• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First, I have seen arguments about how a DAC interacts with a DSP speaker. Does having a good DAC like the M500 have a beneficial impact on my setup or is it redundant since the speakers are already converting the signal internally?
You connect to these via XLR, so you need a DAC. Sounds like you're prepared.

Second, if I chose to run the MTM's into a studio subwoofer crossed over at 60hz and pass the signal from the sub to the M500 to give the speakers more headroom for playing at louder volumes without distortion, would I lose the room correction functionality of the speakers?
No, it would still function as normal but it would only correct the speaker response. I would recommend getting a UMIK-1, downloading Room EQ Wizard from AV Nirvana, and correcting all channels including the sub. See my above post for the additional benefit of better correction than ARC as well.

On this note, why are people discussing running a sub through miniDSP's active crossovers rather than using a studio subwoofer with the connections and crossover functionality built-in? Is it just for affordability or utilizing existing equipment?
This happens when the subwoofer does not have adequate facilities to do that. My Rythmiks do not, for example.

nolans

Forum Donor
You connect to these via XLR, so you need a DAC. Sounds like you're prepared.

No, it would still function as normal but it would only correct the speaker response. I would recommend getting a UMIK-1, downloading Room EQ Wizard from AV Nirvana, and correcting all channels including the sub. See my above post for the additional benefit of better correction than ARC as well.

This happens when the subwoofer does not have adequate facilities to do that. My Rythmiks do not, for example.

I very much appreciate your response. I am taking my first steps into HiFi with this system at my desk (where I work in post video production) and with a set of Buchardt A500s in the family room focused on music and some tv/movies. Both setups should arrive within the next two weeks and while I've tried to prepare adequately, I still have so much to learn! I will hold off on a sub for the MTM's right now since I highly doubt my work will significantly benefit from adding one, but I am interested in learning how to read measurements and use room correction software. That will certainly be my next project.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a badass setup...

NZ6_5306.jpg

nolans

Forum Donor
Looks like we have similar goals/taste! Nice. I'll make sure to follow up when I get everything situated.

timblocktoom

May I ask what the proper height on these is?

What part of the speaker do we want at our ear height?

(trying to source some desktop mic stands of appropriate height and not all good options are adjustable)

nolans

Forum Donor
May I ask what the proper height on these is?

What part of the speaker do we want at our ear height?

(trying to source some desktop mic stands of appropriate height and not all good options are adjustable)

The tweeter should be at ear level. For me, this worked out to be a pretty perfect match for the 9" (really like 8.7") Kanto desk stands. I wanted something clean and white to match the aesthetics of my desk so I am very happy with this match. The tweeter is about 5.2" up from the bottom of the speaker housing. That puts the tweeter about 14" high on my desk which is within .5-1" of my ear level depending on how I'm sitting. Hopefully, that is helpful in some way!

timblocktoom

The tweeter should be at ear level. For me, this worked out to be a pretty perfect match for the 9" (really like 8.7") Kanto desk stands. I wanted something clean and white to match the aesthetics of my desk so I am very happy with this match. The tweeter is about 5.2" up from the bottom of the speaker housing. That puts the tweeter about 14" high on my desk which is within .5-1" of my ear level depending on how I'm sitting. Hopefully, that is helpful in some way!

Very helpful indeed - thank you!

You don't happen to have a photo of your setup do you?

nolans

Forum Donor
Very helpful indeed - thank you!

You don't happen to have a photo of your setup do you?

Sure! As a note, the speakers are flipped upside down so that they rest flat on the stands (the provided adjustable stand is too long to rest on the top plate), but since the tweeter is centered and the top and bottom drivers are identical it doesn't matter. Also, I know the cable management is messy, but I've ordered longer white cables so that everything can be properly hidden haha
iLoud MTM setup.jpg

timblocktoom

Dang! The white ones with matching stands!

That is hot! Very cool looking..

So you can't actually screw into the microphone stand/hole on the bottom of the MTM's?

nolans

Forum Donor
Dang! The white ones with matching stands!

That is hot! Very cool looking..

So you can't actually screw into the microphone stand/hole on the bottom of the MTM's?

Not unless you drill a bigger hole in the Kanto baseplate. It would be very easy to do and you could use the included screw for the adjustable stand. I might try it, but the screw mount sticks out a bit (which is why they won't stand up flat) and I think I prefer the speaker housing to have more contact with the absorption material than have it resting on one screw.

timblocktoom

I just did the built in ARC again and I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the results at all.

I really prefer the normal "desk" setting

nolans

Forum Donor
I wanted to chime in on this thread and give my thoughts on the iLoud MTMs after a few days of listening with the included calibration method in-use. I am sort of new to the audiophile world. My dad had several ~$5-$10k car and home hifi systems throughout my childhood, but I have not pursued purchasing anything beyond a $600 soundbar and a factory upgraded car stereo. After spending the past 4 months researching everything audio-related here and elsewhere, I put together a nearfield set up for work and have a pair of Buchardt A500s on the way for our family room space. There are not many user experiences for the iLoud MTM speakers available online so I thought that I would give my first impressions now that I've had a few days to listen to them.

My Setup:
I am using these speakers in a nearfield desk setup. The tweeters are 1m apart with my sitting position roughly 1m from speakers and the speakers are on 9" Kanto stands to bring the tweeters to my ear height. My desk is in a ~20'x8' room with the desk centered on the 20' wall and speakers facing the short wall. The speakers are connected to an S.M.S.L. M500 which is connected to my PC through USB.

Initial Impressions:
For my primary use of mixing dialogue and music for video content, these are absolutely wonderful. I have zero complaints. The vocal reproduction on these and the phantom center image, in particular, is really impressive and listening to these was actually the first time I have ever truly experienced this effect in an obvious and dramatic way. They also retain their positive attributes at much lower volumes than I am used to from personal experiences with other systems. I usually mix between 65-75db for video editing.

For listening to music, these are the best sounding speakers I have personally heard. I don't have experience with many HiFi systems, but I regularly listen to my dad's Monitor Audio Bronze 2.1 system through a decent Yamaha amp. The resolution, sound stage, and center image of the iLoud MTMs blow those out of the water (my subjective opinion) in our respective uses/rooms.

That being said, I want to talk about their obvious limits in relation to loudness. One of the primary arguments against these speakers goes back to Amir's final comments in his review and other's experiences regarding low volume limitations. When these speakers are trying to extend to the limits of their 40hz capability at even moderately high volumes, you will begin to hear chuffing sounds through the port quickly followed by terrible distortion. Whether the volume at which that happens is acceptable to you or not is entirely subjective, but should definitely be factored into your purchasing decision. To that end, I spent an hour measuring SPL from 1m at the 40hz setting (everything else flat and built-in room correction applied) with a variety of songs using Tidal premium to give anyone trying to determine if this speaker is right for them a reference point.

Testing Loudness Limits:
The songs I tested are listed below with the volume level I could achieve without noticing any port noise or distortion. Of course, I am not a scientific instrument and my perception of the port sounds or distortion is certainly imperfect. I also know that the internal room correction could impact these numbers as well. Take these numbers with a grain of salt.

"Turn Your Lights Down Low" Bob Marley & The Wailers (40hz 77db avg/85db peak)
"The National Anthem" Radiohead (40z 85db avg/95db peak)
"Get Lucky" Daft Punk (40hz 85db avg/90db peak)
"Spoon (2004 Remaster)" Can (40hz 90db avg/99db peak)
"Good as Hell" Lizzo (40hz 87db avg/91db peak)
"Colors" Black Pumas (40hz 89db avg/96db peak)
"Escape from LA" The Weekend (40hz 76db avg/81db peak)
"I Lost a Friend" FINNEAS (40hz 78db avg/85db peak)
"Mortals" Warriyo (40hz 84db avg/90db peak)
"Prisoner" Dance Gavin Dance (40hz 93db avg/97db peak)

Everything I tested sounded fine at an ~85db avg at 1m with the 50hz cutoff setting applied. Since ~85db is my target volume for nearfield music listening, I have set the cutoff to 50hz. I don't want to worry about suddenly having a song reach the point where that terrible chuffing noise and distortion appear every 15 minutes while I listen to a playlist. I listen to so many genres including pop, rock, hip-hop, R&B, folk, alternative, country, classical, metal, hardcore, electronic, etc. I'd rather set it and forget it. Plus, 40hz isn't critical for me when video editing.

Conclusion:

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and will be keeping the speakers. They are not perfect for everyone, but my criteria for this setup is a small housing (~5" width), flat response, and 85db avg music listening volumes. For that, these feel like the perfect fit. Getting all of that with the 50hz cutoff works fine for me. I do WANT to eventually add a 10" studio subwoofer with a 60hz crossover and if this was going to be my primary setup I would do it right now, but realistically these are primarily meant for work and the sub wouldn't help with that. I have Buchardt A500s on the way and I'm much more inclined to add a sub to that system when they release the new hub and subwoofer. For now, my only additional plan for these is to eq them in REW as @Chromatischism recommended.

I would not recommend these speakers to people with the following criteria:
- Listening beyond 2m. For me, they lose what makes them special further out and this would exacerbate the existing loudness limitations to an even greater extent.
- Listening to primarily modern pop, hip-hop, R&B, or electronic music while expecting clean, deep bass at volumes exceeding 80db with no plans of adding a sub.

nolans

Forum Donor
@nolans

Excellent thoughts, thank you for sharing.
What subs would you consider for these?
Thanks! I'm glad you found it interesting.

It really depends on your budget and whether the sub you're buying can cross over at 50/60hz. Most of the studio subs under $1000 seem to cross over at 80hz. From my research and subjective opinions online, the KRK 10s for $400 seemed like the best bet. If you were willing to spend double the Adam Sub 8 also looked like a solid option. Both are ported. I can't really speak to the qualitative differences between those subs though. I just know that they can both cross over at 60hz. I personally would only go for a studio subwoofer because I don't already have a home sub laying around and I don't want to wire up an external crossover as people have mentioned doing here on this thread.

nolans

Forum Donor
I just did the built in ARC again and I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the results at all.

It is interesting to see people have really different experiences with the built-in correction system. Did you have the mic facing directly forward from your listening position at tweeter height in a horizontal orientation? I've seen accounts of several people getting wonky calibration from pointing the mic vertically like you would for some other systems.

timblocktoom

It is interesting to see people have really different experiences with the built-in correction system. Did you have the mic facing directly forward from your listening position at tweeter height in a horizontal orientation? I've seen accounts of several people getting wonky calibration from pointing the mic vertically like you would for some other use cases.

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I had it right....Might try again another day

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I wasn't too impressed either. I think there is only so much it can do with a single point measurement. I would strongly suggest getting Equalizer APO going and using a moving mic average measurement to make REW filters from. That got me 90% of the way there without much work. Let me know if any of those steps need explained further.

Top Bottom