• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Iconic Arecibo Observatory telescope collapsed

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, saw the sad news this morning. Just yesterday I was reading the ground roots efforts to save the observatory. It is so iconic. Wish it could have been preserved. It was pictured in one of my favorite movies: Contact.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah sad news.

Been reading about the problems there a few weeks. I don't understand why it would be so costly or difficult to get some additional support cables in place. Not in place to make it operational, but in place to support it safely until it could be properly repaired. There was a plan to at least shore things up a few weeks ago, but whomever is calling the shots decided it was too dangerous.

More than likely if you were there it would be apparent why it couldn't be done, but from a distance it seems as if not much effort was made to hold things up on a jury rigged basis until it could be properly fixed.

I also wonder about maintenance. The structural support cables were at end of life. Was there never anything in place to replace them, and were these the original cables from so long ago? Seems like an easily avoided problem.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It wouldn't have been a problem if they'd caught the worsening condition in time. For whatever reason they didn't, and the judgement from the inspection after the first breakage has been vindicated by events. The comments (long and growing) for the recent ArsTechnica articles suggest that mechanical maintenance is somewhat lacking at many of the facilities due to budget constraints, although there's a link in there about the shenanigans with substandard cabling that went into the Brooklyn Bridge too. There's also a link to a recent newsletter with a comment from one of the original designers saying it had done very well for a structure with a 10 year design life. If there's a published post mortem investigation we might find out some measure of the truth.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One article from 2014 said the cables had a 40 year design life. But extra gear was added a few years back with no upgrade to the cabling for the extra weight.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I've seen conflicting info in different articles on cables and refits, none referenced to verifiable sources, so if you've got any better info I'd be interested. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we ever see enough detail to make a sound engineering judgement though. I'll settle for being sad to see it go, but happy nobody was injured in the process.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Eurasian

Forum Donor
One of the most interesting hikes I ever made was through the rivers and caverns underneath the observatory and nearby. I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to see this place while it was intact, and very sad that the structure has failed and is beyond practical repair.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've seen conflicting info in different articles on cables and refits, none referenced to verifiable sources, so if you've got any better info I'd be interested. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we ever see enough detail to make a sound engineering judgement though. I'll settle for being sad to see it go, but happy nobody was injured in the process.

NAIC has been giving details of everything that happened along the way: https://www.naic.edu/ao/repairs-update

Basically, it had redundant cabling and people suspected for years that the cables might not still meet their design specs. On Aug. 10 the cable mount for one of the auxiliary cables failed in an unexpected way due to improper installation. This put stress on the main cables, one of which failed on Nov. 6. They hired three engineering firms to assess, who found that this second failure confirmed that the main cables could no longer handle their rated load. None of the firms could come up with a safe proposal for fixing it (the suspended platform weighs 900 tons!).

It's sad to see it go, but China's new FAST is for the most part a better instrument for everything but high frequency observations. The radar astronomy community is down to just the Goldstone Solar System Radar though, which you often see in movies too... it's that big array of dishes in the desert.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad. I think it would be great if some tech billionaire would step up and make rebuilding it a pet project.

Martin

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So you wanna be an Astrophysicist?

Unpack this for fun.

1606976195904.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor