• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm not sure what the problem is, whether it's my amplifier or speaker. What's causing it?

ommadusk

It's a very confusing one this. I have a DAC connected to a power amplifier which is connected to stereo passive speakers. I had a problem whereby the left speaker would make crackle sounds and I'd hear noise in both speakers. I did some testing and I think the problem came from the left channel of the DAC. The problem hasn't happened for a while and I don't know why. The strange thing is that when I switched the DAC outputs or poweramp inputs I could hear the crackles in the right speaker but it wasn't as loud. There was a discernible difference. I've tried two identical speakers (I have two pairs) and the same thing happened, it was quieter in the right speaker. It's very strange isn't it? I could not make it so I had the same loud crackles in the right speaker as I did in the left. I'm wondering if I had a problem with the DAC and there's also a problem with the poweramplifier? Perhaps it will forever be a mystery.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a very confusing one this. I have a DAC connected to a power amplifier which is connected to stereo passive speakers. I had a problem whereby the left speaker would make crackle sounds and I'd hear noise in both speakers. I did some testing and I think the problem came from the left channel of the DAC. The problem hasn't happened for a while and I don't know why. The strange thing is that when I switched the DAC outputs or poweramp inputs I could hear the crackles in the right speaker but it wasn't as loud. There was a discernible difference. I've tried two identical speakers (I have two pairs) and the same thing happened, it was quieter in the right speaker. It's very strange isn't it? I could not make it so I had the same loud crackles in the right speaker as I did in the left. I'm wondering if I had a problem with the DAC and there's also a problem with the poweramplifier? Perhaps it will forever be a mystery.
Dodgy cable(s)?

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

I thought I'd eliminated that but I'll have to test that again if the problem reoccurs. Thank you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought I'd eliminated that but I'll have to test that again if the problem reoccurs. Thank you.
My guess is either dodgy cable or possibly dodgy connection at dac end

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
could be the dac, cables or amplifier. The only thing you ruled out so far is the speakers.

When I have had this sort of issue it's always the most expensive component so my money's on the amp. But you need to do some more substitutions. Maybe you are luckier than me and it's just a dodgy cable.

Top Bottom