• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypothetical: 2 Revel F208s vs 2 Revel F206s and 2 SVS PB-2000s

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Keep on mind your rooms guys. I have 23hz (-3db) speakers and I had to close the bass port (with factory provided dedicated plugs) and use APO to get my +15db 42hz mode down. So if your room is small a 32db(-3db) already is plenty and still will need a little bass tuning if you want it to be flat.

My "problem" that was quiet a journey to fix:D. My room is about 25m² btw.
1627670974268.png

Dgob

Keep on mind your rooms guys. I have 23hz (-3db) speakers and I had to close the bass port (with factory provided dedicated plugs) and use APO to get my +15db 42hz mode down. So if your room is small a 32db(-3db) already is plenty and still will need a little bass tuning if you want it to be flat.

My "problem" that was quiet a journey to fix:D. My room is about 25m² btw.
View attachment 144539
Not sure if the data was for me, but it really helps anyway - so thank you so much. It has helped me to make my mind up concerning my dilemma, as I think that I will definitely get all the low end performance that I need from the F208's in my listening room. I already have Cathedral sound panels, which I should be able to pull out of the loft and treat the room.

I now just need to decide if the Benchmark AHB2 is really the best amp to drive them.

Robh3606

Yes, I've heard great things about the F206's with subs. Do you think that the F208's would however work without subs?

That really is my challenge. Apart from their performance measurements, the Toppings and Benchmark have a far greater WAF than my old set-up. This largely due to their relatively diminutive sizes. That also underpins my use of the KRK Rokit 8.4 active monitors - no need for a power amp and its dreaded space invasion.

Hard to say it all depends on the room. I have a bias I like using subs because it frees up the mains and allows you additional flexibility with set-up. I was on the fence about 208 vs 206 and chose the 206 because I knew I would be using a subwoofer with them and the size difference. I don't see how you can go wrong with the 208's

Rob :)

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Small room with subs. Isnt the M106 more than enough?

Dgob

Hard to say it all depends on the room. I have a bias I like using subs because it frees up the mains and allows you additional flexibility with set-up. I was on the fence about 208 vs 206 and chose the 206 because I knew I would be using a subwoofer with them and the size difference. I don't see how you can go wrong with the 208's

Rob :)
Many thanks, the 208's it is then.

Do you (or anyone) think there will be any benefits or deficits from using the Benchmark amp with my setup and these monitors? Or would a cheaper amp prove just as good?

Dgob

Either speaker(I personally prefer towers, as to avoid dinky little speakers balancing on stands you have to spend money on), along with a pair of good subs, bass management, and eq.

Such as Rythmik, PSA, SVS, Funk. It sounds like you might be looking for music only setup, in which case sealed should work well(not better, just don't need the advantages of ported).

High fidelity(bass management, eq) 2 channel gear is extremely difficult to find, so an easy and cost effective solution for bass management and eq, along with modern day connectivity and functionality might be something like a Denon X36/3700. Will drive your benchmark with an audible transparent signal(in real life).
Regarding amps, I cannot find any information on the Denon X36/3700. To be honest, I'm not sure what it is or if it would be a positive "alternative" to the Benchmark AHB2. Any information would be appreciated (the more, the better).

Oops, did that mean the X3600 or X3700 - both of which I can find? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if the data was for me, but it really helps anyway - so thank you so much. It has helped me to make my mind up concerning my dilemma, as I think that I will definitely get all the low end performance that I need from the F208's in my listening room. I already have Cathedral sound panels, which I should be able to pull out of the loft and treat the room.

I now just need to decide if the Benchmark AHB2 is really the best amp to drive them.

In terms of audible performance, there are better amps out there than the AHB2. Look at amps that use Hypex and Purifi class D amps. Somewhere around here there is an amp comparison chart floating around that ranks them.

Bear123

In terms of audible performance, there are better amps out there than the AHB2. Look at amps that use Hypex and Purifi class D amps. Somewhere around here there is an amp comparison chart floating around that ranks them.
Based on the data, I was under the assumption that basically all the decent amps and AVR's tested on here add no audible coloration to what the speakers are playing in real life conditions as long as clean output capability is not exceeded. How would Hpex or Purify "sound" better if the amp does not alter the signal in any audible way? In other words, AHB2 or Purify or even a Denon AVR will sound exactly the same once imagination and bias are removed, and with real life conditions, if capability is not exceeded.

Bear123

Regarding amps, I cannot find any information on the Denon X36/3700. To be honest, I'm not sure what it is or if it would be a positive "alternative" to the Benchmark AHB2. Any information would be appreciated (the more, the better).

Oops, did that mean the X3600 or X3700 - both of which I can find? :rolleyes:
Yes I was talking about the Denon X3600 or X3700.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on the data, I was under the assumption that basically all the decent amps and AVR's tested on here add no audible coloration to what the speakers are playing in real life conditions as long as clean output capability is not exceeded. How would Hpex or Purify "sound" better if the amp does not alter the signal in any audible way? In other words, AHB2 or Purify or even a Denon AVR will sound exactly the same once imagination and bias are removed, and with real life conditions, if capability is not exceeded.

Pretty much agreed. The Purify and Hypex will sound better because louder sounds better, and they have several times more power. At volumes both can handle, they should be the same. That said, the Benchmark does have some really nice protection features that I'm not sure the others have.

Dgob

Pretty much agreed. The Purify and Hypex will sound better because louder sounds better, and they have several times more power. At volumes both can handle, they should be the same. That said, the Benchmark does have some really nice protection features that I'm not sure the others have.
It will be interesting to see. I have both the Revel F208s and AHB2 arriving tomorrow. Oh how will I wile away the hours!? :)

One joy will be that I can start by spending a while doing A/B tests using both the Benchmark AHB2 and my Mark Levinson 23.5 amps. Questions about the amplifiers' audible sonic differences can then be settled to my contentment.

My thinking is that (ceding your point about "louder sounds better") the Levinson offers double the power and also comes from the Harmon stable. Mine will need adjustments to reestablish its original configuration, but that shouldn't be too big a problem and still holds the potential of optimising the F208's performance. My answer promises to lie with one of those two amps, but the coming week will hopefully tell.

Any views concerning the Levinson vs Benchmark will be appreciated.

Dgob

Decided on the Benchmark AHB2, but bought two to run the Revel's in bridged mono. Excellent.

Top Bottom