• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Audyssey XT32 normalise gains?

CapMan

Major Contributor
Would anybody happen to know if XT32 normalises gains to avoid applying EQ filters which boost. In other words does it drop the whole level down so the hightest boost is effectively at 0dB.

I ask because the filters being applied to my mains (as reported in 'check results' on the Audyssey menu of the AVR) have some significant boosts of more than 6dB around 120 - 200Hz. I have a suck out in the room at this frequency which Audyssey seems to be filling in.

When I used to do the EQ manually with REW I used my dual subs, XOd at 120Hz to partially fill in that suck out.

I am only using small sealed Bookshelf speakers and don't want to overdrive them

Any thoughts welcome.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would anybody happen to know if XT32 normalises gains to avoid applying EQ filters which boost. In other words does it drop the whole level down so the hightest boost is effectively at 0dB.

I ask because the filters being applied to my mains (as reported in 'check results' on the Audyssey menu of the AVR) have some significant boosts of more than 6dB around 120 - 200Hz. I have a suck out in the room at this frequency which Audyssey seems to be filling in.

When I used to do the EQ manually with REW I used my dual subs, XOd at 120Hz to partially fill in that suck out.

I am only using small sealed Bookshelf speakers and don't want to overdrive them

Any thoughts welcome.

In some cases it would apply boost, up to a point but I forgot what the limit is, probably around 6 dB max, going by memory (vaguely). It wouldn't boost much, if at all, if it knows it is not going to work. Like Dirac Live, it leverage cuts, not boost.

Top Bottom