• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp to Zone 2 (or 3)

Chesapeake HT

Good evening all, I recently picked up an Atom Amp+, which is great with the Atom DAC+ and new HD650s for my computer setup! I’m now toying with the idea of a second Atom Amp+ to add to my main system. So I have connected the current headphone amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs on my Denon x4700h. I am going through the Zone 2 Setup options on the AVR and there is the option for HDMI Audio to be either “Through” (pass through) or “PCM”. Any advice for which one to select? My source of music, TV, etc. is an AppleTV connected via HDMI to my AVR.

Thanks for any advice.

OP
C

Chesapeake HT

Looking at the Zone 3 setup menu, there is no option for selecting the HDMI Audio signal format. Perhaps that may be easier?

OP
C

Chesapeake HT

Well, looks like “Through” should be the best choice now that I’ve read a bit more on what the “PCM” choice would do to the output signal (i.e., digitize the analog signal). Guess I should have taken my own advice and researched a little more before asking a self-answerable question. At least there will be something to find if someone else searches for a similar situation.

If there is more to this or something I’m missing, by all means let me know. Cheers

Last edited:

Mkilbride

I'd pick PCM. When I do Through, some audio does not play. Similar situation to you here. Using a Amp connected to my Denon Line Out.

Top Bottom