• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Topping A50S single ended output as least as good than topping L30

Josz27

Hi there.
To keep it simple I prefer the design of topping A50S over L30 and since there is no too much price difference...
I only need Single ended output.
I know measurements are not everything, so I wonder if someone have compared them in side to side test and could tell me if they are at least equal there.

o7_brother

L30 is considerably more powerful for SE output. Clear winner in my opinion for that reason alone.

A50s is a harder sell if you don't specifically plan to use the 4.4mm Balanced out.

OP
J

Josz27

NIoSaT

I just noticed this before buying an a50s o_O

Is the a50s now powerfull enough to drive "almost everything I could throw at it" or is the single ended output realy lacking in power?
I was trying to figure that out but was a bit confused by the different values.

OP
J

Josz27

I just noticed this before buying an a50s o_O

Is the a50s now powerfull enough to drive "almost everything I could throw at it" or is the single ended output realy lacking in power?
I was trying to figure that out but was a bit confused by the different values.
I just bought L30 since I only need single ended lol

kkeretic

I believe the A50s, considering its cleanness all across the high gain volume scale, should have enough power to drive the majority of "almost everything" headphones. But for single ended use only, I would rather buy the L30. Much more power for SE use, noticeably cheaper, preamp and gain switches, the same cleanness in practice. Even my A50 has more power for SE use compared to the A50s, practically the same cleanness for reasonably loud listening, now when the A50s is out found it on sale for the price of L30. The A50s in my opinion makes sense as a budget solution when both SE and balanced are used, or is planned to be used. Or to fit with the D50s even though I personally don’t suffer from "stacking syndrome".

NIoSaT

I believe the A50s, considering its cleanness all across the high gain volume scale, should have enough power to drive the majority of "almost everything" headphones. But for single ended use only, I would rather buy the L30. Much more power for SE use, noticeably cheaper, preamp and gain switches, the same cleanness in practice. Even my A50 has more power for SE use compared to the A50s, practically the same cleanness for reasonably loud listening, now when the A50s is out found it on sale for the price of L30. The A50s in my opinion makes sense as a budget solution when both SE and balanced are used, or is planned to be used. Or to fit with the D50s even though I personally don’t suffer from "stacking syndrome".
Yeah I would be interested in a balanced option, but I only have HD660s balanced so far and I have dt770s in 250 ohm which I cannot get balanced without modding them myself.
So I am still a bit worried about the single ended output power... hm guess I might get an l30 aswell

okok

L30 got power limit on power supply, a50s another beast

Cidious

I have the A50s and single ended it does suffer slightly. The balanced out does superbly though. Modding the DT770 is easy though. I nodded mine to balanced and then took the drivers out and 3D printed a new baffle and replaced the drivers with 600ohm tesla drivers..... Balanced out on the A50s drives them okishly. The single ended out is struggling on max gain.

testek

took the drivers out and 3D printed a new baffle and replaced the drivers with 600ohm tesla drivers.....
have you posted this mod somewhere? i was thinking about trying something similar.

jmillar

I have the A50s and single ended it does suffer slightly. The balanced out does superbly though. Modding the DT770 is easy though. I nodded mine to balanced and then took the drivers out and 3D printed a new baffle and replaced the drivers with 600ohm tesla drivers..... Balanced out on the A50s drives them okishly. The single ended out is struggling on max gain.

Great job! I wouldn't quite call it "easy" ;-)

Most 600 Ohm headphones are going to be challenging to drive in a "single ended"
configuration with most headphone amps. Mustn't forget to check the specs and give it some thought when choosing gear.

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
as per the ever eloquent @JohnYang1997 :), the L30 is UNBALANCED POWAAAA and the A50s is for BALANCED POWAAAAA

Top Bottom