• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interface Setup - Is This Correct?

FattyGabbiee

Hi all,

Many of you have given me great speaker advice (thank you) and I am finally upgrading the audio/mic for my gaming PC / work machine. After doing much reading/research, I am about to hit buy on the items but wanted to make sure what I listed below is the proper way to connect everything.
  1. Motu M4 audio interface - mic input and DAC
  2. JDS Labs El Amp II+ headphone amp
  3. Denon D9200 headphones (family and friends discount and couldn't pass up)
  4. Kali IN-8 active speakers
  5. Earthworks Icon Pro XLR microphone
Connections
  • JDS El Amp II balanced inputs to Motu M4 balanced line outputs (inputs 3 and 4)
  • Denon headphones to JDS El Amp II headphone input
  • Kali IN-8 speakers to Motu M4 balanced monitor outputs (inputs 1 and 2)
  • Earthworks Icon Pro to Motu M4 mic input 1
The questions I have are:
  1. Are the headphones always on or do I have to always select them in Windows and/or the Motu interface software?
  2. What is the easiest way to switch to the speakers when I am not using headphones? Is there a button the interface to hit or is it also selected/switched via software?
  3. Can I leave the mic on at all times?
  4. Is the headphone amp of the Motu M4 powerful enough to drive the Denon headphones? The Denon's are 24 ohm and with 105db sensitivity.
Thank you for your help!
FG

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
From what I was able to gather, the MOTUs will always output to rear outputs 1/2 and the front headphone out at the same time, with turning monitor volume or headphone volume up and down being used to select what you want. 3/4 seems to be a fixed level output reacting to neither.

In Windows, outputs 1/2 and 3/4 are listed as separate output devices, so that's another way you could do the switching.

Another option you may not want to discount is running the headphone amp out of the headphone output, with an adapter cable and the unbalanced input version of the EL Amp II+. Then you may be able to stick with the cheaper M2, and potentially save a bundle with the cheaper Atom Amp+ (or a Topping L30) as well.

The "barefoot" headphone output should drive the Denons OK, the OPA1688 is quite capable as a headphone driver. Output will be limited by output current capabilities first, estimated output peak level is 101 dB SPL - not earth-shattering but generally adequate.

How did you land on the Icon Pro btw? It's supposedly delightfully built like a fine piece of machinery, but it's not particularly flattering sounding if memory serves (I bet being an SDC has something to do with that). If all you need is a good vocal mic, you can get away substantially cheaper. Some of my midrange faves include - ordered by price - AT2035, Rode NT1 (not NT1-A) and Sennheiser MK4 + MKS4 shockmount. Shure KSM32 is another nice one. (Sweetwater has some screaming deals on mics right now, I noticed.)

Mics do not generally mind nonstop operation much (at a maximum of 4 mA at 48 V per spec, there's not a lot to get warm or anything), but it's still a good habit to only turn on 48 V phantom power when you need it. My mixer will get a good bit warmer with it on, so I reckon that's the more problematic side if in doubt.

OP
F

FattyGabbiee

From what I was able to gather, the MOTUs will always output to rear outputs 1/2 and the front headphone out at the same time, with turning monitor volume or headphone volume up and down being used to select what you want. 3/4 seems to be a fixed level output reacting to neither.

In Windows, outputs 1/2 and 3/4 are listed as separate output devices, so that's another way you could do the switching.

Another option you may not want to discount is running the headphone amp out of the headphone output, with an adapter cable and the unbalanced input version of the EL Amp II+. Then you may be able to stick with the cheaper M2, and potentially save a bundle with the cheaper Atom Amp+ (or a Topping L30) as well.

The "barefoot" headphone output should drive the Denons OK, the OPA1688 is quite capable as a headphone driver. Output will be limited by output current capabilities first, estimated output peak level is 101 dB SPL - not earth-shattering but generally adequate.

How did you land on the Icon Pro btw? It's supposedly delightfully built like a fine piece of machinery, but it's not particularly flattering sounding if memory serves (I bet being an SDC has something to do with that). If all you need is a good vocal mic, you can get away substantially cheaper. Some of my midrange faves include - ordered by price - AT2035, Rode NT1 (not NT1-A) and Sennheiser MK4 + MKS4 shockmount. Shure KSM32 is another nice one. (Sweetwater has some screaming deals on mics right now, I noticed.)

Mics do not generally mind nonstop operation much (at a maximum of 4 mA at 48 V per spec, there's not a lot to get warm or anything), but it's still a good habit to only turn on 48 V phantom power when you need it. My mixer will get a good bit warmer with it on, so I reckon that's the more problematic side if in doubt.
Thanks for the details! I am also looking at the Topping DX setup for amp/dac and downgrading to the Motu M2 as a mic interface only. Agree on doing what I can to save some money.

As for the Icon Pro, my buddies use it for work/streaming and raved about it to me. They upgraded from some Rode USB mics and said they won't go back. I also watched some YouTube video reviews from hosts that generally have detailed/accurate reviews and seem trustworthy but having my friends vouch really sold me on it. I have heard about the Sennheiser MK4 and need to read more about it.

Thank you again for the awesome details. I love this new hobby and now I am trying to find local places to listen to some nearfield. I may even try running my old Marantz 7008 AVR with some passive desktops to save further money. But finding smallish, passive desktops that are great nearfield seems to be another impossible task. Any thoughts there?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
They upgraded from some Rode USB mics and said they won't go back.
Mind you, those would likely have been either the NT-USB with its nasty treble peak (no idea what they were thinking), or the NT-USB Mini that while more acceptable, makes an AT2020 sound bass-heavy in comparison (which normally is a tad thin). Plus the more limited dynamic range typical of USB mics. So yeah.

IMHO, if all you need is a decent vocal mic with shockmount for average spoken word consumer needs, there's plenty of choice up to $300 already. At the same time, a lot of sub-$100 options are a bit meh, and going just a bit higher may be well worth it. (See e.g. the aforementioned AT2035, which for a fairly modest price increase over the common $99 AT2020 sounds better, sports lower noise and more features, and includes a shockmount which retails for $29 by itself.) Note that the ideal mic for singing is arguably brighter-sounding than the same for spoken word; e.g. the Lewitts are more popular in the former camp.

Do your research on mic boom arms. You can get one or two options to reach underneath monitors, otherwise I am also a fan of upside-down mounting slightly above (it keeps dust out of very open baskets, too, which is a legitimate concern for condenser mics). It was good enough for ABBA, so it's probably good enough for me...

But finding smallish, passive desktops that are great nearfield seems to be another impossible task. Any thoughts there?
KEF LS50 Meta? Elac DBR-62? A bit more expensive than you'd like, I guess.

Top Bottom