• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using EQ on the AK SP3000 for Stellia, Shure 846, 109Pro, Meze Elite

babar

Forum Donor
Hi,

This is my first post and I am very interested in going deeper into customising the sound from my new Astell Kern SP3000 for my existing headphones.
I have scoured the internet but not been able to find anything that specifically tells me what to set the equlizer settings to for these as I would like to create profiles or each of these headphones.

I did find details on some of them but the EQ settings didn't match up to the frequencies in the SP3000 which also has many more. I would love if someone can share what I should set these to for each headphone profile.

Eg. instance the Meze Elite are for me pretty dark snd if I could them close to the Harman curve that would be ideal.
thanks so much for any help, guidance or suggestions of where to look.

best. B

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
No parametric eq on this? Cause this is what you need.

OP
B

babar

Forum Donor
Thanks. Below is some more information I managed to get on the SP3000 from a review site:

The EQ interface on the SP300 has two modes: Main and Advance. In the Main you have standard Paragraphic EQ sliders for 20 bands (30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 180, 250, 380, 500, 750, 1k, 1.5k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 6k, 8k, 12k, 14k, and 18k) where you can either slide the bar or use a precise 0.1 adjustment, as well as scrolling through available frequencies. As you adjust, it gets reflected in the lower right corner, showing the overall shape of EQ. Switching to Advance, turns EQ adjustment into Semi-Parametric EQ with a full GUI view of EQ shape where underneath you have FREQ band selection (a choice of 20), Gain selection in 0.1 and 0.01 steps, and Q bandwidth. The band frequency cannot be changed.

Will this give me what I am looking for?
Also as it does not run a full Roon I can’t use convulsion filters which I don’t know how to but I understand is easier to implement. The AK SP3000 only runs Roon ARC

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Unfortunately not, because you cannot dial in the frequency. The presets may or may not be on target. Probably not.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

This is my first post and I am very interested in going deeper into customising the sound from my new Astell Kern SP3000 for my existing headphones.
I have scoured the internet but not been able to find anything that specifically tells me what to set the equlizer settings to for these as I would like to create profiles or each of these headphones.

I did find details on some of them but the EQ settings didn't match up to the frequencies in the SP3000 which also has many more. I would love if someone can share what I should set these to for each headphone profile.

Eg. instance the Meze Elite are for me pretty dark snd if I could them close to the Harman curve that would be ideal.
thanks so much for any help, guidance or suggestions of where to look.

best. B

Still don't get why you chose that DAP for EQ given the fact that Astell and Kern does not put any effort into EQ functionality and just shove that for "subtle" adjustments rendering it useless for serious EQing. I would easily trade that in for a more open Android DAP from Hiby, FiiO or Qudelix 5K where you can EQ without any limitations. Yes they also have Roon Arc and can be also configured as Roon Endpoint.

PS, my SP2000 DAP is also a Roon Endpoint and I can use full Roon DSP solution. You just need to enable the Roon Ready tick mark on your SP3000 so you can use it as Roon Endpoint and get all the EQ/Convolution filters from Roon

OP
B

babar

Forum Donor
Thanks. How do I configure room end point or chose / set the convulsion filter in room arc?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
DSP via ARC is under development.

OP
B

babar

Forum Donor
Thanks. so if I wish to use convolution filters, I have to have another device like my computer open with Roon running?
(I checked my iPhone (14pro) and am not able to find DSP settings)
Such a shame as the device does does sound much better with the convelution filters engaged in my case for the Shure 846.

And I trust the same goes for other settings.

OP
B

babar

Forum Donor
@
HIBY RS8 REVIEW
Still don't get why you chose that DAP for EQ given the fact that Astell and Kern does not put any effort into EQ functionality and just shove that for "subtle" adjustments rendering it useless for serious EQing. I would easily trade that in for a more open Android DAP from Hiby, FiiO or Qudelix 5K where you can EQ without any limitations. Yes they also have Roon Arc and can be also configured as Roon Endpoint.

PS, my SP2000 DAP is also a Roon Endpoint and I can use full Roon DSP solution. You just need to enable the Roon Ready tick mark on your SP3000 so you can use it as Roon Endpoint and get all the EQ/Convolution filters from Roon
thanks!
My headphones/iem's are the Stellia, 109 Pro and the XS Edition. I also have the Shure 846.

I am looking to get the Elite's which I love the comfort of and general aesthetics for a planar magnetic headphone (the XS Editions are too bright). I'd like to change the settings to make this less dark / enhance the high's which I'v heard makes this a great end game.

With this in mind, I am considering looking to sell the SP3000 to replace it with something that will give me more options. I checked out the HIBY RS8. I gather this would have the full EQ functionality.

1) What would you recommend looking at in the TOTL DAP space which may fit my needs?
2) Will I be able to make all the changes needed to make the Elite's work fine?

For my desktop I have a RME ADC II, a fiio R7, and a bluenode X.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RS8 lets you use the full Android OS so you can definitely install a 3rd party app from google play that lets you EQ systemwide. It should answer both your questions. You can install power amp or USB Audio Player Pro and have DAW like EQ controls

Top Bottom