• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Soekris dac1321 worth buying?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Calexico

Yes. And when his assertion was tested by others (most notably NHK), it failed. That's how science works.
Then i should adapt my hear and my brain to science and start hearing stuff that i don't enjoy

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Or if you want to understand reality, do controlled listening tests.

If make-believe is good enough for you, great.

Calexico

Here it's like in medicin with statin.
Statin very good for everybody
Sinad thd very good for enjoying music lol

And science that try to go further is discredited.

Calexico

The site is very good but what i don't like is that it offer only point of view on one scientific aspect and don't think on new aspects that could improve the measurement.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The site is very good but what i don't like is that it offer only point of view on one scientific aspect and don't think on new aspects that could improve the measurement.

You are presenting another point of view, and offering it on this site.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but research should go further cause that could explain tube enjoyment.

There is research out there that at least suggests that some subjects have a preference for a certain degree of audible distortion. There is no research suggesting that this need have anything to do with tubes though.

Calexico

You are presenting another point of view, and offering it on this site.
To my intuition i m sure something miss in the tests.
Although i know they are very important and revealing.
That is not scientific but the best scientist have made great discovers by Intuition .

I have to say that i m bluespower i was banned. I m not here to be bad or polemic but i find some people here are tough and scinic when talking about tube and r2r and i find important that people reading these forums have other point of views. To me buffer tube is the best upgrade on my system.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have to say that i m bluespower i was banned.

Are you sure?

1558468195449.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but research should go further cause that could explain tube enjoyment.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I have a tube amp and several tube headphone amps. I enjoy them a lot, and I tube roll.
They make me feel good and sometimes help me enjoy the music more.

Why do I enjoy them?
  • I am old, and the tubes remind me of the old table radios my family had when I was growing up - nostalgic warm fuzzies
  • I like the glow....turn down the lights and just listen, helps me focus on the sound and releases endorphins.
  • I like tweeking stuff....there was a lot to tweek with turntables....not so much with current digital gear. Tubes give me an inexpensive way to try tubes from all over the world and from different generations and tweek.
  • The stuff just looks great...even some of the cheaper Chinese stuff looks really cool.
I have never blind tested the sound with Sold State Amps. There are some obvious verifiable differences. My tube amp has 3 watts and will not play loud.

BUT, I do not feel bad about having prejudices and preferences, any more than I feel bad about liking vanilla over chocolate. There are many active members here who own very expensive DACs. There is little to no evidence these DACs sound better. But if you enjoy them, that's great.

garbulky

Major Contributor
To my intuition i m sure something miss in the tests.
Although i know they are very important and revealing.
That is not scientific but the best scientist have made great discovers by Intuition .

I have to say that i m bluespower i was banned. I m not here to be bad or polemic but i find some people here are tough and scinic when talking about tube and r2r and i find important that people reading these forums have other point of views. To me buffer tube is the best upgrade on my system.
I too think there’s stuff that’s missing but I don’t know what it is.

Calexico

What is it and what did it replace?
Ak4490 dac board alimented by 12 v linear psu to passive pre with pot to tube buffer fx audio with pot (alimented by 12v linea psu) to tpa3255 amp board (with high power meanwell 32v switching psu)
Well it's lot of cheap boards but i enjoy :)

Same chain without the tube buffer is less enjoyable. But when connected to my cd player i preffer without the buffer cause i think the cd player already has a opa buffer. Inprefer dac + tube buffer than dac without buffer and than cd player without buffer.

Calexico

Also the linear PSU had a very good impact on sound quality vs the wall wart switching psu on dac and tube buffer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If i listen other a week an opa and i don't like the sound then i change the opa for a week i like the other better. Then i switch back to the other opa and i feel i don't like and find it fatiguing. You say it's purely psychological? Well i prefer enjoying my music so science doesn't help here.
I listen to my system and without change, sometimes I don't like it as much as other times. So yes, it is psychological or more precisely, the fact that you have a brain that interprets what you hear and that interpretation is based on more than sound waves hitting your ears.

The science can help you avoid the extra work you are going through with swapping op-amps. And to save others from the work, expense and confusion about real audio science.

Top Bottom