• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any budget DAC for DSD1024?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerardo61

Sorry...
here is the source:
from post #991 you could find your answer

JSmith

Master Contributor
Each album is 4 GB.
200w.gif

JSmith

Gerardo61

To quickly fill up your hard drive! Each album is 4 GB.
Actually no because the upsampling is done by HQPlayer Server on the PC so files 16/44.1 or higher are upsampled to DSD128,256,512 or PCM up to 1536 KHz. So you don't need any more space than the native files.
All you need is a powerful PC. Personally I use an I5 12400 with 16 Gb DDR4 and I upsample up to DSD 512 without problems.
I don't have any measuring tools but IMO HQPlayer 5.5.1 with Ubuntu 22.04.3 sounds very good with a detail and three-dimensionality that I haven't found in other players (Foobar, JRiver, Daphile).
My endpoint is a SOtM 200 ultra neo connected to the Topping E30II DAC that I just purchased and which sounds wonderfully good. Amplification is entrusted to Jadis I50 (50+50w Class A push-pull KT150 tube) and the speakers are Acoustique Quality Pontos 6 with Pontos W Subwoofer

dlovesmusic

Hi, I also thought the AKM chips support DSD direct. Recent tests done by Jussi (Signalyst) have shown that both ESS and AKM do not support direct DSD.
Only Holo Cyan 2 has a double raid (PCM and DSD) which allows you to have direct DSD without using a chip
Depending on the implementation some of the akm 4499 dacs can support direct dsd in 128 and 256 according to Jussi

Last edited:

dlovesmusic

Actually no because the upsampling is done by HQPlayer Server on the PC so files 16/44.1 or higher are upsampled to DSD128,256,512 or PCM up to 1536 KHz. So you don't need any more space than the native files.
All you need is a powerful PC. Personally I use an I5 12400 with 16 Gb DDR4 and I upsample up to DSD 512 without problems.
I don't have any measuring tools but IMO HQPlayer 5.5.1 with Ubuntu 22.04.3 sounds very good with a detail and three-dimensionality that I haven't found in other players (Foobar, JRiver, Daphile).
My endpoint is a SOtM 200 ultra neo connected to the Topping E30II DAC that I just purchased and which sounds wonderfully good. Amplification is entrusted to Jadis I50 (50+50w Class A push-pull KT150 tube) and the speakers are Acoustique Quality Pontos 6 with Pontos W Subwoofer
Agreed. I am not here to promote things one way or the other. But I am curious what's all the hate for DSD, why people have to sound like DSDs are their foes that had done something bad to you before and PCMs are their allied best friends...

If you already have a capable PC, again you are only a few clicks away from giving it a try to see if it is only a matter of your DAC LED light changed and nothing else or perhaps you may come to prefer it (either for sound reason OR simply the LED light color maybe preferable to you)

And it would be totally okay to share with us, you have tried it, makes absolutely no difference to you.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the old akm4499 support dsd direct. The newer 4499ex does not support so the 4493
Yes it does:
1711727018105.png

You’ll just have to look at the right chip, so AK4191, not AL4499EX.

Last edited:

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DSD 1024! Lol, it's getting ridiculous now, and it already was really. Just no need for it, it's just numbers for marketing. I seriously would just get any well engineered DAC reviewed by Amir on here within your budget and then stick with it. We are at the point now where no matter how great the number becomes, how many DAC chips, whichever brand really as at the level of insignificance. DAC's are so good now that unless a new streaming protocol or something takes over in future you could run one for years and years with no need to upgrade beyond the itch.

dlovesmusic

According to Jussi on the Gustard A26,
"In non-direct mode AK4191 converts DSD to it's internal presentation and converts the sample rate to the one AK4499EX is set to run (either 5.6M or 11.3M). This way it can do DSD1024, etc.

In direct mode this cannot happen, thus only DSD128 or DSD256 can be played in direct mode.

AK4191 supports direct from DSD64 to DSD512. But AK4499EX only at DSD128 or DSD256. With DSD512 input the result is kind of non-direct path.

If you want to use A26 correctly in direct mode, set filter to "wide" and always use 44.1k x256 (or 44.1k x128) fixed output rate. Anything else will give you something strange."

I don't own any AKM dacs at the moment so I did not inquire further on this.

dlovesmusic

Yes, I do agree people chasing after the highest sampling rates in DSD thinking the higher must be better (no it is not) are no different than people chasing after the highest SINAD at the chart thinking SINAD at 121.3db must be better than 120.9db...

Gerardo61

According to Jussi on the Gustard A26,
"In non-direct mode AK4191 converts DSD to it's internal presentation and converts the sample rate to the one AK4499EX is set to run (either 5.6M or 11.3M). This way it can do DSD1024, etc.

In direct mode this cannot happen, thus only DSD128 or DSD256 can be played in direct mode.

AK4191 supports direct from DSD64 to DSD512. But AK4499EX only at DSD128 or DSD256. With DSD512 input the result is kind of non-direct path.

If you want to use A26 correctly in direct mode, set filter to "wide" and always use 44.1k x256 (or 44.1k x128) fixed output rate. Anything else will give you something strange."

I don't own any AKM dacs at the moment so I did not inquire further on this.
I own Topping E30II with 2 x AKM4439s but it seems can not work in direct dsd mode.
Do you have any suggestion?
Many thanks
Gerardo

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All you need to do is pay €300 for a HQPlayer licence... expensive placebo I would say. :rolleyes:

So besides the initial €300 you also get a high electricity bill as bonus for something doesn't really do anything... double pass :D

dlovesmusic

All you need to do is pay €300 for a HQPlayer licence... expensive placebo I would say. :rolleyes:

So besides the initial €300 you also get a high electricity bill as bonus for something doesn't really do anything... double pass :D
Nope, it’s free for anyone to try. I know ppl not willing to pay for the license been using the trial version for years.

Nope re electric bill either, my rpi5 that uses 27w can run up to dsd256

I honestly am not sure there’s any reason not to try it

Gerardo61

So besides the initial €300 you also get a high electricity bill as bonus for something doesn't really do anything... double pass
no costs for electricity because I have a photovoltaic system
All you need to do is pay €300 for a HQPlayer licence... expensive placebo I would say.
there is no greater deaf person than he who does not want to hear ... Italian proverb ;-)

bungle

Image/video upsampling I kinda understand as that usually works the best when algorithm or AI or whatever tries to fill in ”missing” pieces (aka modify the original). But with audio upsampling, people usually emphasise that the idea is not to modify the original. So it does not seem to add anything, just a different format (same as converting PNG to BMP, I am assuming DSD to PCM and vice versa is lossless or close to it). Then someone argues that it is best to feed DAC or something in its native format so that we can skip some processing and do this conversion somehow better than the DAC itself. Feels like somekind of voodoo.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm happy with Red Book but thanks to @MarnixM, Sound Liason and this post https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/simple-recordings.53347/post-1928942, I found, and you can try all these file formats from one master and see what you think, FOR FREE. Maybe have someone else randomly play them back to your best headphones after cleaning your ears and yawning.

dlovesmusic

There are many other features/flexibiity than just upsampling and modulation in hqplayer that makes it worth the 300 price tag

That of course would be a separate topic for discussion.

Again the program itself is free to try it for yourself to see if you like it. I know a few folks who are not willing to pay for the license and been using the trial version for years but they like the sound quality and could not go back to using other playback apps.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But I am curious what's all the hate for DSD, why people have to sound like DSDs are their foes that had done something bad to you before and PCMs are their allied best friends...
Because nobody has ever proven any objective audible improvement over PCM. It’s like audio homeopathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom