• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to spot good used subwoofers?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m planning to take my multisub game (currently two) to the next level, as it’s the only thing i think is worth the investment at this point. but at the same time I don’t want to pay too much.

Looking at Facebook marketplace there are hundreds of subwoofers with prices as low as 20$ going around.

So can you ‘spot’ a good subwoofer? The first room mode in my room is at 45Hz, so the satellite subwoofers don’t need to extend that low.

is there some sort of hidden guide out there based on basic physics than can tell me whether my purchase is worth the price? Obviously I won’t be snatching SVS or Rythmic from the flee market.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good as in reliable (aka not broken, worn down) or good as in specs?

And are we talking about subwoofers as in just de drivers or the whole cabinet incl amp?

lets exclude the amp from the conversation, as there are an abundance of car subwoofers with no amplifiers.

but yes cabinet size and driver mostly. And if we can estimate how low a subwoofer can extend from just very basic specifications.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Just focus on the better subwoofer brands.

OWC

lets exclude the amp from the conversation, as there are an abundance of car subwoofers with no amplifiers.

but yes cabinet size and driver mostly. And if we can estimate how low a subwoofer can extend from just very basic specifications.
I have to admit that I very seldom focus on brands and products when it comes down to speakers and subwoofers.
(I almost build everything myself)

I would just focus on other peoples reviews mostly.
See if you can find disassembly pictures or something as well, to get a sense of what is going on.
In general, with 2nd hand gear, it's mostly the question if they just didn't torture it.

This is really true for subwoofers.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The problem is that some manufacturers exaggerate performance when it comes to low-end frequency extension. For example, I've seen Definitive Technology claim a low end response that independent measuremts showed to be -15db down. lol

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I just thought that there is a huge ammount of used gear on the market and that maybe i should be going on that direction instead of buying something that i might feel is obselate in few years myself.

At the same time these low end Polk and ELAC subs look very attractive as a satelite sub.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How would a decent subwoofer become obsolete in a few years? The only thing that comes to mind is if any very modern subwoofer exclusively relies on a phone app for setup.

Ultrasonic

The first room mode in my room is at 45Hz, so the satellite subwoofers don’t need to extend that low.

What frequency range are you looking to cover? Is this purely for music or movies too?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What frequency range are you looking to cover? Is this purely for music or movies too?

Like i said, Above 40Hz. It’s pointless to spend money on extra subwoofers that extend below the first mode.

as for SPL capabilities i will have 4 subwoofers in total so it doesn’t matter unless it’s really bad.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If 40 Hz is your lower bound, PA subs might also make it on your list, if you can stomach the looks, or can hide them somewhere ;)

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How would a decent subwoofer become obsolete in a few years? The only thing that comes to mind is if any very modern subwoofer exclusively relies on a phone app for setup.

If i would move into a bigger space and i would need more subs / beefier subs.

Electronics are also fallible. Specially if i were to go after low-end subs.

Additionally, my partner could just flip at any moment and pose an ultimatum onto me, me or all this audio crap, the decision will be very difficult but i will probably chose my partner.:p

Ultrasonic

Like i said, Above 40Hz. It’s pointless to spend money on extra subwoofers that extend below the first mode.

Err, no, sorry, that's just nonsense. Use EQ to compensate for the lowest mode and enjoy a full range sound.

There is no reason to let your room dictate the frequency range. If you don't want to go lower for other reasons then that's a different matter.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

If i would move into a bigger space and i would need more subs / beefier subs.

Electronics are also fallible. Specially if i were to go after low-end subs.

Additionally, my partner could just flip at any moment and pose an ultimatum onto me, me or all this audio crap, the decision will be very difficult but i will probably chose my partner.:p

OK, that's not what most would mean by obsolete :). If you buy second hand at sensible prices you shouldn't lose too much of you end up selling something on.

Ultrasonic

What? :D

I don’t get it.

I actually just edited my last post as you replied but the point is there is no reason to let your room dictate the frequency range.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually just edited my last post as you replied but the point is there is no reason to let your room dictate the frequency range.

perhaps i should have provided more info, my other subs do reach lower, I just don’t see the point of getting the extra subs to reach that low as well, as they won’t influence my frequency response below the first mode.

Top Bottom