• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How does room EQ affect noise and distortion?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are starting to get a nice sampling of AVRs and Processors. SINAD measurements range from 53-103. All measurements are done in direct mode. The AVRs/Processors will almost always be used with some sort of room EQ engaged. Couple of basic questions:
-What affect does running Audyssey or Dirac for example have on noise/distortion?
-Would it vary depending on the amount of boosts/cuts applied by the eq system?
-Is it possible to measure SINAD with room eq engaged and if so would these measurements be meaningful?

It seems like an important question. For example if using eq degrades SINAD by 10, there could be some advantages for having a higher SINAD device to allow for the effects of using automated eq.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Boosts and cuts will impact the level of noise and distortion but it depends upon how much boost and cut, what frequencies, etc. It could help or hurt noise and/or distortion. Since the amounts depend upon the room and system I don't think a comparison would be meaningful. And note all the correction is done in the digital domain so unless they mess up and do something really dumb in the processing the correction itself is benign until it hits something in the analog chain.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My practical experience with manipulating digits in a Behringer DEQ2496 and a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI is that no audible degradations are noticed.

I could measure and post, but the measurements I have taken in the normal course of my activities with and without DRC active have shown no anomalous or otherwise deleterious behavior.

I don't remember any threads here where someone posts that their DRC is noisy or causes distortion. Maybe some have disappointing results for other reasons.

OP
D

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks both for your reply. I have always been curious if it has any affect if so how much. Sounds like not much of a concern.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
An old measurement of distortion from the speakers

Red - no DRC
Black - with DRC

1597421199922.png

Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree with Ray. I have used a Behringer DEQ2496 for some fourteen years and was often told on other forums that equalisers generally, and in one case the Behringer specifically, were noisy but I have never heard this myself nor have I seen any relevant measurements. It's possible some of those people were referring to analogue equalisers of old and not today's digital models.

The effect of using EQ is such an improvement that if there was any noise it has so far been hidden.

How would one measure SINAD in a normal domestic listening set up?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Here's a preamp output of distortion.

Red - no DRC
Black - DRC for JBL speakers
Green - DRC for MArtin Logan speakers

Three years ago, so using a noisy cable across the room to the PC 's ADC

But, the point is there wasn't a lot of difference between no DSP and two different settings with DSP

1597430646168.png

Top Bottom