• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am looking for an over ear with the following characteristics.

I am looking for an over ear with the following characteristics.

• Hifiman Sundara

• HD650

• HD660s

• HD600

• DT1990pro

• Focal Elegia

• Meze 99 classics

• Sivga Phoenix

• Hifman Deva pro

• Other (coment)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lynxairsound

-High detail/resolution. You perceive a clean and detailed sound.
-Optimal soundtage. I'm not necessarily looking for a massive stage but one that doesn't feel intimate.
-Accurate imaging. Easy to locate instruments and/or voices.
-Deep bass. I'm not a basshead but I do consider that bass in general gives, in my opinion, an extra flavour to all music.
-Good dynamics.
-Price not more than 500€. All the above options are worth less.

I own an HD560s and I think its tonality is very good for only 150€. Despite that it lacks a bit of treble in certain songs but I consider it a very good headphone to start in this world. I would have liked it to have more detail and better imaging.

Source: Streaming music. TIDAL hifi.
I have a desktop amp and a portable amp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Most headphones on your list don't meet your requirements based on their stock frequency response alone.
Is the stock response a factor for you or do you use EQ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Better imaging ? HD800S with some EQ.

Tonal balance can be corrected using EQ.
Sensitivity, seal, resonances (sharp nulls), comfort, distortion/compression, imaging/headstage cannot be improved.
There are electronic plug-in tricks that can give you the impression of wider sound but mostly at the expense of other aspects.

Why not play with EQ on the HD560S ?

For a closed headphone in the HD560S price range I suggest Brainwavz HM5.
You will not get the HD560 imaging/headstage though.

The list of headphones you have all are not what you are looking for. Some way too sharp others way too dark.

OP
L

Lynxairsound

Most headphones on your list don't meet your requirements based on their stock frequency response alone.
Is the stock response a factor for you or do you use EQ?
Yes, they are fulfilled. Which one do you think is better?

OP
L

Lynxairsound

Better imaging ? HD800S with some EQ.

Tonal balance can be corrected using EQ.
Sensitivity, seal, resonances (sharp nulls), comfort, distortion/compression, imaging/headstage cannot be improved.
There are electronic plug-in tricks that can give you the impression of wider sound but mostly at the expense of other aspects.

Why not play with EQ on the HD560S ?

For a closed headphone in the HD560S price range I suggest Brainwavz HM5.
You will not get the HD560 imaging/headstage though.

The list of headphones you have all are not what you are looking for. Some way too sharp others way too dark.
Please. I registered here because it looks like a forum where such answers are not given. I put less than 500€.
If I ask if you like pears or apples better, don't tell me watermelons.

RHO

Major Contributor
-Deep bass. I'm not a basshead but I do consider that bass in general gives, in my opinion, an extra flavour to all music.
None of your suggestions have deep bass without EQ.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I registered here because it looks like a forum where such answers are not given
Do you mean you don't want to use any EQ? If so, look at the headphone index here, recommended based on testing without EQ;

1649154536487.png

JSmith

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Please. I registered here because it looks like a forum where such answers are not given. I put less than 500€.
If I ask if you like pears or apples better, don't tell me watermelons.

You want better imaging and an improvement in sound quality the HD800 makes an audible improvements in both area's (but still requires EQ).
The rest is side grades where one trades one aspect it is better in for the other.
You can get 2nd hand HD800 for around € 600 if you look hard enough. Stretch your budget if you want to have noticeable better performance.
I own both HD560S and HD800 (with EQ) and to trained ears there is a definite difference where ask I ask someone less experienced they will say.
Both sound good (with EQ) and will find the HD800(S) sharp and bass-shy compared to the HD560S when used without EQ.

You can also opt for something like HE400SE which is cheap and needs EQ but it doesn't image as well.

Also realize more expensive does not mean better.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lynxairsound

You want better imaging and an improvement in sound quality the HD800 makes an audible improvements in both area's (but still requires EQ).
The rest is side grades where one trades one aspect it is better in for the other.
You can get 2nd hand HD800 for around € 600 if you look hard enough. Stretch your budget if you want to have noticeable better performance.
I own both HD560S and HD800 (with EQ) and to trained ears there is a definite difference where ask I ask someone less experienced they will say.
Both sound good (with EQ) and will find the HD800(S) sharp and bass-shy compared to the HD560S when used without EQ.

You can also opt for something like HE400SE which is cheap and needs EQ but it doesn't image as well.

Also realize more expensive does not mean better.
The hd560 feels like it lacks more cleanliness. It is clean, yes, more than others but I want more resolution in the audio. If the hd560s is 1080p I want at least a 2k (stupid analogy but you get my drift).
The imaging of the 560s is its weakest point, it's not very good.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The hd560 feels like it lacks more cleanliness. It is clean, yes, more than others but I want more resolution in the audio. If the hd560s is 1080p I want at least a 2k (stupid analogy but you get my drift).
The imaging of the 560s is its weakest point, it's not very good.

Then you need to upgrade not sidegrade. HD800S is the 4k version but needs EQ. At least... when we are talking about the same thing.

The imaging of the 560s is its weakest point, it's not very good

This could be personal. Personally I would rate imaging of HD560S as above average compared to most similar and even higher priced headphones out there but not as good as HD800(S). Don't expect big differences in imaging though. Part of imaging is brain and ear related which is a variable that differs between individuals.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
I want more resolution in the audio
If the details are not in the recording, no matter what headphones you use, you will never hear them.

Geert

Major Contributor
None of your suggestions have deep bass without EQ.
Bass of the DT 1990 Pro is excellent. With the given requirements, I think this is the best choice from the list. But you might need to EQ the treble, unless you like the hot treble because you expirience it as high resolution.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Edition XS or HE4XX

Last edited:

ExEnemy

Heard good things about the new Hifiman Edition XS. Egg-shaped Hifiman is known for soundstage and imaging quality, and if you like clean bass so planar heaphone is your easy choice.
Or you can just go the OG way and get a HD800/s. That one is always great to have for their uniqueness and top-notch comfort.

RHO

Major Contributor
Bass of the DT 1990 Pro is excellent. With the given requirements, I think this is the best choice from the list. But you might need to EQ the treble, unless you like the hot treble because you expirience it as high resolution.
Looking at the measurements I wouldn't say there's much more bass than the Sundara or several others in his list.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One should keep in mind that the OP is looking for better imaging, not tonal balance.

The important factors for imaging are:
Driver diameter/wavefront, driver ear distance, driver-ear angle, seal (makes a difference is some cases when resonances occur), driver channel balance, ears, brain, recording, frequency response between 1kHz and 10kHz is also of relevance.

To properly compare things like imaging/headstage it is kind of relevant to be able to compare quite a few different headphones for those particular aspects and must have been able to hear many different models. (IMHO)

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
Looking at the measurements I wouldn't say there's much more bass than the Sundara or several others in his list.
It has more base than the HD 560s. Bass response is close to Harman target.

staticV3

Master Contributor
How is this "close to Harman target"?
Screenshot_20220406-134710_Chrome.jpg
It's like 3.5dB over at 220Hz, 6.5dB under at 20Hz.

In comparison, the 560s is a lot closer to Harman:
Screenshot_20220406-135132_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom