• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated Amplifier's Pre-Outs to JBL305p's

posvibes

I haven't been able to find a specific answer to my question.

I am trying to streamline everything at the moment and I am wondering if I could use my Quad Vena integrated amplifier"s pre-outs to connect to and control my JBL305p mkii's? Currently I am using the Topping e30 DAC which is great, because of the remote and the JBL's I am using in far field living room listening, so remote control of the volume is priority and I have that on the Vena.

The Vena has I think has a pretty good DAC, as well as Bluetooth and I only have one computer from which I use Peace as PEQ.

Is it possible, what should I beware of? Much thanks for your thoughts.

OP
posvibes

posvibes

All good just tried it with fingers crossed and it works. I was hoping that the interference from the usb power input on the E30 which was adding a slight brrrr to the 305's hiss was the culprit for additional noise, but the same thing is happening with the Quad amp.

Blew

All good just tried it with fingers crossed and it works. I was hoping that the interference from the usb power input on the E30 which was adding a slight brrrr to the 305's hiss was the culprit for additional noise, but the same thing is happening with the Quad amp.
The USB power issue sounds like a ground loop. Are you using the balanced inputs on the 305p's?
I'm using them with a Topping e50 and find that the 305p's are slightly distorted when set around 3/4 to full volume on the speaker volume dial. ie when using the speakers' internal amps. I find they sound better when the e50 is connected to my Singxer SA1 as a pre-out amplifier and the 305p's are set to 1/2 volume, so most of the amplification is done by the pre-out.

OP
posvibes

posvibes

@Blew thanks for reply , I ended up unplugging everything changing power boards, shortening cables and untangling everything that lay behind the entertainment unit and the speakers returned to their blissful low energy hiss.

Top Bottom