• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting Title on Amazon, from a reputable publisher also, does anyone have an knowledgeable opinion on it?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Should this book be on the required reading list? Has anyone read it? What educational background does it require to be understood?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Looking at a pdf, it's rather mathematically dense.

1545705784018.png

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Equations such as that bring back bad memories for me! I don't know if I'd be damned or blessed if could put that one in plain English!

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Yet, here's a review:

R. Sison

5.0 out of 5 stars Scholarly book
December 24, 2017
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
Whether your very technical or just want lay man's tips, you will be pleased and amazed.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The book does finally confirm what I'd been assuming when looking at my in-room impulse response;

1545775234053.png

I don't remember seeing a diagram that explicitly noted the above.

Red, MartinLogan electrostatic dipole, Blue, JBL LSR 308

1545775703818.png

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I want this book. Damn, wish it weren't so pricey.

Well, we can live on beans and rice this week.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yet, here's a review:
R. Sison
5.0 out of 5 stars Scholarly book
December 24, 2017
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
Whether your very technical or just want lay man's tips, you will be pleased and amazed.
Where can we see the text of a full review? If that's all he has, it looks no more valid than his reviews of a paint sprayer or of pork jowls. Suspicious.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of looking mathematically dense, I guess it depends on how comfortable people are with equations and scientific principles but people shouldn't necessarily let long or complex looking equations put them off. Don't see it as a string of symbols, try and see it as an algebraic expression of a relationship between parameters and it is generally much less intimidating. I don't know about this book but it is not uncommon for technical books to provide simplified equations most should be able to understand. And even if it is a bit heavy, it sounds as if there is enough for people without having to understand the mathematical bits.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That does not look at all like impenetrable math. I expect infinite series and basic differential equations in any technical textbook.

"Impenetrable math" is the first few pages of Feynman's "Quantum Electrodynamics."

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I downloaded the free sample from Amazon. The authors' credentials are impressive and it's published on CRC Press.
It looks to me to be a good companion to Toole's Sound Reproduction, Loudspeakers and Rooms .

As far as math goes. I haven't used a pde since 1983 during my college years.

Top Bottom