• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Adaboy4z

When I was younger I purchased a new CD or two a week. I haven't purchased music in a long time. When Hastings went out of business they where selling CD for change and I cleaned up then. A lot of music is a remake of an old song anyways.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Every now and then I get Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence as an ear worm out of nowhere. Every time I then listen to it I get disappointed. The version that lives its own life in my head is much bigger, more complex and textured in a way that connects with my emotions. The real track is still great, but since I've never really listened that much to Depeche Mode, I seem to lack that bit of nostalgia needed to melt it all together.
There are a couple versions out there, some much longer than others. Violator in general is an album you need to listen to loud, with good stereo separation. Maybe I just have that nostalgia but there are a lot of Depeche Mode albums that still blow me away.

Well, current mainstream music is utter garbage. However, there are some good modern genres and artists that don't get a huge attention. I myself like to listen to some Drum and Bass and Demoscene music (both are electronic genres).

Drum & Bass has also been around for decades. Demoscene is obvious throwback. I regret to inform you that you're listening to Old Music.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Drum & Bass has also been around for decades. Demoscene is obvious throwback. I regret to inform you that you're listening to Old Music.
As Stratus said "Drum and Bass and Demoscene" they obviously get the connection. The "regret" appears gratuitous. Why so intent on telling people they are deluded wrt "old" vs "new" without addressing reactions to your earlier post? I liked Robin L's post, it was quite insightful.

Last edited:

Stratus

There are a couple versions out there, some much longer than others. Violator in general is an album you need to listen to loud, with good stereo separation. Maybe I just have that nostalgia but there are a lot of Depeche Mode albums that still blow me away.

The Genres are old but there are recent releases like in the case of D&B:
Does this count as new music?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Speaking of old music:

Stratus

In my opinion a good start to improve music these days is to fix the mastering. I hate how most of the releases these days have low dynamic range.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I supposed to feel guilty as a boomer because I think Billy Eilish (+bro) is worth every penny of her $50+million wealth?
Me too! I find pink noise very soothing, but white noise? Not so much. :D
I may think of just giving it all up for a Shumann device:
Shumann Device - Product Description
We are a team that researches extremely low frequencies. We have experienced from the early imitation to the current development. In this process, we have received support and guidance from various professionals. Especially the design of the antenna and the comprehensive feedback from more than 2,000 V1 series extremely low frequency generator customers in the early stage, our team is sincerely grateful!
Combining the needs of different customers, our V2 series will successively release various professional application versions.
The fundamental difference between V1 series and V2 series: V1 series is to solve whether there is Schumann wave, V2 series is to solve how to apply Schumann wave-professional segmentation application
Popular science:
What is Schumann wave? Schumann wave is a kind of electromagnetic wave with a frequency of 7.83HZ. It is called "Schumann wave" because it was discovered by German physicist Schumann.
According to the common practice in the scientific community, it was named after the discoverer (inventor).
The typical application of the Schumann wave must be that NASA is used in the space warehouse (space station) to maintain the physical and mental health of astronauts.
According to an internal article that studies the "Secrets of Longevity Village" in Taiwan and mainland China, it is concluded that the intensity of the Schumann wave in "Changshou Village" is generally higher than that in cities.
A side note:
Schumann wave (7.83HZ) was discovered in 1952 and defined by our team as a classical frequency; in the current urban situation, some scholars used mathematical models to construct a new generation of Schumann wave frequency of 12HZ.
However, about every 10 years, the Schumann wave frequency All must change, and there is a tendency to return to the classical frequency of 7.83HZ.
Features of the V20 version of the electronic tube Schumann wave-extremely low frequency generator:
1. Slow and fast The 7.83HZ frequency system is relatively "slow" and slow, often so slow that the frequency is emitted or the emission is extremely low.
We added a high-speed circuit to make it "fast". This "fast" is reflected in the quality of the output. "on.
2. Schumann wave with rich second harmonics, real Schumann wave The second harmonic is a wave that is most acceptable to the body and is very comfortable.
At the beginning of the design, we have been working hard around the second harmonic. From the power supply to the generator, the second harmonic is very rich. Device.
3. High voltage Up to 125V working voltage, fully "explode" the second harmonic performance of the tube
4. A new generation of high-density magnetic field antenna Preferably up to 43 turns of threaded antenna, with greater magnetic density and no directivity, and very comfortable
5. Optimized parameters for sleep, configure the linear power supply of the MOS tube, a one-step choice!
Detailed parameters
Schumann wave frequency: 7.83Hz Power output: DC6V Power input: AC115V or AC230V
Instructions for use
It is recommended to place the product at a height of 1.5 meters, and the area of a single product should not exceed 18 square meters. If you exceed 18 square meters, please increase the purchase quantity.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Music now lives on other platforms than before. Bandcamp and similar sites makes it easy for an artist to sell direct to the public, even on vinyl, and full outside the control of the organised music industry. And there are many underground scenes with huge following that opperate like that. Some of those vinyl releases is also found in underground record shops or record shops that serve also that underground (like my favorite one, the Music Mania in Gent, Belgium). But you won't find those in the official charts or mainstream shops, nor on spotify or other streaming services (as they don't pay well and the artists don't need that kind of promotion to sell). The record companies and top30 systems are only a small part of the total music scene, and are more and more bypassed because it's not usefull for the artist to deal with them.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is "old" music killing new music? As "old" is defined here, I don't really care. I listen almost exclusively to music of the Classical genre or which most -- but not quite all -- is much older than the "old" music discussed here.

Top Bottom