• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Taddpole

Rosy Retrospection bias?
Who was this female singer? I’d like to take a listen. You mention a name, Steely Dan, for one side of your argument, but leave the other side anonymous. This hardly seems like a rigorous way of presenting a conclusion.
If it's not Adele I'll be staggered.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
If it's not Adele I'll be staggered.
I did a cursory search…
https://medium.com/mlearning-ai/adeles-lyrics-analysis-in-r-dbca81a80487 which led me to https://towardsdatascience.com/text-analysis-of-successful-song-lyrics-e41a4ccb26f5
Finally I found https://word.tips/singers-vocabularies/
Some interesting observations to digest.

1643379150372.jpg

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Why is this not more obvious to a greater number of critics? Great comment! Jim
Indeed. I occasionally listen to the radio in the car. Here in Italy, even with a DJ, song after song is played with no mention of the artist or song title. I guess if I had a fancier stereo, the display would tell me the song being played. Not a great aid to road safety, especially with ageing eyesight!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Is old music killing new music?
Hopefully! :p

...But realistically, culture and technology have changed.

RC231

Another take from an old millennial. Streaming makes it easy for me to find new music of the genre and sub genres I like and I don't like anything that would make the billboard charts. The curve of popularity has flattened and the tail is much longer and fatter than it used to be because the major labels and radio stations aren't gate keeping. This means fewer huge hits but lots of creative bands that previously would be playing local gigs and giving tapes to friends can have a worldwide audience that might number in the thousands.
see: The Long Tail

Hapo

...CELTICA - Pipes Rock ! springs to mind...

...I am pre boomer and just love what the kids are up to these days...

Last edited:

Taddpole

I mean I may have been wrong and it's odd to obsess on hearing one song on that topic, not as though there aren't many old tracks in similar vein. Anyway he seems to see using too many words as a problem not a good thing. If it was her maybe he'll give it another go given she's quite low on that list.

Interesting to see where some of the biggest legends are on that vocabularies list. Seems they very much found a formula and stuck with it for decades.

Also found it interesting that Bjork was so high given it's not her first language, but she does explore.

Not sure I've ever heard Steely Dan.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

Over a $Billion in the first 10 names. Money the music business could have spent developing new artists. Get ready to hear more of these and less new music. A total shift in the way music makes money will change the way music/artist is developed.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Recently i mentioned to me wife that probably 85% of the music that I like Is from artists that are dead for the better part of the last 20 years.

I'm 35 years old but when young people mention bands, I dont know most of them.. or when I do it's only by name.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor

Over a $Billion in the first 10 names. Money the music business could have spent developing new artists. Get ready to hear more of these and less new music. A total shift in the way music makes money will change the way music/artist is developed.
That might well be a good thing. Bandcamp is hopefully the dominant future model for new artists as well as established, less well-known names. My purchasing of music is probably 80% now on bandcamp. I am still yet to make any foray into streaming services. I just don’t like the model vis-à-vis artist payments.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

audio2design

Major Contributor

Well that is a hot and rather wrong take.

2020 to 2021 streaming increase was about 15%.

Do you 50% of an 8" pizza, or 25% of a 16" pizza?

The share went down, but the pie got bigger, and based on the numbers, that tells me the number of streams of new music went up.

Of course, this is also about simple demographic and usage changes. As more older people get into streaming, of course more of the older catalog is going to be streamed compared to new songs. The pie is getting bigger, it does not mean new songs are not being listened to at all.

Or put another way, man who doesn't understand math, statistics or demographics as applied to a market makes a video.

Here is a list of the top streamed songs on Spotify of all time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-streamed_songs_on_Spotify

How many are more than 10 years old? Almost none. Ed Sheeran is making some serious coin, even with the low per stream payment and overhead to all the hands in the pocket.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
It's because the old music is great, and the new music is shit.

This really isn't complicated. :cool:

The real question is why? Did talent disappear, I don't think so. Part of the answer is in my last post, music business dosn't spend the money it use to to find and develop new artists. And they want instant success, where many of these great old bands took 2 or 3 albums to get a hit but the labels kept supporting them anyway. Today many of them would dissapear after there first album and no one would know them.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah not realy IMO. I'am 62 i like the old stuff but man there is lots going on with new music that inspires me more than the old stuff.
To name a few i realy like Ghostpoet, Kamaal Williams, Alfa Mist, Makaya Mccraven, Snark Puppy an i could go on. Fresh new interpetations that give my neurons fresh pheromons for thought.:cool:

Last edited:

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Music reached its zenith on 13 April, 1742. Seventeen years and one day later, the decline began. There were a few welcome plateaus along the way before the precipice, and then the lych bell was loudly tolled in the 20th century. Now we're at the zombie stage, I think. At least there are recordings to help humanity's remnants survive until Apollo and Calliope bring forth another Orpheus, or he returns once more from the Underworld!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does this mean people are finally once again favoring music made by actual musicians playing actual instruments?
BINGO, give that man the main prize.
Modern "music" has been the victory of rhythm over melody. Much of it created by computer.
Rap and hip-hop, along with the copied style in much of whats contained in other genre's, is simply not MUSIC
Why all the words, guess, they're setting the rhythm. Along with spit-popping into a mic. LOL

The real question is why? Did talent disappear,
Well yea, kind of. Who wants or needs to go thru all the trouble of learning to play a musical instrument today, not in any way necessary. You can be a super star and make a billion without ever having picked up an instrument.
But all that rhythm'd noise leaves a whole in the body & soul of music.
Why has Classical music lived on for hundred of years?
Music IS made by actual musicians playing actual instruments.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was goin' crazy, so crazy I knew I could break through with you
So with one hand I rocked you and with one heart I reached for you
Ah, I knew your youth was for the takin', fire on a mental plane
So I ran through the fields as the bats with their baby vein faces
Burst from the barn and flames in a violent violet sky
And I fell on my knees and pressed you against me
Your soul was like a network of spittle
Like glass balls movin' in like cold streams of logic
And I prayed as the lightning attacked
That something will make it go crack