• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I spent several weeks to develop this EQ preset for Sennheiser HD800

gorman

Just ordered HD800, can’t wait to tame this bright headphone.
You're in for a treat. One of those rare occasions where long building expectations were not let down. In my case, at least.

Carlo2AC

I tried EQing Sundara. Rather than Oratory1990 settings, I prefer the sound from my own tweaking using Rtings FR measurement and FR target curve as a reference. But Oratory1990 setting for WH-1000XM3 is already good enough for my ears. Just ordered HD800, can’t wait to tame this bright headphone.

how have you faired on them since the last few months?

Erispedia

oh, but have you EQ your 800 (Harman or other curve?) ? how are you feeling the headset?

Of course I use EQ. I have two EQ presets. One is by using SoundID by Sonarworks, and the other one is a preset that I created myself using Equalizer APO. My custom preset is very similar to SoundID preset but a bit brighter and with tighter bass. But mostly I use SoundID.

So far I can say I have no more interest to look for other headphones. The comfort is simply unbeatable. And I have no complain about the sound after being EQed.

Carlo2AC

Of course I use EQ. I have two EQ presets. One is by using SoundID by Sonarworks, and the other one is a preset that I created myself using Equalizer APO. My custom preset is very similar to SoundID preset but a bit brighter and with tighter bass. But mostly I use SoundID.

So far I can say I have no more interest to look for other headphones. The comfort is simply unbeatable. And I have no complain about the sound after being EQed.

thats awesome, could you share your APO EQ?

Erispedia

thats awesome, could you share your APO EQ?

Here you go. Just adjust the 4500Hz if you want to change the high frequency as a whole to suit your taste. That one uses shelf filter. Sorry had to use a lot of bands and high Q. But I personally prefer this than Oratory's. But just a reminder, it won't always works better for everyone elses.

Capture.JPG

Carlo2AC

Thank you for sharing friend, i will be trying to find my own taste on the HD800, i also disliked the Oratory's Harman on my 660s, i've found it too "shrill" and "sharp"

Polyfonik

Hi all.
I've had my HD800 for several years but only started to try EQ since last year. The reason is I did not want to EQ with only subjective feedback. I need something to generate instantaneous, objective feedback aside from my ears.

As we know the HD800 is famous for its infamous high frequency peaks. It is necessary to use EQ whenever I listen to HD800 - I literally could not stand the original sound signature. But I couldn't EQ it properly which lead me to listen more to my speakers.

So I eventually got my headphone test rig last year and everything becomes fun since then.

Things I use:

-RME-ADI2 as the DAC + Headphone Amp;
-Fabfilter Pro-Q for EQ;
-REW for measurement;
-Audio Hijack to reroute the audio from REW (the test signal) to Fabfilter;
-HD800, serial number 01236 (early manufacture);
-MiniDSP EARS test rig.

RME ADI-2 has some of the lowest distortion in the industry so I'm pretty sure what I got out from my HD800 is going to be close to what you hear(not the same since our HD800 are after all, different pair of headphones), unless your DAC/AMP's Frequency Response deviates from RME too much.

What I did was:
  1. Generate measurement result with REW;
  2. Compare it with Harman Target Curve;
  3. Sets the frequency and estimated magnitude of each adjusting point;
  4. Generate measurement Result after EQ;
  5. (Repeat step 2-4);
  6. Once the output of the EQed Headphone is close to the target curve, start subjective tuning;
  7. Adjust the frequency, magnitude and Q level of each adjusting point, trying to find the best preference of each adjusting point;
  8. Once the EQed headphone sound as pleasing as it could get, run the measurement again;(we get preset V1 here)
  9. Now use this "pleasing target curve" - which is close but not identical to the universal Harman target curve - as the new target curve;
  10. Create a set of new adjusting point, this time targeting the new curve generated in step 8;
  11. Trying to use minimum number of setpoints to achieve the same target curve (as we know, less is more)
  12. (Now you could see why it took me so long - A target curve can be roughly achieved by infinite combination of adjustment;
  13. After the new target curve is roughly reached with less number of adjusting point, do step 6-8;(we get preset V2 here)
  14. Compare preset V2 to V1, if V1 sounds better, repeat step 9-13; if V2 sounds better, repeat step 9-13 but this time, use V2 as target curve instead of V1;
  15. Repeat 9-14 until I couldn't make the preset sounds any better, and could not reduce the number of adjusting point anymore, we get the final preset Vn.
Note I only used Harman Target Curve in step 2 as it is not only the driver itself creating the frequency response. There's also resonance and cancellation. So if we just force the combined Frequency response to match the Harman Curve you're guaranteed to create weird sound.
The remaining works needs to be done by our own ears.

This process took me several weeks as the critical listening part could be difficult - you could only focus on analysing the sound for a limited duration.
I've been using the final preset for a while and it just sounds better than any other EQ (for HD800) I've created or found online.

I've incorporated the EQ into 2 test track which can be downloaded here:
Male Vocal with natural instruments:
Before EQ: Roadhouses & Automobiles
After EQ: Roadhouses & Automobiles - EQ
Synthesizer with symphony orchestra:
Before EQ: Main theme from Pacific Rim
After EQ: Main theme from Pacific Rim - EQ
Femel Vocal with synthesized&natural instruments:
Before EQ: Glem ikkje - Kari Bremnes
After EQ: Glem ikkje - Kari Bremnes - EQ

HD800 owners could immediately tell the difference between the 2 tracks. Please don't try the EQed tracks on other headphone/IEMs, they would only make things worse.
As Fabfilter is not opensource and actually quite expensive to purchase, I would not post the preset file here (Fabfilter use their own file format), to prevent any allegation as if I'm promoting this software. If you happen to have fabfilter and want the preset file, please PM me and I'll send privately.
If you're interested to try more tracks please upload and post the link here, and I'll incorporate the preset so you could compare with your favourite music.
Please let me know you feel about the effect of this EQ preset.

Measurement of the right channel of my HD800 without EQ (Red) and with the final preset (Green).

-qyy920

View attachment 73083

Hi Lalalard,
I read your post because I have a pair of the HD 800 I always knew that they had an issue with the high mid frequencies which always made my mixes sound a little dull.

would you be so kind as to send me your fat filter preset I would love to do some tests and see how my mixes sound after your Solution.

Looking forward to your response

Christian

Last edited:

Puroplatino

Thanks, not too expensive from UK to Austria then. Looks like I need to join Reddit then to communicate with him. I might send him my AKG K702 and perhaps the new version of the Sennheiser HD600 which I ordered today, as it might be interesting for him to test the new version of the HD600 vs the old version.
Hey man got a question for ya. I’m a noob and have no idea how to implement these eq settings. What do I do just copy them down and input them every time or is there an app where I can save all my gear on and it will save my eq settings? Thanks man

xykreinov

Forum Donor

jonfitch

Your EQ preset kind of reminds me of the tuning of the new Drop HD8XX, except the late one has a dip instead of a boost around 2k. Will be interesting to see if the new tuning makes a big difference.

Top Bottom