• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need advice - Extension and open plan living space floorplan

Nightyard

Hi all,

I'm doing a renovation currently and want some advice on what speakers should be put where and what to buy (I'm happy to spend the money, but it must be a good deal as I hate paying retail)

Should I use the speakers wired into the rear wall (covered in slats) for side surrounds/back surrounds/ in-wall subwoofers? Should I use rear ceiling speakers for surround duties or just have 4 x atmos? How would you configure the setup and which speakers would you use in there? I've built sealed MDF boxes inside the stud walls and ceilings. All cavities have Rockwool RWA45 in them.

The mounting depth available for the rear wall is 87mm without building a small standoff frame, so that does limit the in-wall speakers that will fit there, plus I plan on covering the entire wall with oak latting so that'll definitely impact the sound quality for the upper frequencies and I accept that as a compromise for having speakers back there without it ruining the aesthetic of the oak lat wall. I plan to eventually purchase the KEF CI3160RL for left and right when they come up on eBay for a good price, but I'd equally be happy to use something else like the KEF CI200RR there.

Mounting depth available in the media wall and ceiling is ~190mm

There are also a number of in-wall/ceiling monitor audio speakers at a good discount on Peter Tyson's eBay that I would consider.

All AV equipment is also on its own dedicated circuit.

Currently, I own:
1 x KEF CI 5160RL
2 xKEF CI 9000 ACE
4 x KEF CI 200RR
1 x SVS 3000 Micro (plan to have two on these as they're small and won't get in the way. Subwoofer ports and electrical sockets are wired below the left/right in-wall speakers.

Draft floorplan (Speaker wire has been routed already):

layout (1).png

Back wall as it currently stands.
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-05 at 13.24.09.jpeg

Diagram of rear wall latting and in-wall speaker
1694265322553.png

Media wall - 98" TV, LCR, Subwoofers.
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-05 at 13.24.09 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-05 at 13.24.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-05 at 13.24.09.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 32
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-05 at 13.24.09 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-05 at 13.24.09 (1).jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1696509175868.png
    1696509175868.png
    245 bytes · Views: 34

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Looks good.. except that I would advise for more serious subwoofers.
Since you're installation is mostly hidden, in-wall subwoofers would be a consideration. Based entirely on reputation I'd suggest this. a pair of these for about $2000 according to this :
from the article in Audioholics (click here)
It can deliver all 800 watts to a single in-wall sub with its dual 9-inch drivers, or it can be configured to split that power between a pair of in-wall subs, delivering 400 watts to each. We always recommend using multiple subs to get the most even bass response across a wider listening area, and SVS’s flexible amplifier makes doing so easier and less expensive. A single In-Wall 3000 with the included amplifier is priced at $1,300 and that certainly seems like a fair price, but $2,000 will get you a pair of the subs plus the amplifier. That means you can get two amps and four in-wall subwoofers for less than you’d spend on a pair of the company’s popular SB16-Ultra or PB-4000 subwoofers. Sure, those big-box subs might offer more output in the very lowest frequencies, but they’re also visually obtrusive and very heavy. And if you’re more concerned about even bass response than infrasonic rumble, a quad-pack of In-Wall 3000 subs might be the smarter choice, as well as the more style-friendly one.
You have a sizable area and volume when you consider the adjacent space...
I understand that it translates in a larger budget but ...

Peace.

OP
N

Nightyard

I haven't run speaker wire for subwoofers to the media wall from room at the back as I intended to have active subs. defo should have as I could have put some subs beneath the left and right channels quite easily.

Top Bottom