsoAcoustic Stand on top of 24" Floorstand to bring the speaker to ear level? Does it make sense?

Mehdiem

I’m currently using floor B&W STAV24 S2 Stands for my KEF LS50. Based on my sitting position I need to increase the height and/or tilt the speaker to alighn the centre of speaker (and tweeter) to my ear level. I need about 20cm increase in height. I was wondering if you think it makes sense if I use IsoAcoustics Iso-130 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CODRTNC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_ESKPXM1RQR9SM0VFFZ5Q for this purpose (place it between my stand and my speakers). If you have any other suggestion please let me know.

Attachments

• AC84A7B2-5337-4088-B08C-AB7745597CD6.jpeg
    AC84A7B2-5337-4088-B08C-AB7745597CD6.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 487

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I’m currently using floor B&W STAV24 S2 Stands for my KEF LS50. Based on my sitting position I need to increase the height and/or tilt the speaker to alighn the centre of speaker (and tweeter) to my ear level. I need about 20cm increase in height. I was wondering if you think it makes sense if I use IsoAcoustics Iso-130 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CODRTNC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_ESKPXM1RQR9SM0VFFZ5Q for this purpose (place it between my stand and my speakers). If you have any other suggestion please let me know.

You could if the base fits together. My only concern would be the wobbliness induced from using the longer set of tubes.

I used spare extension tubes for my own setup using their “sub” stand, but I felt one still needed to secure them more permanently somehow.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

You could if the base fits together. My only concern would be the wobbliness induced from using the longer set of tubes.

I used spare extension tubes for my own setup using their “sub” stand, but I felt one still needed to secure them more permanently somehow.

I could just not extend the height and only tilt it upward maybe?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I could just not extend the height and only tilt it upward maybe?

The iso stands come with risers but the tilt angle is limited — I presume for safety reasons. However, as pozz pointed out, directivity of the LS50 speakers are very good so even that may be enough. The stands are not too expensive, and it may be worth it in that it allows you to experiment with what height and positioning sounds the best — perhaps until you’re able to find a better, more stable replacement.

OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

The iso stands come with risers but the tilt angle is limited — I presume for safety reasons. However, as pozz pointed out, directivity of the LS50 speakers are very good so even that may be enough. The stands are not too expensive, and it may be worth it in that it allows you to experiment with what height and positioning sounds the best — perhaps until you’re able to find a better, more stable replacement.

What would be a better and more stable replacement? I couldn't find any stand that is adjustable? And the majority of them are relatively the same height (24"). I was hoping to find something adjustable so that even if I change the speakers I can still use them. I'm contemplating getting R3 maybe? I'm also concerned about the appearance of stacking two stands (mine+ISO) on top of each other. I think it might not be visually appealing.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
What would be a better and more stable replacement? I couldn't find any stand that is adjustable? And the majority of them are relatively the same height (24"). I was hoping to find something adjustable so that even if I change the speakers I can still use them. I'm contemplating getting R3 maybe? I'm also concerned about the appearance of stacking two stands (mine+ISO) on top of each other. I think it might not be visually appealing.

I haven't looked extensively, but the few adjustable stands I've considered/used for myself are primarily for studio purposes -- so the aesthetics may not fit with your own room setup.

Ex:
K&M 26740

K&M 26791

My "modded" fugly iso subwoofer stands with cheapo $24(/pair) lazy susan on top which allows me to steer the horizontal angle of the speakers -- yes, it's a bit wobbly.

1645542501330.jpeg

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A humorous way to put it! Can I not tilt with just the short legs?
Yes, you can tilt with the short tubes. It's right there on the product page. But I agree that stand on top of stand is an accident about to happen.

ISO-155-hero-new.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I skimmed through this but couldn't find the matter about directivity you mentioned
Speakers radiate sound all around in 360 degrees. They don't do this with equal strength in every direction, however. This is called directivity and it accounts for the majority of what you hear. Explanation is below.
The top black line in this first graph shows you the 0 degree response, i.e., the response when you're looking directly at the speaker, completely level with it. The rest of the curves show what happens when you combine radiation from different angles. Notice that the green line roughly follows the black line, and both pairs of blue and red lines are very similar. That's a hint about good directivity.

index.php

These two graphs here show the speakers' horizontal and vertical radiation.

index.php

index.php

Notice how similar they look. This means that the speaker radiates similarly vertically and horizontally, so listening to the left, right, above or below the center of the speaker will not be meaningfully different until, that is, you get to 60 degrees or so.

The main reason that the LS50s have these characteristics is because of the coaxial drivers, smooth front face and small size. There are two drivers, one designed to sit in the other.

Compare this to a conventional two driver speaker like the Harbeth Monitor 30: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/harbeth-monitor-30-speaker-review.11108/

1645546618960.jpeg

Because the drivers are spaced apart, the front face is bigger and has sharp edges and other discontinuities, you get a more uneven radiation pattern. Especially vertically, where you have little holes in the contours. This is a common issue with this type of design.

index.php

index.php

I agree with everyone else that leaving speakers unfixed to stands is unwise. My friend has 24" Skylan stands with LS50s and uses bluetac to attached the speaker to the platform, and spikes to fix the stand to his carpet. Looks pretty much like your setup. Sound does not shift much due to standing or sitting. That's the real test. You can simulate changing the height of the speakers without buying products

Your other options with adjustable angle (to some extent) are Auralex MoPADs or ProPADs, Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizer, or Ultimate Support MS-80. If you choose to follow this path make sure you have some way to prevent the speakers from being knocked over.

Freeway

A humorous way to put it! Can I not tilt with just the short legs?
Yes, that should work. They are quite grippy. No sliding around even if pushed.
Have had Technics SB-C700 and Revel M105 on them tilted. Both with glossy bottoms.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both LS 50 Metas and OG LS50's. Mine are on 22" Sanus stands and sound fine. LS 50's (both versions) are meant to be listened to off axis. By having them on a stand lower than ear height, you are probably putting the tweeter 15-20 degrees off-axis which is where their FR is the most even. Just use a little blue tack so they won't fall off if bumped.

OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

I have both LS 50 Metas and OG LS50's. Mine are on 22" Sanus stands and sound fine. LS 50's (both versions) are meant to be listened to off axis. By having them on a stand lower than ear height, you are probably putting the tweeter 15-20 degrees off-axis which is where their FR is the most even. Just use a little blue tack so they won't fall off if bumped.

I am thinking of an upgrade to LS50 Meta or R3? Do you hear an audible difference comparing original LS50 vs Meta? Do you have any perspective on how to they differe compared to R3?

Lawhaus

I already did exactly this. I own LS50’s + isoscoustics + stands :)

Putting the isoscoustics on top of stands in my living room was very stable. No risk of falling off whatsoever. The rubber of the iso’s make it very stable.

However the acoustic benefit, wasn’t there. Listening at 2,5-3m distance on a couch, the raised height didnt matter.

I’m now using the setup on my desktop (got R11’s for living room). For desktop the iso’s make a night and day difference in sound quality. Due to both height and vibrations.

OP
Mehdiem

Mehdiem

I already did exactly this. I own LS50’s + isoscoustics + stands :)

Putting the isoscoustics on top of stands in my living room was very stable. No risk of falling off whatsoever. The rubber of the iso’s make it very stable.

However the acoustic benefit, wasn’t there. Listening at 2,5-3m distance on a couch, the raised height didnt matter.

I’m now using the setup on my desktop (got R11’s for living room). For desktop the iso’s make a night and day difference in sound quality. Due to both height and vibrations.

How do you like R11 comparing with LS50? I’m contemplating an upgrade, to R3 or R5? I’m just afraid if I lose anything with floor standing due to room complications? What’s your experience?

Ataraxia

Iso only top or bottom bracket or short posts are fine. Also blue tac can help provide reassurance of stability. I had my LS50 Metas on Iso 155 bottom bracket on top of 28" Monolith stands and it looked and worked great.

Top Bottom