• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How good are older Denon receivers?

goldark

Forum Donor
Seems like Denon receivers generally get pretty good reviews here compared to other AVR's.

I have a few older Denons, including the X4000 and X1000 - does anyone know how good the objective measurements of these older Denons would be? Are Denon's relatively good measurements more of a recent phenomenon (even partially due to the reviews here) or has its engineering always been able to produce good results?

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Seems like Denon receivers generally get pretty good reviews here compared to other AVR's.

I have a few older Denons, including the X4000 and X1000 - does anyone know how good the objective measurements of these older Denons would be? Are Denon's relatively good measurements more of a recent phenomenon (even partially due to the reviews here) or has its engineering always been able to produce good results?

I don't know the measurements of your particular Denon's, but I do know that Denon always has been a respectable brand with solid measurements and solid build qualities.

EDIT: Relative to the price of course.

Last edited:
If anything, I've read a number of subjective opinions that sound quality has gotten worse on Denons in recent years. Mostly because of Atmos needing so many amps. But of course those opinions are highly subjective and flawed due to the weakness of human memory.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are decently made. Some years the menu was horrid. They'll most likely meet spec. Spec isn't all that high in some regards for them. Not bad, but likely not near the upper levels of performance.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, I have a Denon AVR-X5200 and I wonder how well it's SINAD and decoding of Blu-ray Dolby TrueHD/Atmos audio tracks compares to the AVR-X3600 and other newer Denon models. One thing I've noticed with my 5200, when watching movies with the subtitles in use, is that when I see subtitles of peripheral or distant dialog in a scene, I do not actually hear that dialog.

Maybe I don't have the audio turned up high enough, but I wonder if the newer Denon AVRs with newer/better decoders will do a better job of making that dialog audible.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just bought an old 2310 myself on the weekend, for duty for driving home made active speaker conversions as a second system via the pre-ins and four of the amp channels. I may get around to trying to measure some performance measures. I only have a single 8 ohm test load though but it will be indicative.

lovemusic

The 3313ci is still going strong. I decided to do upgrade to separates, but if it were a receiver Denon would be my choice.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of what's mentioned I'd consider the newer range, not older. I think of flagships like the 5308 when I think of a different era for Denon.

Top Bottom