• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is a Sound Interface the best way to connect studio monitors to your PC?

Room Service

So I'm looking to buy a new Sound Interface, however, there's something I've noticed on them that made me realise how wasteful it is to get one. It's not that they're bad, aux contraire. The problem is, I don't use all the other functions that comes with them like Mic in and Guitar Amp things. I'm a DJ, not a musician so those functions go right past me.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a Sound Interface that doesn't have these redundant functions or something other than a SI that can connect my monitors to my PC.

Just for context, I own a pair of KRK Rokit RP5 G4 and a desktop computer.

Any suggestions? I'm willing to spend around 130 USD for one, max 150 USD.

Thanks.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you not just use USB audio out from the PC to a DAC with USB in, then XLR to the powered monitors?

JSmith

He should be able to, so he could go with a D10 balanced.

If he wanted to up his budget to around $500 he could go with a DX5 and get pretty much everything he might ever need.

OP
R

Room Service

He should be able to, so he could go with a D10 balanced.
Very nice, it's exactly something like this I'm looking for, however, I don't see a volume knob. How is volume controlled other than going to the back side of the KRK's?
---------
If he wanted to up his budget to around $500 he could go with a DX5 and get pretty much everything he might ever need.
Unfortunately, I don't want to expend 500 bucks for a sound interface.
----------
Can you not just use USB audio out from the PC to a DAC with USB in, then XLR to the powered monitors?
I didn't know about DAC's really. What make and model would you recommend in line with the budget I stated above?

Philbo King

So I'm looking to buy a new Sound Interface, however, there's something I've noticed on them that made me realise how wasteful it is to get one. It's not that they're bad, aux contraire. The problem is, I don't use all the other functions that comes with them like Mic in and Guitar Amp things. I'm a DJ, not a musician so those functions go right past me.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a Sound Interface that doesn't have these redundant functions or something other than a SI that can connect my monitors to my PC.

Just for context, I own a pair of KRK Rokit RP5 G4 and a desktop computer.

Any suggestions? I'm willing to spend around 130 USD for one, max 150 USD.

Thanks.
If you really want to go low budget, use the built in audio line out (generally an 1/8" stereo jack). Some of them are quite good as far as fidelity.

This gets close to your price point. (Link below) Not quite enough for surround, but 2 outs for spkr & 2 outs for headphones.

While people like to trashtalk Behringer, some of their stuff is perfectly good & at a reasonable price.

(I'm not recommending you buy from amazon, BTW)

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
I didn't know about DAC's really. What make and model would you recommend in line with the budget I stated above?
Understood, no problems.

SMSL D12, but not balanced out, RCA only;
Same for SU-6;
It's out of budget a bit, but SMSL DO100 has balanced out;

You may wish too look further through the review index;

JSmith

OP
R

Room Service

It's out of budget a bit, but SMSL DO100 has balanced out
It's such a shame the new tech coming out are all USB-C's. It's such a fragile little connection that will pop out with the slightest touch.

OP
R

Room Service

Understood.
I do have a question. A lot of DAC's I'm seeing have USB and a PSU. Can they not be powered by USB alone? Cos the house I'm at right now have very shoddy electric work. Most outlets have been bunny hopped and are not spread properly around the room. I only have access to 2 outlets right now in the room. One near the door and one where my PC desk is. I had to pull an extension from the outlet to the door that has 4 outlets. The other one has one of those box shaped adapters giving it 3 outlets. (total of 7). 2 for the monitors, 1 for a desk lamp, 1 for the PC, 1 for the screen and 2 for internet (router+modem). I don't really have enough outlets for 1 more thing unfortunately.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Very nice, it's exactly something like this I'm looking for, however, I don't see a volume knob. How is volume controlled other than going to the back side of the KRK's?

The D10 is the simplest type of DAC, all it does is Digital to Analog Conversion and the analog signal is line level. Line level is all your Rokits need as they are self powered studio monitors / speakers. with a DAC as simple as the D10 you change the volume via your pc.

Some slightly more expensive DACs have what they call a pre-amp mode, that allows you attenuate the output (decrease the volume).

DLS79

Forum Donor
It's such a shame the new tech coming out are all USB-C's. It's such a fragile little connection that will pop out with the slightest touch.

USB-C is actually a very robust connector that' why everything is switching to it.

DLS79

Forum Donor
I do have a question. A lot of DAC's I'm seeing have USB and a PSU. Can they not be powered by USB alone?

It depends on what the source devise port is capable of doing power delivery wise, so a lot of manufactures include a dedicated power supply.

A very high level overview.

Note: Some devise like the DX5 I linked to are a DAC and a headphone AMP in one. Thus they potentially need even more power than a simple DAC.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Topping D10 is pretty good budget wise for what you get. Adding a volume or/and a remote jumps the price up a bit unfortunately with many DACs. How about adding a USB volume knob and an IR remote to your computer? The whole package could still keep you under budget.

I had a first generation D10 and used USB to power it no problem. Look for used DACs on eBay maybe....

OP
R

Room Service

I have made a decision, I will buy the D10 + a USB volume knob.

Thank you everyone that has took the time of their day to reply and help me.

Top Bottom