• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HT / Stereo Hybrid Setup Optimization Help

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to find a way to integrate a new h/t into an "established" stereo setup. Specifically, how to use my stereo 2-channel amp, speakers and sub with a h/t receiver without having to change the connections every time i want to switch from one to the other. Should be reasonably easy since its only a 5.1 ht set up.

Quick system review
HT - stream movies from Nas to Oppo to denon 4700h (either by direct access through oppo network interface or via jriver) to TV.
Stereo - Matrix audio streamer from nas to 2-channel Schiit preamp to Rythmic sub & hypex 1200 amp connected to Salon2 speakers (power pigs).

I currently use 3 of the denon's internal amps to drive rear surround speakers and center only. I use the fl&fr speaker pre-outs to the schiit preamp which drive both the salons and sub (all outputs on the Schiit are active so i dont have to select just one and can drive a number of of different things simultaneously. The good is that In this config, all i have to do is select which input i want to use on the Schiit preamp.

Listening to stereo it functions as hoped since i get to use the higher power hypex amps and the sub.

My concerns are with the ht portion
1) There is an additional time delay between the relay from the denon out to the schiit driving the fl&fr speakers in addition to the sub as compared to the denon amps driving the other 3 speakers.
2) There are now two different volume controls and trying to get them to balance every use is something i prefer to avoid.

The denon is new and as such have not yet used the built in audyssey software (and probably many of the other features). I think it could help to correct (at least some of) my concerns. I was about to venture down that path but thought i might throw this out to the forums since i am sure there are likely a lot here that have addressed this same situation and how they resolved my identified known (and yet unknown i am confident those responding will bring up) concerns.

I know buying a new 3 channel amp for rear surround and center and just use the denon pre-outs solely would address at least one of my problem. As of now, i prefer to keep my wallet fat until i review all choices.

Thanks, in advance for any help you can provide

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sorry, dont know jeff or what you are speaking of. assuming this was not meant for me.

Top Bottom