• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to measure the response of a mic?

radix

Major Contributor
I recently assembled a microphone-parts.com mic (the S3-12). I would like to measure it's response and sensitivity. I have a UMIK-2. My plan was to set these up next to each other and record both in REW and see how the S3-12. I have some KH80&KH750 that I was planning to use, likely from the MLP where I calibrated them (about 86cm from KH80s). For the cardioid, I'd use the UMIK in the 0* position and for the fig-8 and omni, I'd using it in the 90* position.

What do you think of this plan? Or other suggestions?

My main goal for this is to see what the response looks like and decide if I should use any EQ caps in it (which they provided). My initial testing is that they are a little bright for me and I want to knock off some of the highs, but I'd like to have a good way to measure them.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Far from an expert, but I believe testing mics is about as complex as testing speakers.

I think the most practical approach would be to place a sort-of-linear speaker in front of your mics, and measure both your new microphone and a reference microphone in the same position. By comparing the two signals you should be able to calculate the response of your new mic.

One of the challenges with mic measurement is that reference microphones are almost always omni and many recording mics are cardioids or dipoles. Like with speakers, directivity is difficult to 'separate out' from the response, and one could argue much of the sound of a mic comes from directivity.

Measuring overall sensitivity is another matter but I suspect you are interested in tonality.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It seems reasonable to compare the corrected/calibrated UMIK-2 to the uncorrected response of another mic.

But in a room, a slightly different position or the directional characteristics of a cardioid or figure-8 mic will give different/unreliable results at higher frequencies.

As you may know, most studio mics aren't "flat", and most recording engineers don't seem to choose flat mics..

You'll probably find this video interesting if you haven't already seen it.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree with the above, you can get an idea by testing the new mic against a known/calibrated mic. But since the pickup patterns will be somewhat different, the exact position will never be quite exactly the same, etc... I would not put a lot of stock in small variations especially at high frequency.
My main goal for this is to see what the response looks like and decide if I should use any EQ caps in it (which they provided).
I think your proposed method is good enough for this goal.

On the other hand, you don't need an absolute reference to make this decision. Compare your vocal recordings to some references you like and see whether the mic seems too bright on that basis. "If it sounds good, it is good".

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
Compare your vocal recordings to some references you like and see whether the mic seems too bright on that basis. "If it sounds good, it is good".

Yep, that was going to be my main "calibration" but I wanted some sort of objective measurement to keep my bias in check.

As the UMIK-2 is an omni, and I can select an omni pattern on the S3-12, perhaps that would be my best test pattern.

I will, of course, also test it on various sources. As I'm not a soprano, I'll test it against guitar high notes to get up to 7k & harmonics through it, which in practical terms is the highest pitches I'd be recording.

Top Bottom