• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inductors as an Audio Enhancer

OP
Newman

Newman

Major Contributor
Yes, but allowing some transient headroom?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have been told that the 25kV really really hurts.

Back at the Tech School I attended, we were supposed to fix Televisions.

I don't remember succeeding with one.

The instructor:

Have ye got B+?

I don't know.

(Sticks his arm in and gets shocked)

Yep, ya got B+!

sam_adams

Major Contributor
It's a good thing that the OP's friend never heard about the Diaural Series Crossover that used nothing but inductors.

Attachments

• US Patent 6115475.pdf
    97.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
Newman

Newman

Major Contributor
I’ll ask. I bet he does. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My father got shocked regularly working on TVs. My recollection of these events (when it happened in his shop) was that he'd typically be jumpering across suspect electrolytics with a test capacitor, and he'd accidentally brush across a hot, uninsulated wire or connection. Invariably he'd call the TV a remarkably insensitive name (not profanity -- worse, in the 1960s when certain terms were much more commonly used than today) and yank his arm out very quickly. The damage he would suffer, invariably, was a scratch, cut, or gash on the arm caused by some sharp bit of chassis or cabinet.

Such are the memories of my youth. :)

EDIT: Oh, I think the projection TVs had anode voltages of ca. 30 kV. Forgot to mention that. :cool:

It's remarkable how many screwdrivers and probes I've melted in the process repairing CRT TVs in my youth. I did learn, eventually, that capacitors hold charge ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

egellings

Major Contributor
Valve amps typical put out high voltage and low current, so the load needs to be high impedance, while speakers need low voltage and high current, so there low impedance. The output transformer converts the first to the second. It transforms the low impedance to high.
OPT works in a way similar to a transmission in a car--converting low torque high rpm engine turns into high torque low rpm wheel turns.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OPT works in a way similar to a transmission in a car--converting low torque high rpm engine turns into high torque low rpm wheel turns.
Uh oh, the dreaded car analogy! ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
Uh oh, the dreaded car analogy! ;)
What's dreaded about that analogy? Is it just because it's overused, or is there some other reason? As a retired E.E. who, with a colleague, has a patent on an output transformer for vacuum tube amplifiers, I actually am aware of the limitations of that 'tire'd' (oops! another car-word!) transformer-transmission analogy, but it does sort of get the idea across, especially for non E.E. tube enthusiasts just getting into the hobby. A bit worn around the edges, though, it certainly is. The treads on that tire are so thin that you can see the air inside.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Another solution to a problem that dosnt exist. And the liars contradict themselves.
"Cable impedances and their effects on the transmitted signal are non-existent." but wait half a page latter
"The sonic improvements with the Krell CAST MMF cable are immediate". :facepalm:

"CAST technology expands the usable audio signal bandwidth well over 2 MHz; ensuring harmonic reflections are virtually immeasurable in the audible frequency range." Useless, there are no reflections in the audio band.

"With CAST, circuit board properties and signal transmission aberrations between components are eliminated."
Its a miracle!

"This dramatic increase in circuit bandwidth delivers near perfection in the audible band that typically suffers from phase distortions in voltage circuits." Right, because voltage circuits only work up to 20khz.

And of course "you will hear significant improvements in every performance area" yes folks every and all areas, including your room treatment, you'll even dance better.:facepalm::facepalm:

dfuller

Major Contributor
He prefers choke power supplies for single ended valve amps. Now that one I can understand may be a benefit, effectively being a choke load on the anode and delaying the point at which the output would clip as signal rises.
Choke input or pi filter between plate and screen nodes? They both make sense, but...

(to be clear, screen nodes only apply to pentodes.)

Last edited:
OP
Newman

Newman

Major Contributor
The former.

Top Bottom