• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Amateur Piano Recording This Hard?

goat76

Major Contributor
I do...

the whole thing is fake utoob nonsense... believe what you want... you like fake stuff? - fine with me...
20 takes isn't playing the piano - it's drooling without skill...

not important?... ummm yeah, it kind of is...
it's billed as a piano performance - when in fact it is not... it's cheap eye candy - nothing more...

extraordinarily good - no - it's too wet... I said earlier the piano sound was ok...
there's great - there's 'not great' - ok is the latter...

Why this bullshit comment about my taste, we (as in you and me) have not even talked about anyone’s taste here.

I’m just talking about what I’m convinced has been done for this video and audio recording, andIs see no extraordinary with this production or why she’s not the person who played the piano on the recording.

We can probably search for more videos of her playing, videos that are much more simple production-wise that shows that she actually can play the piano for real.

Last edited:

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's a Yamaha CLP 765. I have one (earlier model, in black).
I could simply load and fake what she plays on it.

In fact, I did that on occasions when I had contractors in the house. They were very impressed.

And, no, I won't record a video for you guys, as I definitely miss some essential misdirection material/fleshware!

View attachment 283650
thanks for the heads up on the actual instrument...

thecheapseats

Why is this bullshit comment about my taste, we (as in you and me) have not even talked about anyone’s taste here.

I’m just talking about what I’m convinced has been done for this video and audio recording, andIs see no extraordinary with this production or why she’s not the person who played the piano on the recording.

We can probably search for more videos of her playing, videos that are much more simple production-wise that shows that she actually can play the piano for real.
by all means - go look for her playing... have fun!...

goat76

Major Contributor
any luck yet?... keep trying!...

I don't have time, I’m at work and I‘m personally not interested in her videos. You seem eager for more videos of her though, maybe I find some time later today or tomorrow. We'll see.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Here are two ladies who are definitely not faking it. Sounds too good for amateur recording, anyway.

Hiromi Uehara:

Yuja Wang:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as the "lady in white" is concerned, she seems OKish on the Bosendorfer (see her video). None of the pieces played on her channel are hard tbh.
There are probably tens of thousands of people around who play at least as well as she does. I see nothing wrong with low to mid-level musicians/artists finding their niche and generating a bit of revenue.

It is so subjective anyway: let's keep in mind that her video initially showed up in this thread as an example of a decent amateur recording of a piano performance. ;)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I want to recommend this documentary. While it's mostly about piano tuning, they also record it and you can see video from within the control room.

As Steinway & Sons’ chief technician and Master Tuner in Vienna, Stefan Knüpfer is dedicated to the unusual task of pairing world-class instruments with world-famous pianists. Featuring Lang Lang, Alfred Brendel, Rudolf Buchbinder and more.

thecheapseats

I want to recommend this documentary. While it's mostly about piano tuning, they also record it and you can see video from within the control room.

it's a fascinating film if you find the 'rarefied air' of world-class concertizing pianists interesting...

goat76

Major Contributor
As far as the "lady in white" is concerned, she seems OKish on the Bosendorfer (see her video). None of the pieces played on her channel are hard tbh.
There are probably tens of thousands of people around who play at least as well as she does. I see nothing wrong with low to mid-level musicians/artists finding their niche and generating a bit of revenue.

It is so subjective anyway: let's keep in mind that her video initially showed up in this thread as an example of a decent amateur recording of a piano performance. ;)

Exactly, there are tens of thousands of half-decent piano players out there who can play the songs she is playing. If she just wanted to fake it, why not go for something more advanced instead? :)

As you say, the thread is about amateur piano recordings.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not quite clear what sound quality can be transmitted in Youtoube videos. I see it mostly only as preview quality not for serious listening. Does anyone know more specific?
Youtube accepts *uploads* of lossless PCM as well as lossy. Playback format really seems to depend vastly on context, with the algorithm having several options to choose from (all lossy AFAIK). See this post for an analysis of one good-sounding video

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do...

the whole thing is fake utoob nonsense... believe what you want... you like fake stuff? - fine with me...
20 takes isn't playing the piano - it's drooling without skill...
You think Pollini was fake too?

He's famous for edits.

But he certainly can deliver the same astonishing precision when playing live.

I don't know if you listen to recorded popular music since the 1960s but....psssst....most of it is assembled from 'takes' and 'overdubs', rather than complete performances with all musicians present in the room.. And with 'punch ins' after.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Youtube accepts *uploads* of lossless PCM as well as lossy. Playback format really seems to depend vastly on context, with the algorithm having several options to choose from (all lossy AFAIK). See this post for an analysis of one good-sounding video
Thank you, I have now learned a bit more. I had not yet discovered 'Stats for Nerds' on YouTube, now I can look there for: opus, format id 251

This is sufficient for HiFi playback imo, if the recording is made professionally.

thecheapseats

You think Pollini was fake too?

He's famous for edits.

But he certainly can deliver the same astonishing precision when playing live.

I don't know if you listen to recorded popular music since the 1960s but....psssst....most of it is assembled from 'takes' and 'overdubs', rather than complete performances with all musicians present in the room.. And with 'punch ins' after.

I know a bit about that... : )

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet you believe "20 takes isn't playing the piano - it's drooling without skill..." ?

thecheapseats

Yet you believe "20 takes isn't playing the piano - it's drooling without skill..." ?

Top Bottom