• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Irrational Accuphase Lust

Hank Nova

Accuphase is a brand that I just can't help but think about... constantly. But what makes this daydreaming bittersweet is that everything they sell that I would actually consider "end-game" worthy is absurdly expensive, even for an audio retard like myself, who is willing to sink endless thousands into his listening room. I also know that any purchase I make from them wouldn't make much of a difference on the actual sound of my system. I just want it! It's a possession obsession!

Somebody please help. Or, share your irrational brand lust so that we may commiserate.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I see nothing wrong with buying something -- even expensive gear -- that satisfies a subjective need. I have spent a lot of money on my gear for reasons more than sound as you.

OP
Hank Nova

Hank Nova

:DI don't feel guilty about it. I'm just lamenting that I may never be able to have it. Even the used market for Accuphase, especially US voltage stuff, is pretty sparse. Also, the US distributors don't seem very keen on swinging deals for their stuff.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing irrational about a liking for Accuphase, their build quality and design is superb. I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to audio gear, for example I consider the audio DAC to be a commodity and that provided an amplifier is correctly specified for the load then they are almost all audibly transparent. If it is just about SQ you really do not have to spend much even on speakers if they are well set up. Despite that I do like high quality engineering and build, and I would love an Accuphase set up. I have also been pretty impressed by what I have seen of the modern Technics gear.

OP
Hank Nova

Hank Nova

Nothing irrational about a liking for Accuphase, their build quality and design is superb. I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to audio gear, for example I consider the audio DAC to be a commodity and that provided an amplifier is correctly specified for the load then they are almost all audibly transparent. If it is just about SQ you really do not have to spend much even on speakers if they are well set up. Despite that I do like high quality engineering and build, and I would love an Accuphase set up. I have also been pretty impressed by what I have seen of the modern Technics gear.

I have heard the new Technics speakers at AXPONA multiple times in different rooms (the bookshelf Ls50 knockoffs and the high priced towers) and was incredibly disappointed. Their brand resurrection has produced some very nice looking components, though.

I know that Accuphase makes nice stuff, it's just irrational because I'm so sold on their brand that would probably spend an unwise amount on them with very little persuasion

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have heard the new Technics speakers at AXPONA multiple times in different rooms (the bookshelf Ls50 knockoffs and the high priced towers) and was incredibly disappointed.
That has been my experience as well.

OP
Hank Nova

Hank Nova

OP
Hank Nova

Hank Nova

My emoji's on my phone arent transferring in my posts, I meant to say-

:D:D:eek:I was so shocked when I read that yesterday. I rationalized it as an entry-level blip. There's no talking me out of it! That unit would be too underpowered for my needs anyway.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had and satisfied such a lust, for a particular German amplifier ... Knowing what I know now .. I can and will be more satisfied with several units costing 10 times less ... and measuring 10 times better ... I may even build one ;)
Nothing wrong with liking a piece of equipment, it is wise though to keep things in perspective. High End Audio gears are too often unhealthily expensive, for none to lesser gain in performance.

OP
Hank Nova

Hank Nova

I had and satisfied such a lust, for a particular German amplifier ... Knowing what I know now .. I can and will be more satisfied with several units costing 10 times less ... and measuring 10 times better ... I may even build one ;)
Nothing wrong with liking a piece of equipment, it is wise though to keep things in perspective. High End Audio gears are too often unhealthily expensive, for none to lesser gain in performance.

Thanks for the advice:).

I think if I was handed a plain black box, with objective evidence that it was far and away, the world's greatest amplifier, I'd refuse it for a big class A/B Accuphase. I know i know, i'm an idiot. But staring at that plain black box would annoy me to no end.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if I was handed a plain black box, with objective evidence that it was far and away, the world's greatest amplifier, I'd refuse it for a big class A/B Accuphase. I know i know, i'm an idiot. But staring at that plain black box would annoy me to no end.

Welcome to the club.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
A slight tangent, I am somewhat obsessed with visually consistent Hi-Fi, ideally from the same design series. So I have a main system of Sony ES, a secondary Technics C01 system (with Philips CD player in matching hue and dimensions) and am eyeing up an Aurex 15 system as, er a spare?
I’m quite sure they’re all excellent measuring (well, when new they were) but the visual harmony is a large part of my buying impulse.
And there is almost no chance of me replacing individual bits as it would ruin said harmony. Thankfully, modern amps, turntables and CD players seem well below the Sony’s price/ performance ratio (and probably the Technics and Aurex too).

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there are at least 4 good reasons to choose and differentiate among gear (unless your uncle owns a hi-fi store and you can get stuff wholesale, then that's a fifth reason).

1) Best measurement spec. Represented by gear like the Benchmark AHB1 or their headphone preamp. This category is subject to change, so what you buy today you have to realize will be superseded eventually. But at this level it won't matter from a sonic standpoint. Just bragging rights.

2) Best value for the dollar. This is gear like the Geshelli headphone amp, which actually has some specs better than Benchmark, but isn't necessarily something you'd gush over in the looks department. Long term use might be questionable for a value component, but if it breaks and you have to get another one it's not like you are out of a huge initial investment.

3) Long term build quality and dealer/company support. I guess we could cite Bryston and old McIntosh amps, but there are certainly others.

4) Good looks. Accuphase, Lux, maybe McIntosh--at this level it's a personal thing, and only limited by your purse.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got no problem wid it!

Personally, I like audio jewelry and I'm willing to pay more for it. I like the way my tube amps look, my turntable. It gives me another layer of satisfaction.

Especially with speakers which are a permanent form of furniture (especially as in my case they dwell in the front room of our house). Fortunately for me my sonic taste has often coincided with good looking (to me) speakers. I love the look of my Thiel speakers and newer Joseph Audio speakers, which are in the "audio jewelry" category IMO.

Even if I had a designated man cave where supposedly aesthetics don't count, I don't think I could stare at ugly equipment, given the choice.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone who pays more than needed per watt is a fool.

Just kidding. Make mine a pair of Carver Silver Crimson 350 amps.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For me, it's Nagra gear I lust for:

Classic_Preamp_096b-752x551.jpg

HD_AMP_twin3_long-752x551.jpg

nagra-vpa.jpg

121.jpg

nagra.jpg

11ff44535c618cc2e805a7ac4fef3077.jpg

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Irrational? You call Accuphase lust irrational? How about these Electron Luv beauties?

Electron Luv 2.jpg

And, then, of course, I would want a steampunk HTPC to complement the amps...

1-Steampunk-Command-Desk–Bruce-Rosenbaum.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I know that Accuphase makes nice stuff, it's just irrational because I'm so sold on their brand that would probably spend an unwise amount on them with very little persuasion

Just start with a piece of 2nd hand Accuphase at a reasonable price, say something from the late 80s/early 90s and see what you think. It will either cure your problem, or send you on the path to financial ruin. :)

I only have a few pieces- some vintage Accuphase integrated amplifiers, and a vintage C-11 preamplifier. It's a truly lovely preamplifer.

1571470277638.png

There's over 30 gas-filled relays alone on the PCB...

1571470611196.png

1571471180651.png

Look at the factory THD plots- the 1kHz distortion drops off the plot at 0.00001% from 4V to 10V output and that's with an EIA standard dummy load...

1571470836726.png

And the C-11 was not even an expensive Accuphase at around $3500 in 1989/90.

elberoth

For similar reasons, I have just bought a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck. I'm not even gonna use it. But I always dreamed about owning one when I was in high school and the best I could afford at the time was Technics RS-B965 and then an used Akai GX-95 mkII (a trully great deck, but still ... not a Dragon).

Engineering behind the Dargon (and other Nak decks, like 1000ZXL, ZX-7/9, CR7, the cassette fliping 505) is just amazing.

Top Bottom