• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

interlink cd high resolution digital compact disc cable by monster cable

Argus

I would like to connect the coax from my Echo Link to the Schiit DAC Modi 3 using my old interlink cd high resolution digital compact disc cable by monster cable.

1) Do I need to purchase something else, or will this do?
2) Will there be any discernible difference using the Toslink vs the Coax?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
See if it works.. if there is nu crackling and normal sound: it’s fine.

Toslink might be needed if you have ground loop
issues, also it is a bit more limited in sample rate (often 96kHz). If your cable works, don’t bother.

OP
A

Argus

See if it works.. if there is nu crackling and normal sound: it’s fine.

Toslink might be needed if you have ground loop
issues, also it is a bit more limited in sample rate (often 96kHz). If your cable works, don’t bother.

My concern is that I don't have an impedance marking for the interlink cd high resolution digital compact disc cable by monster cable, and it is recommended to use a 75 ohm impedance. I'm also not sure what the difference is between an RCA cable and a SPDIF coax cable, ends look the same. Is it solely the actual cable being coax vs a single conductor, i.e shielding?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes there are differences. But as long as distances are short, it’s usually fine. It either works, or it doesn’t..

chris719

My concern is that I don't have an impedance marking for the interlink cd high resolution digital compact disc cable by monster cable, and it is recommended to use a 75 ohm impedance. I'm also not sure what the difference is between an RCA cable and a SPDIF coax cable, ends look the same. Is it solely the actual cable being coax vs a single conductor, i.e shielding?

The difference is indeed coax vs random construction in your average RCA cable. There won't be an audible difference though. Yeah, there will be an impedance mismatch, but RCA connectors aren't even 75 ohms to begin with. If this were critical, like it is for high rate SDI video, all devices would have been using 75 ohm BNC connectors already. You might see a difference if you are really pushing the distance past spec.

Top Bottom