• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I have a UMC22, is the headphone output powerful enough to run a pair of 250ohm headphones?

woolfy

I have been using my UMC22 for a while and I am debating whether it is worth it upgrading to a separate amp (Schiit Magni 3/Heresy) to power my DT990s 250ohm. I was just wondering if it is worth the upgrade. I plan on doing this by either doing 3.5mm to RCA from the audio interface, or the inbuilt DAC on my motherboard.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For high impedance headphones having a separate headphone amplifier can be beneficial when you either can not go loud enough or the sound gets 'grungy' at louder than average listening levels.

OP
woolfy

woolfy

For high impedance headphones having a separate headphone amplifier can be beneficial when you either can not go loud enough or the sound gets 'grungy' at louder than average listening levels.
I am able to get the volume that I need, and there is no 'grungyness', so would there be a point in getting a seperate amp?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
most likely ...Nope.

charleski

Major Contributor
In general, small chip-amp headphone outputs fall down when driving low-impedance headphones, but do fine on higher impedances.

Top Bottom