• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much have digital amplifiers improved in 8 years?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can find a full review at Stereophile, by Fremer of all people!
Thanks for that. Has to be the best review from Mr Analog I've ever read. The Sharp was (is?) the amp for someone who has a six figure checking account, likes cutting edge high tech with style, and doesn't care about the nameplate on the front... the guy who looks out his living room window and sees a Volkswagen W12 4Motion Phaeton in his driveway.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
At the time Sharp was known in the US (and still is) as a maker of microwave ovens, and other small appliances you'd find in a big box store. Earlier, in the '70s or so, they had a mid-level range of hi-fi gear, marketed under the Optonica name. I don't think there was much of anything to distinguish Optonica from any of the other more well-known Japanese makers. It was just 'there' on the dealer's shelf, taking space, and if it sold before Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, et al it was no doubt because of a heady discount.

The idea of a digital ready Class D integrated amp that looked like something George Jetson might own, especially one selling for fifteen large, was something few consumers could relate to. It was simply one of those occasional 'scratch your head' sort of things you sometimes come across in life.

I know they made some audio stuff, "walkmans", portable radio cassette players and what, in the UK at least, we called midi systems; this sort of thing:

iu

But I don't remember ever seeing anything I'd call Hi-Fi.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know they made some audio stuff, "walkmans", portable radio cassette players and what, in the UK at least, we called midi systems; this sort of thing: But I don't remember ever seeing anything I'd call Hi-Fi.
Below is a pic of the only Sharp/Optonica product I recall that ever looked interesting to me, from back in the day. Denon and Kenwood/Trio sold similar items. Stone base to add mass in order to damp resonances. At least that was what was claimed. A lot of the DD from that era were pretty flimsy in the base/plinth department.

rp3636.jpg

Top Bottom