• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to avoid 53 page Review threads???

nstzya

I really enjoy the reviews and some (much?) of the discussion that follows, but so many of these run so far off topic (or worse no topic - along the lines of "great review, thanks!" that could be more efficiently/effectively done thru like button) that the discussions run far too long to ever wade thru. For instance, the NAD M33 review is currently at 53 pages. I'm sure that there are some interesting points lost in there somewhere, but who has the time to wade thru 53 pages?! I'm sure this is a complex problem, but what might we do?

I really enjoy the reviews and some (much?) of the discussion that follows, but so many of these run so far off topic (or worse no topic - along the lines of "great review, thanks!" that could be more efficiently/effectively done thru like button) that the discussions run far too long to ever wade thru. For instance, the NAD M33 review is currently at 53 pages. I'm sure that there are some interesting points lost in there somewhere, but who has the time to wade thru 53 pages?! I'm sure this is a complex problem, but what might we do?
There is a little that can be done by keeping review threads on topic. Otherwise it's a dead horse that's been beaten a few times and continually pops up in various entertaining guises. I don't see perfection occurring in the threads and hope it doesn't occur because that would make it very boring and tight.

I struggle with long threads too - they contain multiple threads of conversation, one-off irrelevant posts and some true gems of information that are hidden in it.

I wonder if this forum software supports a tree-style thread view where replies to a post are bundled. What can help also is a way to "boost" certain posts like other technical forums do. Would be super helpful here on ASR and will allow us to focus on the science and ignore the trolls.

There is a little that can be done by keeping review threads on topic. Otherwise it's a dead horse that's been beaten a few times and continually pops up in various entertaining guises. I don't see perfection occurring in the threads and hope it doesn't occur because that would make it very boring and tight.
Yeah, IMHO threads should be lively and open, so people aren't afraid of sharing their thoughts, and too much pressure on saying "wise" or "true" things can be counterproductive. However, IMHO, this needs a counterpoint in the form of structured content, call it wiki call it whatever, anonymous but reliable.

I think it's a shame because a lot of very valuable content will be lost in the wilderness of threads. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's my impression. A fixed content section referencing those threads and condensing information would help to prevent that. For instance, I know someone explained why some speakers sound dark at large distances. But who? On which thread? On which page? And spread over how many posts together with other information? I also vaguely remember someone quoting this and adding some other information... but where? Can't be a wiki page for this precise topic under a more general page of speakers sound power?

One suggestion: open "owners" threads. That would hopefully take some of the content/comment load, and going off topic isn't that big of a deal. It's a pretty good way to handle non-measurement topics such as asking about how certain features work, firmware updates, the standard "is anyone else experiencing this problem?" questions, etc. Here's one for the Sabaj D5, as an example:

You don't have to open an owners thread for every device that's reviewed, but it would make sense for the more popular ones. (e.g., Topping L30/E30.)

Not a perfect solution but it could help.

Last edited:
At a high level, I only read the entire thread when it's a product I'm actually considering buying (where the details and gems hidden within lengthy threads potentially matter). Otherwise I read the review and don't dive into the thread because there would be no point.

I do enjoy the free-flowing exchange of ideas though and wouldn't want to squelch that.

We just have to hope the signal vs noise is high (and it usually is around here IMO).

Tags within a post, not the entire thread, would also help. For instance, "technical issue" or "question", so one could search a product and the topic of interest: RME + firmware for example. Content is meaningless if you can't find it in a reasonable time, this is know from ancient times.

I also have an idea: Have an off topic button that lists the number of readers thought the post was tangential or not related to the topic of the post. No usernames just a number that one can click only once per post. So Likes, jerryg, Want2b, amirm, and 3 others, Off Topic Post 12

Its a problem of Forums. If you want only the knowledge within, you need to have a wiki.

Which, btw, would be awesome around here. Imagine all the good infos about the MiniDSP Flex in one structured page instead of 50 or 60 pages.

All you have to do is look at those threads and you will see a common theme.
Mostly the same people who take them down the rat hole for no other reason than to argue minutiea or prove their brilliance.

We have put some rules in place where clear diversions for more than a few posts is not allowed. I think this has improved things but clearly far from having directly applicable posts in review threads.

Since start of ASR, we have strived for openness than strictness. That has benefits but also down sides as OP mentions. The only solution that I can think of is what Rick said above.

the NAD M33 review is currently at 53 pages.
Yes they can get long, however generally most items of note are in the first few pages. If you find a certain technical post by a member that interests you, use the search within the thread function for their posts only to see what else may have been referred to. This can help reduce large threads to a more manageable approach.

JSmith

Couldn't mods move posts up the thread? So important points congregate at the start and the waffle drones on at the end?

I was recently looking at trying an RME ADI, what with the recent variants etc I went into the thread on here and, as someone merely looking for info, it was an absolute nightmare to decipher. I gave up (but then came Flex, so all good).

EDIT: Or some kind of MASSIVE STAR or FLAG to assist skimming through?

I'm sure that there are some interesting points lost in there somewhere, but who has the time to wade thru 53 pages?! I'm sure this is a complex problem, but what might we do?

There's certainly a way to fix (partly) this point : a button at the top of the thread to class posts by order of "Likes"
There will certainly be some good jokes, but also the most interesting posts coming first, even if some may have been missed.
Now, I don't know if @amirm has this option on the forum

Couldn't mods move posts up the thread? So important points congregate at the start and the waffle drones on at the end?
Forum System auto arranges posts by date/time stamp. No method exists to defeat that arrangement at present.

Forum System auto arranges posts by date/time stamp. No method exists to defeat that arrangement at present.
How many mods are there? How much do Deloreans cost? Anyone got any uranium?

In that case, what about a locked review thread + a separate 'conversation' thread both referencing each other? Key points from the conversation thread copied over to the locked thread as and when made

EDIT: Let's face it, more and more people are seeing the light and membership is going to continue to grow rapidly. Which is obviously great, but once you add a few busloads of trumpets like me asking idiot questions these thread issues are going to get even worse. There definitely needs to be a reference section that's separate from the trumpets asking idiot questions section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom