• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much of an upgrade would Revel F228 Be speakers be over PSB Synchrony Ones?

DrJayDub

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice from all of you more knowledgeable folks here. I am seriously considering selling off my old PSB Synchrony Ones and purchase some Revel Performa 228be speakers. I have not heard the Revels in person, and with the pandemic I am not likely to very soon. I would be buying a lightly used pair of the Revels and having them shipped.
I am not currently using subwoofers, I put the priority on music ( of just about all kinds) but these will also be used in a 5 channel set up for movies. I have a large, open main area with vaulted ceilings with the A/V set up on one side.

Looking for opinions/advice if the f228be will be a significant upgrade in terms of soundstage, imaging, and bass than the PSB’s.

Revorg

You are in the zone of diminishing returns. In a review of my speakers, now old (the PSB Platinum T6) the reviewer compared them to another more expensive speaker and commented that speakers this good don't get smoked by other speakers. The PSB Synchrony One is very neutral and accurate and has good but not exceptional bass extension. The Revel is also a neutral accurate speaker with slightly better extension. Will they sound the same... probably not, but not sure which you would prefer. For free I would choose the Revel, but to pay the additional cost, I'd want to audition.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are probably looking at $6-7k in expenditure for the Revels, even used. I would at the very least want to be certain I had enough amp to do them justice. And if you are looking to spend that kind of money, you should at least consider and, hopefully, audition either the D & D 8c studios (which are $10k, but need no external amplification, so you could sell yours), and/or the Genelec 8351a's which also are active. Personally, I'd audition all three, consider what I could get for the PSB's and possibly the rest of my gear, and go from there.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice from all of you more knowledgeable folks here. I am seriously considering selling off my old PSB Synchrony Ones and purchase some Revel Performa 228be speakers. I have not heard the Revels in person, and with the pandemic I am not likely to very soon. I would be buying a lightly used pair of the Revels and having them shipped.
I am not currently using subwoofers, I put the priority on music ( of just about all kinds) but these will also be used in a 5 channel set up for movies. I have a large, open main area with vaulted ceilings with the A/V set up on one side.

Looking for opinions/advice if the f228be will be a significant upgrade in terms of soundstage, imaging, and bass than the PSB’s.
Very old thread, but looks like you are still member. So, what did you end up doing?

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
@DrJayDub - Thanks for reply.

Similar to what you were doing a few years ago, I'm looking to upgrade my Synchrony One Towers. Glad to hear that you're happy with the 228Be, as it's one of the speakers I'm trying to arrange for in-home audition. Your input gives me a degree of confidence that I am on right track for upgrade speakers.

Really curious to see how a former Stereophile Class A speaker will hold up against the 228.

Thanks again.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@DrJayDub - Thanks for reply.

Similar to what you were doing a few years ago, I'm looking to upgrade my Synchrony One Towers. Glad to hear that you're happy with the 228Be, as it's one of the speakers I'm trying to arrange for in-home audition. Your input gives me a degree of confidence that I am on right track for upgrade speakers.

Really curious to see how a former Stereophile Class A speaker will hold up against the 228.

Thanks again.
Based on the measurements I've seen of the Synchrony One Towers, I wouldn't expect you to be blown away by the Revel's. They're both neutrally voiced speakers that make use of the Harman research.

al2002

I bought a pair of used Revel F228 Be’s. I have been very happy with my choice
Can you comment on the differences in sound quality, between the synchrony one and the 228? Based on the measurements in stereophile magazine I would not expect major differences, but your comments would be appreciated.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Based on the measurements I've seen of the Synchrony One Towers, I wouldn't expect you to be blown away by the Revel's. They're both neutrally voiced speakers that make use of the Harman research.

All true, and I am a big proponent of measurements, but they don't tell the entire story with speakers because of room interaction - even when using DSP. There's just so much DSP can do.

I think the One's sound very good but for me they are also lacking in some ways, particuarly in upper frequency, where I feel there is something missing.
Don't get me wrong, the upper frequency is still very good but ....

On other hand, the PSB's mid range is some of the best and clearest I've heard regardless of price, and there is practically no distortion to be heard even at obscene levels, so that's where I expect the smallest amount of difference. Also, the PSB'S Bass is surprisingly good (and DSP does a great job with that, and to lesser extent room treatments), but the One's 3 back bass ports are not ideal for speaker placement in my room. The bass is perfect example of where the measurements don't tell the story at all because of the room interaction. I get much more than the measurements say I should get..

The 228's front port might do much better in my room (at least that's what I'd hope for if I purchased these speakers).

Having said all that, I'm looking for the 228's to provide (hopefully improve a bit) the midrange clarity, provide a bit more resolution to the high frequencies, and allow me to clean up the bass somewhat.

If the Revel can provide all that, it will be a very worthy upgrade.

Only way to tell is to listen to the Revels and see how they do in my room.

Top Bottom