• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Arcam rhead still relevant in 2022

I currently have an Arcam rHead but am thinking about a change. Wouldn't want to spend more than about £500 so I wondered can the Arcam be bettered now in 2022? I'd like a bit more power and perhaps even balanced output rather than just balanced input but i'd also want an improvement in the sound so is it possible?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The spec looks good enough. The biggest weakness IMHO is noise: SNR 98 dBA @ 2 V output (projected to be 66 dBA @ 50 mV). If you are not bothered by noise now, and if you are not getting super high efficiency IEMs, it should be fine and you aren't going to be benefitted from a "higher performance" amp.

Balanced output for headphone amps are only necessary when its power supply voltage is limited (such as USB powered dongles), and you have inefficient headphones. Those shouldn't be a problem for this amp. Why do you think you need more power?

arcam.png

OP
D
"Why do you think you need more power?" - I was looking at the position of the volume control (75% on quiter stuff) with my Sundara's and thinking about possible future upgrades to more power hungry headphones, but following your comment I decided to try and see if I could turn it full. I hadn't realised just how much it had left!

Burn1

Not sure what the other poster was using as a source feeding their amp, but Arcam rhead I have is being driven via Mark Levinson 5101 player. Have zero complaints.

Wanted a Class A headphone amp and it delivers for me.

Source you feed it & Can’s you listen thru are all part of the equation.

OP
D
Well, after 4.5 years and I only paid £135 for it then, my Arcam rHead has finally died. It still plays audio but has a repetitive beep on the left channel at all times.

Just ordered an SMSL HO200. I've got the DO100 DAC but I'm going for the extra power, true balanced output and pre outs of the HO200 rather than the HO100 especially as Amazon currently have a 15% off deal so I've got it for £305.

OP
D
Well, to answer my own original question. The SMSL HO200 is an upgrade. MUsically they're very similar as good amps should be but there's an extra prescence in the SMSL and more attack. Definitely a noticeable improvement. I'm almost glad the Arcam failed now.

Top Bottom