• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible to use an AVR output ( e.g. Zone 2) to feed an headphone amplifier?

ririt

I am currently using a Denon 4700h in preamp mode to feed my hifi / 5.1 home cinema set up via a combo of Purifi / Hypex power amps from March Audio. I am very happy of my system. However, I am intending to buy an Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT (closed) to do some headphone listening in my living room. Since I do not think that the headphone output of the Denon 4700 will properly power the Aeon RT, I am envisaging to connect the zone 2 or zone 3 output to a good headphone amplifier. Is there any contra-indication to do it? Does anyone already do it?
i am looking forward receiving your feedbacks

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use the headphones ‘phono’ output in the front of the AVR directly to a headphone amplifier.

OP
R

ririt

You can use the headphones ‘phono’ output in the front of the AVR directly to a headphone amplifier.
Ok but I do not think that it can properly drive an headphone like the Aeon RT which has both a low impedance and a low sensitivity. That is why I am envisaging what described in my previous post

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Took me a minute to realize you are talking about running zone 2 pre outs to a headphone amp and then use the headphone amp to power the headphones... yeah, that should work just fine.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could see where you might wish to create a series of headphone specific setting (eq, dsp) and have them reside in a specific zone, but using the amp of the Av seems like overkill if not downright dangerous to your headphone and/or your hearing. Should work just fine if yoiu're running those zone settings to the headphone amp.

OP
R

ririt

Took me a minute to realize you are talking about running zone 2 pre outs to a headphone amp and then use the headphone amp to power the headphones... yeah, that should work just fine.
Sorry english is not my native language (I am french)...You are absolutely right I want to connect the zone 2 or the zone 3 pre outs to an headphone amp. I am glad to read that it should be fine!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok but I do not think that it can properly drive an headphone like the Aeon RT which has both a low impedance and a low sensitivity. That is why I am envisaging what described in my previous post
This is not what @abdo123 wrote. His idea is to use the phono output of the AVR to feed the headphone amplifier, not the headphone itself. This should work without problems, you just need a special cable or an adapter.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

it doesn’t matter the headphone amplifier that you will buy it will amplify the signal.

it’s just an extra option, choose the most convenient one.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently using a Denon 4700h in preamp mode to feed my hifi / 5.1 home cinema set up via a combo of Purifi / Hypex power amps from March Audio. I am very happy of my system. However, I am intending to buy an Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT (closed) to do some headphone listening in my living room. Since I do not think that the headphone output of the Denon 4700 will properly power the Aeon RT, I am envisaging to connect the zone 2 or zone 3 output to a good headphone amplifier. Is there any contra-indication to do it? Does anyone already do it?
i am looking forward receiving your feedbacks
Maybe if you add a headphone amplifier with pre-outs between the AVR front pre-outs and the power amplifier for the fronts? Like a Topping A30Pro for example.

AVR front pre-outs RCA => Topping A30 Pro => power amp => front speakers.

OP
R

ririt

This is not what @abdo123 wrote. His idea is to use the phono output of the AVR to feed the headphone amplifier, not the headphone itself. This should work without problems, you just need a special cable or an adapter.
Sorry Aldo and Ltig I read too fast and did not catch your suggestion. However my Denon do not have phono output…

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry Aldo and Ltig I read too fast and did not catch your suggestion. However my Denon do not have phono output…
If you open the panel on the front you should find to the lower right a 6.5mm stereo phones output (my bad that I wrote phono output :facepalm:, such a thing exists only on turntables without builtin phono cable).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you open the panel on the front you should find to the lower right a 6.5mm stereo phones output (my bad that I wrote phono output :facepalm:, such a thing exists only on turntables without builtin phono cable).

Hahahaha I did the same mistake, probably the whole reason behind this confusion.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My phones output on my Denon amp was quite decent when i used it, I would seriously try it first before you purchase anything else.

Top Bottom