• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Romance of High Fidelity Audio Today Dead?

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just reporting what my source told me. It was a hot topic the previous (school) year, but apparently all the interested parties got their turntables and it's no longer trending. She's not about to give up her Spotify subscription for a turntable, if you ask me.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
As much as I enjoy the technology and (yes) the science of sound reproduction -- first and foremost, I enjoy music.
And music is doin' just fine.

Which is my typically egocentric way of answering the titular question. :) My answer: No, the romance isn't dead.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Science is pretty romantic if you ask me. Some guy toiling away in calculations and research into the small hours of the night, wiping sweat from his brow, designing, testing, refining with rigorous discipline. Wow.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Science is pretty romantic if you ask me. Some guy toiling away in calculations and research into the small hours of the night, wiping sweat from his brow, designing, testing, refining with rigorous discipline. Wow.

I think that's a romantic view of science and scientists. Not one that will get you much romance with lady scientists either ;-)

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Hmm but it’s still so much desinformation out there so it’s still hard to do properly, most audiophiles still overspend on source components and buy to small and to expensive speakers and use no kind of room correction.
But this is also why it’s all dwindling to irrelevance. Any noob looking in to audiophiledom from the outside must be thoroughly confused . So I disagree somewhat :) but its correct in that if you know what to look for its easy to find a performance DAC for example , that i agree with.
Words out of my mouth. There is still room for error in buying into boutique companies who flaunt their stories and styling more than their specs.
Room correction and parametric EQ in general are underutilized in both headphones and speakers. Room correction requires a proper, calibrated mic. But, you can EQ the anechoic response files of speakers with REW and responses of headphones with AutoEQ for free in little time, and get a much more major enhancement than most source-component upgrades.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe there's a reason that vintage stereo receivers have been fetching fairly steep prices: You get a lot of tactile qualities in just one box. And the Kenwood KR-7050 incorporates a weighted tuning knob, push button switches, sliders, toggles, rotary controls, and no less than 4 galvanometers!

My late model Marantz AVR is a lot more sophisticated but the physical controls are nothing to write home about: The front panel and large knobs are plastic, and there's no sensation of mass, just a lightweight rubbery feel.

kenwood-kr-7050-ad-1.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe there's a reason that vintage stereo receivers have been fetching fairly steep prices: You get a lot of tactile qualities in just one box. And the Kenwood KR-7050 incorporates a weighted tuning knob, push button switches, sliders, toggles, rotary controls, and no less than 4 galvanometers!

My late model Marantz AVR is a lot more sophisticated but the physical controls are nothing to write home about: The front panel and large knobs are plastic, and there's no sensation of mass, just a lightweight rubbery feel.

View attachment 106751
Flaunting my old school credentials.

Yeah, but it says Kenwood. Right on the front. Undoes all the good.

Now if it were a Marantz from those years we'd be talking something then.

Robin L

Master Contributor

View attachment 106751

In the midst of this audiophile hot mess:

154424_479726092079653_340421121_n.jpg

is a Kenwood KR 9600, which survived this Frankenstein's Monster of a system. Here is a promotional glamor shot.

kenwood-kr-9600-120029.jpg

Kinda dry and congested, but how could one blame it under these conditions? A solid workhorse for the time. I think it set me back $50 in 2005.

[PS: Lookit all them dials 'n' switches! It drinks Deoxit.]

xykreinov

Forum Donor

View attachment 106751
I do love more tactile controls and analog meters of various sorts. The latter is something I especially wish were still incorporated. I hope to retrofit some lesser CRTs I'm not afraid to burn-in into some sorts of visualizers. I hope to incorporate an analog VU meter into my setup someday, too.

BillG

Major Contributor
If one longs for all those dials and knobs, the warm glow of vacuum tubes, heavy platters, and curvy tonearms, I'd guess that contemporary, minimalist, software remote controlled via a smartphone gear wouldn't make them fall in love with the equipment like the audiophiles of yesteryear.

I happen to straddle both generations - I remember the vintage equipment and its styling, even though I've no longing for it - but I'm very much a product of the Information Age and even helped to usher it in.

A black box integrated amp the size of a hard drive is sexy to me. I'd love it if high fidelity transducers were reduced to mere panels of glass, or better yet, invisible massless drivers that don't exist until switched on. (Although, I'm quite happy with those that are small enough to fit in one's ears when I'm on the go.) The wireless transmission of power and flawless audio is sexy to me. A well designed and easy-to-use UI/UX is sexy to me.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
A black box integrated amp the size of a hard drive is sexy to me. I'd love it if high fidelity transducers were reduced to mere panels of glass, or better yet, invisible massless drivers that don't exist until switched on. (Although, I'm quite happy with those that are small enough to fit in one's ears when I'm on the go.) The wireless transmission of power and flawless audio is sexy to me. A well designed and easy-to-use UI/UX is sexy to me.
I too would love for maximum practicality to be standard. The less mass by default without sacrificing ergonomics of controls, the better. I'd rather pick my own visualizers and controls, whether physical or digital, than pick between those integrated into the DAC or AMP. The more I can focus on specs and forgo bloated mass that doesn't help the experience, the better. Though, I'll likely never long for wireless tech all too much, my tendency to be a latency-freak being one reason.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I happen to straddle both generations - I remember the vintage equipment and its styling, even though I've no longing for it - but I'm very much a product of the Information Age and even helped to usher it in.
Admittedly, I myself own just one small (and currently unused) vintage receiver, while I just spent the past day geeking out about Moode audio player running on Raspberry Pi, it's 12-band parametric equalizer, support for GPIO-connected buttons and touch screen.

And I find it simply amazing that Infineon accomplishes 40 watt peak output power from a small board which shares it's 5 volt, 2 amp power supply with a Raspberry Pi SBC.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks awesome, but I'll never forget the time I was gifted with a Marantz 4400 quadraphonic receiver and discovered it was too big to fit onto any of my shelves, and was relieved when the former owner decided he wanted it back (this was in the 1980s and long before anyone dreamed of charging 3000 USD for the things).

Robin L

Master Contributor
That looks awesome, but I'll never forget the time I was gifted with a Marantz 4400 quadraphonic receiver and discovered it was too big to fit onto any of my shelves, and was relieved when the former owner decided he wanted it back (this was in the 1980s and long before anyone dreamed of charging 3000 USD for the things).
50 lbs of receiver.

Rack handles. Joke being this was far too wide for any rack.

It was great fun but it was just one of those things.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In the midst of this audiophile hot mess:

View attachment 106755

is a Kenwood KR 9600, which survived this Frankenstein's Monster of a system. Here is a promotional glamor shot.

View attachment 106756

Kinda dry and congested, but how could one blame it under these conditions? A solid workhorse for the time. I think it set me back $50 in 2005.

[PS: Lookit all them dials 'n' switches! It drinks Deoxit.]

Why does it have 4 VU meters?

Surely it's not 4 channel...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Why does it have 4 VU meters?

Surely it's not 4 channel...
Two are for tuning; one for sensitivity/signal strength, the other to adjust to the center of a channel. I used the FM tuner of that receiver a lot.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Two are for tuning; one for sensitivity/signal strength, the other to adjust to the center of a channel. I used the FM tuner of that receiver a lot.
TRIO/Kenwood was, first and foremost, a radio company (still are, at least, I think they still are!) -- and they took their radios seriously.
Here's an example (fairly modest, actually, but the best I can do myself): one of the two models they labeled KT-9900. This one is "just" a gunmetal-colored faceplate variant of the KT-8300. Note that Kenwood gave the KT-8300/KT-9900 purchaser three meters to watch. :)

DSC_9935 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have fond memories around Kenwood receivers. The director of the children’s choir attached to the same church where I was singing in the Gregorian schola cantorum (Saint Quentin’s in Leuven, Belgium) was by day producer at the Belgian Radio. He’d just bought a Kenwood receiver and B&W speakers, and invited some of us to come and listen to a transmission of Bach’s Matthäus Passion he had recorded in the local music academy (I had been asked to sing in the choir as they were short of basses; the Evangelist was Louis Devos, a then famous Belgian tenor who gave one of the most impressive performances of the role ever, with a stunning rendition of “Und siehe da, der Vorhang im Tempel zerriss in zwei Stück...”, absolute weak-in-the-knees stuff). No doubt the circumstances and my memory of the actual performance contributed, but I was totally bowled over by the sound quality (of an FM broadcast!) and for quite a while, Kenwood and B&W were the equipment I aspired to. I must have been about 18 in those days.

Top Bottom