• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Influence of curtains on room acoustics

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
For room ambiance/flutter the curtains are probably effective enough.
Extremely effective of blocking out light, though.
Yes, and from the pictures I can see they also block the view quite well.

But, at night, may be.. And other rooms can be different, different situation, perhaps curtains are already in place. Then it is very useful to know before buying additional layers of thick curtains, how this will change acoustics. This thread, and information provided with measurements, is useful for someone.

GalZohar

If you watch during the day you need to block the light, and in any case you normally don't look at the view while using the system. Unless the curtains severely block the view even when open, which, of course, should be minimized as much as possible..

ccc118

I have cellular/honeycomb shades on the windows in my music room. I haven't done any measurements, but I have noticed that the sound changes a little depending on whether they are up or down.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Experimenting with thick tightly woven wool myself right now.

Thank you for doing this. At my front wall is a large window, I layered 3 curtains/blankets. 2x aesthetic blackout thermal curtains, and an ultra-heavy acoustic blanket behind them, all of them are folded/wavy, with airgap then to window behind. I measured the difference, and yeah RT is much improved and there are some shifts in frequency response.

ozzy9832001

Not to Necro this thread, but I noticed something similar when I placed a heavy blanket over my windows. Granted, I have 4 of them in my room, so that's a fair amount of extra absorption.

jaakkopetteri

I've sewn a few sleeping bags using a sheet-like synthetic fill. I wonder if lighter curtains filled with the same stuff would do better than the usual stage curtain, even if the stage curtain is creased and perhaps double layered. Any insight?

jaakkopetteri

All right, then. Keep your secrets.

I guess I'll just have to try both. Is there a reasonable DIY method for measuring absorption coefficients? I guess I could just cover one wall in my listening room and measure the decay times as usual, but I'm not even sure what measures to use. In any case, it would be nice to somehow obtain coefficients comparable to other products

Top Bottom