• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Irrational Accuphase Lust

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love the look of this:

Line Magnetic 219IA.jpg

Line Magnetic 219IA black.jpg

They also had something out of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory, based on some ancient Western Electric thing, I believe, but I can't locate a pic of it at the moment. It was glorious.

Oh, this might be it! Monoblocks, I guess? lol
Stunning.gif

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I love the look of this:

View attachment 36481
View attachment 36482

They also had something out of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory, based on some ancient Western Electric thing, I believe, but I can't locate a pic of it at the moment. It was glorious.

Line Magnetic makes/made a lot of interesting stuff and if you buy by weight, the price isn't bad, but I'm not sure about the brand/business, especially since the founders split.

I'd only buy if super steeply discounted.

OP
Hank Nova

Hank Nova

OP
Hank Nova

Hank Nova

Currently using one of these.

Which is very aesthetically different.

I don't even have a rack anymore to put boxy things in.

Those are so minimalist. I view the equipment as the centerpiece to be admired, so I like bulky heavy duty, over-built looking amps.

But I totally understand the opposite rationale as well, don't get me wrong.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Those are so minimalist. I view the equipment as the centerpiece to be admired, so I like bulky heavy duty, over-built looking amps.

But I totally understand the opposite rationale as well, don't get me wrong.

Oh, well the centerpiece to be admired is one of these:

Although I have a different tone arm (SME M2-9R) than in that video.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I like black featureless metal box designs. Should look heavy. No LEDs, either.

...The Shunyata Denali 6000T power distributor is beautiful.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If you are going to do bling and intriguing design for a tube amp, I say go all the way. Look at the tall tube amps between these speakers:

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7286#&gid=1&pid=1

Steampunk for the win!

Oh lordy, that looks unbelievably tacky, like R2-D2 and the Daleks had baby twins.

And to make it even worse, hiding behind all that flashy nonsense are some gorgeous vintage Studer and Nagra decks!

They should be the stars, not those jukebox-meets-hairdryer contraptions.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could not tolerate an aesthetic defect on the back of the amp? You are so spending big on bling hifi later in life, accept your fate graciously.

:oops::eek:

In my defence we had it on a shelf that was totally open on both ends (a shelf that divides the dining area from the living room). I could take the wires dangling but not the Rat Shack binding posts, especially when they were installed aftermarket in a haphazard way (back panel of a similar amp I found on eBay: note the knurled brass posts):

469366801.png

And a search on eBay confirms my hunch that this range from Marantz is an emerging classic. The cheapest PM-17 I can find is $460, and that's for an early 100V version. It's closer to 1k for a 230V 2nd or 3rd revision 230V. Keep in mind this was a lower-middle offering by Marantz in the mid-90s.

Someone took a recent video of a first-gen PM-17 like mine:

And the flagship integrated of that line (roughly same price after inflation as the current PM-10 flagship that uses NC500s) is the amp I irrationally lust for the most:

pm-15(2).JPG

Hmmm... This is bit attack-y isn't it? Let the man decide how he manages his wealth and property.

It would irritate me to no end if someone had drilled holes and tampered with something like that.

Thought it was in good humour, hahaha. But yes it was such an eyesore. And if the first owner was going to indulge in bi-wiring snake oil, why the hell install crap Rat Shack posts? Strange person to believe in bi-wiring but not fancy binding posts. A pair of fancy WBTs or Amphenols would have at least looked more respectable.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
That Marantz is beautiful... but yeah, I'd find that mod a bit "cringey" myself. I usually try to keep everything in perfect condition - and I get angry at myself when I have to plug in something blind and miss the connector... because I know there's now a hairline scratch on the finish back there somewhere. :facepalm:

FWIW, I've never ever seen Burmester being sold in the states, in person. Apparently my nearest dealer is 1300 miles away.
You've got several that are close to you... of course, none of them have that preamp... but, on the upside, they only charge $5K-15K for a complete system!

(Provided you also purchase a new Mercedes/AMG or Porsche and click the appropriate option box on your order form). ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
:oops::eek:

In my defence we had it on a shelf that was totally open on both ends (a shelf that divides the dining area from the living room). I could take the wires dangling but not the Rat Shack binding posts, especially when they were installed aftermarket in a haphazard way (back panel of a similar amp I found on eBay: note the knurled brass posts):

View attachment 36491

And a search on eBay confirms my hunch that this range from Marantz is an emerging classic. The cheapest PM-17 I can find is $460, and that's for an early 100V version. It's closer to 1k for a 230V 2nd or 3rd revision 230V. Keep in mind this was a lower-middle offering by Marantz in the mid-90s.

Someone took a recent video of a first-gen PM-17 like mine:

And the flagship integrated of that line (roughly same price after inflation as the current PM-10 flagship that uses NC500s) is the amp I irrationally lust for the most:

pm-15(2).JPG

Thought it was in good humour, hahaha. But yes it was such an eyesore. And if the first owner was going to indulge in bi-wiring snake oil, why the hell install crap Rat Shack posts? Strange person to believe in bi-wiring but not fancy binding posts. A pair of fancy WBTs or Amphenols would have at least looked more respectable.

Those things are like 90% power supplies and heat sinks....

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the look of this:

Oh, this might be it! Monoblocks, I guess? lol

I've seen the first two at the local distributor (who also has very good pricing on ATCs). The acrylic front of the first one makes it look a bit tacky. Incidentally, mid-90s Marantz had a Japan-only special-order amp in a similar form factor.

w115808833.1.jpg

That Marantz is beautiful... but yeah, I'd find that mod a bit "cringey" myself. I usually try to keep everything in perfect condition - and I get angry at myself when I have to plug in something blind and miss the connector... because I know there's now a hairline scratch on the finish back there somewhere. :facepalm:

You've got several that are close to you... of course, none of them have that preamp... but, on the upside, they only charge $5K-15K for a complete system!

(Provided you also purchase a new Mercedes/AMG or Porsche and click the appropriate option box on your order form). ;)

I walk past a Burmester setup in a hifi shop on the way to lunch about every week. The mirror gloss is insane. If I owned it, I'd have to wear white gloves and have a clean microfibre ready every time I handle it.

Those things are like 90% power supplies and heat sinks....

Barring a failure of the copper-cased and potted discrete opamps, I've been told they are easy to repair and maintain.

Top Bottom