• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I’ve completed my headphone journey

OP
K

KehaDNb

Maybe change the title (or have it changed by one of the mods) to:

Have I completed my headphone journey ?​

or

At this moment I have settled for... but that pesky upgraditis.
Heheh. I can’t change that now afterwards

OP
K

KehaDNb

C3D98E52-2B53-4D3B-9167-BB7D1B919F35.jpeg
Fearless audio s6 pro. I received my custom in ear . My xelento now becomes obsolete. First sound impression is good. If the ears are not too dry …. Takes a couple of minutes for them to fit properly because of that.

OP
K

KehaDNb

737B23A1-1053-49BC-BB20-D6DBA95B7F91.jpeg
087C6E9C-1D54-4D7F-9795-0EC0B6468E10.jpeg
Ordered the sennheiser hd 800s to make another comparison to my audeze mm500. Couldn’t find any reviews online comparing the two. I was always curious how the hd800s will sound or hd800 so to speak so now is the chance. Got them for like 1300 euros b stock wouldn’t be a deal breaker if I had to actually sell the mm500. I want to know. I’m up for it.

OP
K

KehaDNb

445A5E9D-C40A-4FD3-ADA2-3625C6178CBC.jpeg
As I now received a custom in ear monitor, from fearless audio, the s6 pro, I thought I would be more drawn to its sound signature, but I was wrong. The xelento seals better that’s the first point. The sound is way more natural, in a way missed the bass and the especially drum hits become literally really annoying, because of the drum slam , the high mids are really annoying I found out. So, first buy I really regret because I can’t return because of the custom nature. Probably move forward buying the second gen of the xelentos nature and than I’m done. Especially for the fit I expected more seal, keep in mind I use the comfy tips on the xelento. Can’t get my money back awrrr.

OP
K

KehaDNb

05024A5A-2F5C-43BE-BC02-66086B06FA63.jpeg
Vs audeze mm500. Simply decided on the sennheiser just because the treble is not that recessed. The headphone on its own is not that engaging and easier on the listener on top of that.

asrUser

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Use the Senn instead of the audeze now

It's what I use mostly as well but EQ'ed.
Every now and then I use another one (new or from my 'stash') and usually enjoy these for a while before reverting back to HD800 or something else (if I need closed or portable).

The 'search' is never ending for a lot of 'us'. Some folks just buy one and stick with it until it falls apart.

OP
K

KehaDNb

74CBD070-EEC2-4D38-9A2F-C510A1E6E765.jpeg
After equing the audeze switched back to them , the sennheiser were not that good with eq. And for long sessions the audeze now capable to wear for a long time with eq

asrUser

the sennheiser were not that good with eq. And for long sessions the audeze now capable to wear for a long time with eq
How exactly where the Sennheiser "not that good"? Could you give more explanations?

Liberte

I don't have a lot of IEM xperience but the Xelento are perfect sounding to me, with an 'out of head sound', very satisfying bass with a lot of detail and they don't feel like you're wearing anything. The Gen2 was double the price, with less bass, less treble and more ostentatious design, all reasons for which I prefer the OG.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

My own "earphones" saga:

Several but I can remember liking very much the Denon 2000 (Can't remember( exact model name. Then acquired a Stax ESL.. because "they" said ESL headphones were the last word in headphones, Found the midrange good but the rest lightweight, meaning the entire reproduction lacks "body". There is no other way to describe it. Thought that it was maybe because of my DAC,, and energizer/amp ... or preamplifier or :facepalm: cables.. acquired various tubes headphones amplifiers.. then back to the Denon, then acquired an HifiMan HE-400 or was it a 500? then an HE6 with the speaker to headphones adapter .. that was better but cumbersome, then an HE-560, more convenient than the HE6, then an iFi DAC/headphones amplifier ... in passing a Hyperlux (can't remember the model, but it was cheap, then a Sennheiser Momentum, then some Audeze LCD , perhaps the 2?

Then I discovered @solderdude 's site.. A breath of fresh air and sanity; then ASR via @amirm , started testing headphones... Learned about the Harman Headphones curve and learned a lot about headphones, in particular the too often repeated BS about headphone amplifiers.
And learned about EQ.. Game was nearing the end.. with EQ, different headphones, started sounding very similar, to the point of ... sameness. Some did however retain their own character, the Stax, EQ-ed sounds light no matter what... the HE6 (original) sounded best to my ears... then .. I acquired a super High SINAD DAC + Amp that we came to call the "ASR Special": KHADAS Toneboard DAC + JDS Lab Atom amp, for the total sum of $220.oo. This gem of an amp was powerful enough to drive the HE6 to make some sound.. then...
HifiMan made the HE6Se, for $1900.oo.. and .... they started selling basically the same headphones in a cheaper headband and through a third party for pas cher: it can be found at times at around $400.oo..I acquired for around $500.oo
I acquired a THX 789AAA amplifier on eBay.
Found a Raspberry Pi4 in which I installed Volumio with the Camilla DSP for EQ
A Topping D10Balanced
The HifiMan HE6Sev2...
Headphones game over.
Then ASR reviewed the TRUTHEAR Crinnacle Zero (TCZ) , never cared about IEM before. I don't like to insert anything in my ears canals.... but for $50, why not?... IEM game over with no EQ!! WIth EQ, SOTA, endgame.
but, do like the looks and feel of the Sennheiser HD800s... I'd like to give it a serious audition, to find out if I would care about its fabled spatial qualities and not get tired of it and if those of the HE6Se are not similar... I am not in any rush at the moment or for the foreseeable future.. Basically game over. Don't feel the need for headphones change ...

Peace.

Top Bottom