• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to create headphones EQ profile using REW

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @pkane

Why is my filter curve mirrored along the x-axis, compared with Amir's?

He is boosting the areas of interest but I'm reducing those same areas ?

View attachment 107106

You're looking at filters and not their effect on frequency. Here are these filters (cyan) and how they affect a flat frequency curve (blue):

1611067843923.png

BTW: To see the filters in their "natural" format, just uncheck the Invert Filters setting:

1611068494084.png

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Did you set measurement as "flat curve"?

Is that why i don't get a predicted, because I don't have a measurement?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You need Rephase to create EQ corrections in the form of a WAV file.

https://rephase.org/
Only if you do also phase EQ (FIR), IIR filters as most use here for headphones can be exported as WAV convolution files also directly from REW.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I might well be wrong but I think REW can be used to calculate/ set the parameters for an EQ- but not actually apply to a signal. https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew#:~:text=On the main REW screen,shown in the following screenshots.&text=In these cases, REW may generate too many filters.

@Robbo99999 will probably set me straight- or offer guidance but I think you need additional software to then put the EQ parameters into such as Equalizer APO etc see https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
Hi Jimbob, you mentioned me, I think he's got it covered now, someone helped him.....and I don't use REW for convolution so don't know how to do that. Instead, I use REW to manually create EQ Filters to EQ headphones to the Harman Curve Target (as well as for my in room speakers). The following being an example of one of my headphones:
Crinicle K702 best measurement EQ (clear bass).jpg

So I just use REW as a visualisation tool for seeing the effect of the filters I create in terms of them fitting the curve, and then I apply the filters in EqualiserAPO by exporting the filters from REW as a generic text file.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I just created a flat frequency response and loaded it into REW before applying EQ corrections.

I tried in REW - how did you create a flat frequency response?

I guess in a separate program?

Could you send me your flat FR to import (pretty please) ? :)

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor

Thanks heaps!

Now I'm cookin with gas, as Amir would say !

Now I know enough to be dangerous LOL

I can dig up measurements of my Focal Elegia and start tweaking.

1611239339417.png

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @pkane @dasdoing

I got this far for my Focal Elegia

I have the Harman target curve (as starting point) and raw measurements from AutoEQ github.

Before I tweak the target curve to my taste - is there an automated way to generate convolution filter based on just these 2 measurements?

So can REW auto generate parametric EQ base on raw measurement and target?

1611243077676.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @pkane @dasdoing

I got this far for my Focal Elegia

I have the Harman target curve (as starting point) and raw measurements from AutoEQ github.

Before I tweak the target curve to my taste - is there an automated way to generate convolution filter based on just these 2 measurements?

So can REW auto generate parametric EQ base on raw measurement and target?

View attachment 107553
Ah, you're doing what I'm doing then, see this post:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phones-eq-profile-using-rew.19501/post-642351

REW can indeed automatically create parametric filters to fit a curve, but as far as I know only to +/-1dB accuracy, which I don't think is enough resolution for a Harman Headphone Curve where the Harman Headphone Curve is already only varying in it's deviations from a centre line (to describe it's shape) by +/-5dB in the frequencies that matter from 20Hz-10kHz. So I create the filters manually in REW rather than using the automatic filter generation - which also gives you a bit more control over the process in general.

I use the created EQ filters "as is" by applying them in EqualiserAPO, so I don't use convolution, but someone already told you how to turn parametric filters in REW into convolution (here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phones-eq-profile-using-rew.19501/post-642113). But I guess your first step is creating the parametric filters which is what it looks like you're doing.

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Ok I can import a 'house curve', so that is the Harman Target Curve shown (2018).

But the 'Match response to target' on the right, is not doing anything for <200 Hz. Predicted curve doesn't change at all <200Hz

1611249461294.png

dasdoing

Major Contributor
REW is totaly capable to do it automaticly. this took me seconds. in this case you then had to add a manual low-shelf, or set the target even lower
ddd.jpg

Top Bottom