• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interface better than MiniFuse 1? (under 200$) to use with DT770 Pro 250 ohms

x3onmusic

Was thinking about the Audient ID4 MKII but seeing the thread here about it's quality, just want to pass. I'm currently using my Beyerdynamics with the MiniFuse 1. But want to upgrade

[update]
I'm not that happy with the sound quality on the headphone output. As my LG-V30 literally sounds a lot better than it. I mean, i know that the Mini is a budget interface, but doesn't have the best output quality :/

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's going to be a new interface coming out by Topping in the near future. There's a thread about it on ASR, if you'd like to whet your appetite for that offering.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Do you need an interface with mic inputs or just a DAC + headphone amp? Usually with an interface the inputs are the important thing...

Is there something wrong with the MiniFuse? If you aren't getting excessive noise* and you are getting enough volume (without clipping/distortion), it's probably already better than human hearing.

*Some background noise (usually hiss) from the microphone preamps would be normal but the headphone output shouldn't have any audible noise.

OP
x3onmusic

x3onmusic

Yeah, the Minifuse should have a decent amount of output and good enough performance into 250 ohms according to measurements... I don't think there would be much to be gained driving DT770-250s.
See, i have an old LG V30 i use mainly for it's Quad-DAC. And it sounds like 10x better than the headphones output on the MiniFuse. (yeah, i use it driving the same DT770)

So i'm looking an audio interface that sounds better than the MiniFuse

OP
x3onmusic

x3onmusic

Do you need an interface with mic inputs or just a DAC + headphone amp? Usually with an interface the inputs are the important thing...

Is there something wrong with the MiniFuse? If you aren't getting excessive noise* and you are getting enough volume (without clipping/distortion), it's probably already better than human hearing.

*Some background noise (usually hiss) from the microphone preamps would be normal but the headphone output shouldn't have any audible noise.
Nothing wrong, just as i stated in the comment below... My LG-V30 sounds a lot better than the MiniFuse, and in my case, i don't even use the inputs that much, but still, want them to be available whenever i DO need them

So, mainly i'm looking to get an interface that has a better output for the headphones

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would look to a dedicated headphone amp and a DAC. The ATOM DAC+ and the Schiit Magni Heretic as a headphone amp. If you are on a seriously lean budget then get the new SMSL DAC and a headphone amp from Schiit. Alternatively the JDS Labs ATOM AMP+ and the DAC+ save on shipping when purchased together. The Schiit headphone amp has much more power output and is more than clean enough for human hearing.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
See, i have an old LG V30 i use mainly for it's Quad-DAC. And it sounds like 10x better than the headphones output on the MiniFuse. (yeah, i use it driving the same DT770)
Sounds fishy. There's no particular processing or anything on the V30?

The 3.5 mm to 1/4" adapters supplied by Beyerdynamic are somewhat known to occasionally be mechanically out of spec / defective. Perhaps you've got one like that, or one that doesn't agree with the headphone jack on the Minifuse terribly well at least. I'd try another first.

Do you have plain onboard audio available for testing? (You may need to defeat software DSP if that gets turned on automatically upon selecting "headphones" while plugging in.) What does that sound like?

D

Deleted member 4708

Linsoul E1DA 9038D6K is fantastic for 130$. I use it with Senny HD650 and Focal Elex. Plenty of power.

charlielaub

So i'm looking an audio interface that sounds better than the MiniFuse
Here is the problem you face, and is a major issue for high end audio. What does "sounds better" mean exactly? Unless you can quantify that, you are left to just more or less randomly search for "better". If you know what it is you are looking for in terms of some metric or metrics and you want a product that is better in that regard, the problem becomes a lot easier to solve.

For example, maybe your V30 has higher second order harmonic distortion, maybe it's relatively high. Many people "like" that sort of sound and call it "richer" or whatever. This is just a hypothetical example I have invented to make my point. But let say that is true, then I would say you should look for a tube based headphone amp or the like, since they might enrich the harmonic content.

But saying "oh, it sound like 10x better" means absolutely nothing to anyone but yourself. How can anyone really provide sound advice that will solve your issue?

OP
x3onmusic

x3onmusic

Sounds fishy. There's no particular processing or anything on the V30?

The 3.5 mm to 1/4" adapters supplied by Beyerdynamic are somewhat known to occasionally be mechanically out of spec / defective. Perhaps you've got one like that, or one that doesn't agree with the headphone jack on the Minifuse terribly well at least. I'd try another first.

Do you have plain onboard audio available for testing? (You may need to defeat software DSP if that gets turned on automatically upon selecting "headphones" while plugging in.) What does that sound like?
No, it's not terrible. Just that the LG sounds better than the MiniFuse by far. Wider soundstage, better faster transients, Cleaner and smooth highs. Playing the same audio via foobar with the Asio output module so it bypasses the Windows Mixer

That's why i always check my final mixes on the LG, always

About the 1/4 adapter, this one works perfectly, and i have multiple not from Beyer, it doesn't change the sound. It's just when i plug the headphones on the LG minijack and play something thru UAPP (i got everything without EQ and dsp stuff disable), just the flat file

OP
x3onmusic

x3onmusic

Here is the problem you face, and is a major issue for high end audio. What does "sounds better" mean exactly? Unless you can quantify that, you are left to just more or less randomly search for "better". If you know what it is you are looking for in terms of some metric or metrics and you want a product that is better in that regard, the problem becomes a lot easier to solve.

For example, maybe your V30 has higher second order harmonic distortion, maybe it's relatively high. Many people "like" that sort of sound and call it "richer" or whatever. This is just a hypothetical example I have invented to make my point. But let say that is true, then I would say you should look for a tube based headphone amp or the like, since they might enrich the harmonic content.

But saying "oh, it sound like 10x better" means absolutely nothing to anyone but yourself. How can anyone really provide sound advice that will solve your issue?
The solution is easy, just to recommend me an audio interface with headphones output quality THAN the MiniFuse. I read here that the Audient is not a good option because of some problems with the DAC, after they replaced it with another brand

Sounds better (as always, for me) in every way. To the point where (if possible), i'd rather use the LG as a dac for my PC if it was possible

Even using some of those apps that transfer the sound from pc to the phone via wifi, songs sounds better (as always, for me), than on the MiniFuse

OP
x3onmusic

x3onmusic

I would look to a dedicated headphone amp and a DAC. The ATOM DAC+ and the Schiit Magni Heretic as a headphone amp. If you are on a seriously lean budget then get the new SMSL DAC and a headphone amp from Schiit. Alternatively the JDS Labs ATOM AMP+ and the DAC+ save on shipping when purchased together. The Schiit headphone amp has much more power output and is more than clean enough for human hearing.
Definitely will check this out! thanks man

charlielaub

Was thinking about the Audient ID4 MKII but seeing the thread here about it's quality, just want to pass. I'm currently using my Beyerdynamics with the MiniFuse 1. But want to upgrade

[update]
I'm not that happy with the sound quality on the headphone output. As my LG-V30 literally sounds a lot better than it. I mean, i know that the Mini is a budget interface, but doesn't have the best output quality :/

Thanks in advance

I have been using older DT770 80 Ohm headphones for many years and they are sort of worn out, so I found a deal on Ebay for an open box DT770 pro 250 Ohm. When I got it and plugged it in for a listen it sounded very "tinny" compared to the older one. Is this or a similar experience what made you look for another headphone amp?

OP
x3onmusic

x3onmusic

I have been using older DT770 80 Ohm headphones for many years and they are sort of worn out, so I found a deal on Ebay for an open box DT770 pro 250 Ohm. When I got it and plugged it in for a listen it sounded very "tinny" compared to the older one. Is this or a similar experience what made you look for another headphone amp?
Ohh i see. Nope, they sounded really well, but then when i tested them on the phone, they sounded EVEN better. Besides that, in my case I just had a fixed budget for my DT's and an audio interface. So did my research and went for the MiniFuse 1 + this headphones

I'm only looking for an interface that just sounds better than this one

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately, the information that you have provided will not enable anybody to offer you meaningful assistance. The default position here is that if a device exceeds research-based measurement thresholds for relevant parameters and is not driven into clipping, then it is audibly transparent and any perceived difference under sighted conditions is most likely the result of placebo and expectation bias.

As this is a purely sighted comparison and the only descriptions provided have been vague ones such as "wider soundstage" and "faster transients", this doesn't enable us to make helpful recommendaions without going on a blind, wild goose chase.

Perhaps you could capture a loopback recording of the MiniFUSE' headphone output and post the file here. If as you say, the phone sounds "ten times better", then it will be immediately obvious when comparing the loopback recording with the original audio file of the played content. That would enable us to investigate and potentially offer you a real solution.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Wider soundstage on the V30 might point towards a bit of a cooperation problem between the 4-pin headset jack on the V30 and the 3-pin headphone plug causing a less-than-ideal ground return connection, or just a duff (worn / dirty / oxidized) jack. One would have to plug both into a headphone amp. If then the differences suddenly go away, my hunch would be right...

Plan B, a loopback measurement of the Audiofuse headphone output. Channel separation would have to be so outrageously terrible, that would show up in measurements for sure. (<<40 dB)

Last edited:
OP
x3onmusic

x3onmusic

Unfortunately, the information that you have provided will not enable anybody to offer you meaningful assistance. The default position here is that if a device exceeds research-based measurement thresholds for relevant parameters and is not driven into clipping, then it is audibly transparent and any perceived difference under sighted conditions is most likely the result of placebo and expectation bias.

As this is a purely sighted comparison and the only descriptions provided have been vague ones such as "wider soundstage" and "faster transients", this doesn't enable us to make helpful recommendaions without going on a blind, wild goose chase.

Perhaps you could capture a loopback recording of the MiniFUSE' headphone output and post the file here. If as you say, the phone sounds "ten times better", then it will be immediately obvious when comparing the loopback recording with the original audio file of the played content. That would enable us to investigate and potentially offer you a real solution.
Man, the only thing i'm asking is for a new interface recommendation, one that's better than the MiniFuse, that's it

It's just an example, the LG thing doesn't need to deviate the main question, i'm just looking for an interface that sounds better on the headphone output

OP
x3onmusic

x3onmusic

Wider soundstage on the V30 might point towards a bit of a cooperation problem between the 4-pin headset jack on the V30 and the 3-pin headphone plug causing a less-than-ideal ground return connection, or just a duff (worn / dirty / oxidized) jack. One would have to plug both into a headphone amp. If then the differences suddenly go away, my hunch would be right...

Plan B, a loopback measurement of the Audiofuse headphone output. Channel separation would have to be so outrageously terrible, that would show up in measurements for sure. (<<40 dB)
I'd have to try, but i still think that phone sounds better than the interface headphone output. One of the problems here was that i said "ten times better" and that seems to be the thing some users took personal

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Man, the only thing i'm asking is for a new interface recommendation, one that's better than the MiniFuse, that's it

It's just an example, the LG thing doesn't need to deviate the main question, i'm just looking for an interface that sounds better on the headphone output
The problem here is that both the MiniFUSE and any other audio interface that a member of this forum is likely to recommend to you will be an interface which meets the criteria outlined in my first response. Such a recommendation would not be made on the basis of the user's uncontrolled subjective evaluation that it "sounds better". That is not what we do here and it is why you have been asked for specific descriptions and tests; so that we can try to determine what (if anything) might be happening and how to solve your problem. Whether that turns out to be a troublesome connection or otherwise.

Another test that I would suggest performing is the playback of some mono/stereo content such as the video below. If left channel content is audible through the right headphone or vice versa, then we have some idea as to the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom