• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is your dream DAC like?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems people are consistently talking about devices that manage networked coordination of DSP functions which really isn't at the heart of what a DAC does so shouldn't this be a thread about what does your dream DSP integration/connectivity management device look like? A DAC does only two things, converts digital signals and then spits out an analogue stream. Everything else is the job of another device(s).
And I think that needs to change. Is there any need to have a DAC chip sat all lonely in a big box by itself hogging a power socket and desk space?

shal

It seems people are consistently talking about devices that manage networked coordination of DSP functions which really isn't at the heart of what a DAC does so shouldn't this be a thread about what does your dream DSP integration/connectivity management device look like? A DAC does only two things, converts digital signals and then spits out an analogue stream. Everything else is the job of another device(s).

Yes pretty Ok with you.

I don't want to much functionality like EQ. Why? because there is a temptation to want to try another configuration each days . No I want listen music no configure my system ;) In this way , I don't want sub (there is a nerver ending configuration to do).

But the volume control (necessary even in minimalism configuration) is in right place in a DAC/preamp (constructor can choose a strategy with numeric/analog combination for have a very good volume control).

dfuller

Major Contributor
Dream DAC? An 8 channel ADI-2 Pro. So basically an ADI-8 QS (but better) and an HDSPe MADI card.

BillG

Major Contributor
Alot of you seem to be after networked media players or Digital Signal Processors with integrated DAC functionality, as opposed to pure digital to analog conversion. That's cool, but it ain't a DAC in the traditional sense... :rolleyes:

OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

Alot of you seem to be after networked media players or Digital Signal Processors with integrated DAC functionality, as opposed to pure digital to analog conversion. That's cool, but it ain't a DAC in the traditional sense... :rolleyes:
I also think there’s no need to talk about streaming capability... Raspberry Pi is far more versatile as these services can end or change in the future but I’m not really prepared to change my DAC that frequently.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I also think there’s no need to talk about streaming capability... Raspberry Pi is far more versatile as these services can end or change in the future but I’m not really prepared to change my DAC that frequently.
Yes, if the streaming services are baked into a device and can't be updated that is eventually going to be an issue so depending on how long you expect gear to be active in your system, always a good point to consider.

I personally am very happy with using a solid retired Dell professional workstation as my dedicated music server. It is stable, quite quiet and it runs JRiver, Windows app and any web interfaces perfectly. With a dedicated DAC and drivers I am quite confident in the sound quality that I get with a well behaved Windows 10 based system. Never a hiccup and it sounds fantastic all of the time so if I am missing anything with no Linux or Mac OS I certainly couldn't hear the differences, they must be measurable as opposed to audible.

OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

Yes, if the streaming services are baked into a device and can't be updated that is eventually going to be an issue so depending on how long you expect gear to be active in your system, always a good point to consider.

I personally am very happy with using a solid retired Dell professional workstation as my dedicated music server. It is stable, quite quiet and it runs JRiver, Windows app and any web interfaces perfectly. With a dedicated DAC and drivers I am quite confident in the sound quality that I get with a well behaved Windows 10 based system. Never a hiccup and it sounds fantastic all of the time so if I am missing anything with no Linux or Mac OS I certainly couldn't hear the differences, they must be measurable as opposed to audible.
I also use a retired PC as source of music as well as HTPC for movies but I soon found out power consumption is some issue. For a Raspberry Pi I could have it on 24hr/day without feeling guilty but my PC was a gaming PC 10 years ago which means...100W+ when standby. After a year or two the extra cost of electricity would justify buying a NUC PC which would take less space too. So I think a NUC PC is likely the ultimate way to go - room correction, EQ, any streaming service, any decodec package as you wish, unlimited upgrading possibility - all in one, with low power consumption.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I also use a retired PC as source of music as well as HTPC for movies but I soon found out power consumption is some issue. For a Raspberry Pi I could have it on 24hr/day without feeling guilty but my PC was a gaming PC 10 years ago which means...100W+ when standby. After a year or two the extra cost of electricity would justify buying a NUC PC which would take less space too. So I think a NUC PC is likely the ultimate way to go - room correction, EQ, any streaming service, any decodec package as you wish, unlimited upgrading possibility - all in one.
Maybe, I certainly would like to build a 100% purpose AVR computer and what OS it was based on wouldn't matter. I have read only a little about a NUC PC so it seems I have further reading to do.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

And I think that needs to change. Is there any need to have a DAC chip sat all lonely in a big box by itself hogging a power socket and desk space?
We could call that anything, DAC, preamp, processor. Basically all the same thing, but the core function is still D A converting, so I think DAC isnt an inappropriate name for this "the thing that feeds your amp"

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We could call that anything, DAC, preamp, processor. Basically all the same thing, but the core function is still D A converting, so I think DAC isnt an inappropriate name for this "the thing that feeds your amp"

My point exactly. And my dream DAC in the "box that only contains a DAC chip plus outputs" sense is one that doesnt exist. Its either built into my amp (for pure D/A conversion) or a standalone box of tricks including EQ, streaming etc etc. If we can get a transaparent DAC and 3.5mm headphone output in a fingernail sized unit, why cant the D/A duties be done inside the amp box for everything ? It already is for very good headamps (DX7 pro etc) and AVRs (which we know dont measure well, but I believe that is due to the complexity of processing, multichannel etc)

OP
LaLaLard

LaLaLard

My point exactly. And my dream DAC in the "box that only contains a DAC chip plus outputs" sense is one that doesnt exist. Its either built into my amp (for pure D/A conversion) or a standalone box of tricks including EQ, streaming etc etc. If we can get a transaparent DAC and 3.5mm headphone output in a fingernail sized unit, why cant the D/A duties be done inside the amp box for everything ? It already is for very good headamps (DX7 pro etc) and AVRs (which we know dont measure well, but I believe that is due to the complexity of processing, multichannel etc)
AVRs would sell in bigger volume than Hifi DACs and vast majority of the customers don't care how many zeros after the decimal points, or they couldn't tell. Considering one could make millions $ more by just cutting corners in something unnoticeable to most people, plus the bad insulation and complicated circuit, I was actually quite amazed when I see recent good reviews on AVR such as Denon X3600H.
But yeah, those companies could probably just buy Apple dongles in bulk and stuff them into the AVR boxes and it suddenly becomes the top performer in the whole range.
Hilarious indeed.

jhm

Forum Donor
I'd want my Dream DAC (i.e. each unit manufactured) to have been certified by an independent laboratory as meeting stringent measurement criteria for the DAC. In other words, sort of similar to what happens for fine Swiss watches - https://www.cosc.swiss/en

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My dream DAC is built into my phone with a headphone jack that has the measured SINAD output of an ATOM stack.

3125b

Major Contributor
In output power also? That would make for one large phone.

Top Bottom