• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The acoustics of Stonehenge

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry, I don't someone will...

"Everything's a twelfth of the size in real life..."

I visited Stone Henge in 1969 (12 years old), when it was completely open and you could run around freely. Sure, it was missing stones, but I find the notion that it somehow had strongly compelling acoustic properties probably a reach.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Whenever somebody mentions Stonehenge, Spinal Tap is the 1st thing I think of...

And the scale model really does it!

What does Stonehenge sound like? It's a standard hard rock song with guitars, drums, bass, keyboards, vocals, and a strong beat. :D :D :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That long ago, the sound system must have been tubes.

robwpdx

If you are in the Western US you can experience a full scale Stonehenge Replica. It is in Washington on the Columbia River across from Oregon. It is about 2 hours from Portland and about 3 1/2 hours from Seattle.

It was built by a fascinating entrepreneur Sam Hill. His mansion nearby is a museum now. The Stonehenge is a memorial to veterans.

The Stonehenge Replica is made of concrete stucco with a fine gravel base to walk on. So you can visit and make acoustical measurements!

Goldendale itself is small. The area has a large wind farm I think is beautiful in the day or at night with red aircraft beacons. It is between two large hydroelectric dams, The Dalles and John Day. There is an astronomical observatory run by the State of Washington as a public park. It is a great peach growing area, and they have peach honey. It is the proposed site of a very large pumped storage facility for the electric grid.

https://www.maryhillmuseum.org/outside/stonehenge-memorial

stonehenge1-300x225.jpg

Maybe Dr Trevor Cox, professor and acoustics researcher at the University of Salford in Manchester would like to visit?

Last edited:

Leeken

Went to both solstice’s last year,amazing experience,got knighted by King Arthur at the second,you can all now call me Sir peasants!

Martini

Forum Donor
Went to both solstice’s last year,amazing experience,got knighted by King Arthur at the second,you can all now call me Sir peasants!
Yes, most certainly Lord Blackadder.
iu

Top Bottom