• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you sort (organise) your CDs, LPs, K7s, Tapes; physical medias

Analog (physical) media: Grouped by genres ordered by similarity, genres ordered by artist name
Digital (FLAC/MP3/etc): Ordered by artist then album.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You were a teenager during the Vinyl, K7 and CD era and you haven't kept any ?
Congrats.
Sold it all when I downsized. I had around 2000 vinyl disks, 1500 CDs. 150 SACDs, 1200 DVD and Blue Ray disks, 500 vhs tapes, a couple thousand books. I ripped all the DVDs, CDs, and hardly use them because of the streaming services. Books are easy to find in electronic form. I never want for something to listen to, read, or watch, and I don't miss warehousing and curating all that shite.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As long as I pay my bill, it almost never is. If it is, I just go out and have cocktails and dinner.
OK, your call.
I prefer the words of the old gospel song, God Bless The Child

"Them that’s got shall get
Them that’s not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that’s got his own
That’s got his own"

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, your call.
I prefer the words of the old gospel song, God Bless The Child

"Them that’s got shall get
Them that’s not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that’s got his own
That’s got his own"
For the same reason I don't take my electricty from a generator in my backyard, I also don't take my music from record collection in my back room.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me it's alphabetical for artist/band
Then chronological for their releases within the artist/band.

I used to have pop/rock, jazz, classical, new age, etc categories and it got too hard with crossover albums, collaborations etc.

Classical is hard. Generally alphabetical of the composer and title of the main headline piece on the disc.

As for putting them back in the same place, I just take out the disc and put the one before it either on a 45 degree angle as a placemarker, or pull the one before it out a little. Makes it easy late at night. But that doesn't mean I still don't end up with several piles to refile after a big listening session...

I follow this too.

I have two genres, classical and pop.

The alphabetical order is of course by surname or band name ignoring 'The'. Iain Matthews is filed under 'Matthews. Iain'. His bands, say 'Matthews Southern Comfort' or 'Plainsong' are filed under 'M' and 'P'.

Apart from that I rely on my knowledge of my music if I want to listen to a particular genre or style.

I also make compilation CDs and file them separately from the commercial CDs as I play them the most. These compilations could be of one singer - Iain Matthews and all his bands - or of a kind of genre - say light, medium or heavy songs, or nostalgia, pure pop, songs with pedal steel, prog etc.. These are fun to do.

If you make it too complicated you can't find anything.

When using computers as a source of music you have to be careful with the filing system. For example, 'Iain Matthews' needs to be 'Matthews, Iain' to keep the alphabetical order ('The Rolling Stones' becomes 'Rolling Stones').

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When using computers as a source of music you have to be careful with the filing system. For example, 'Iain Matthews' needs to be 'Matthews, Iain' to keep the alphabetical order ('The Rolling Stones' becomes 'Rolling Stones').
That's really a personal decision but in popular music the filing is usually done on first name first. You wouldn't file Jethro Tull under Tull, Jethro, but you could if you prefer.
Most servers I'm aware of will strip "The" out of a group name and will list the Stones under Rolling., Some get confused. Like me.
LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For the same reason I don't take my electricty from a generator in my backyard, I also don't take my music from record collection in my back room.
Up to you, but I'd find having only streaming content too restricting. You usually don't have much choice on the mastering options you have on recording X when there may have been 5, 6, or more over the years. Then you either need a CD or a copy of that CD on the harddrive to get the one you really want. I only keep multich discs here any more, they get more valuable every year. I get rid of 2ch CD's after I rip them now.

tgray

All mine (CDs) are in boxes in a closet. Don't think I've listened to an actual CD since about 2013, and only then, in the car.

OP
Harmonie

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't play my CD's in a car.
I'd rather copy them and then spin it there.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Don't think I've listened to an actual CD since about 2013, and only then, in the car.
I thought I was the only one around here to have a car old enough to have a CD player in it. :p

Robin L

Master Contributor
I thought I was the only one around here to have a car old enough to have a CD player in it. :p
Me too, got a 2007 Prius with a 6 CD changer. Currently 50% Bach, 50% Rachmaninov.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine's pretty boring. I have mostly CDs, and I have a small collection - just over 500. I have them filed alphabetically by artist, chronologically within artist, on a couple of Ikea shallow shelving units. The entire thing takes up barely 2 square feet of floor space, so the storage-space issue is moot for me.

For the small number of LPs, larger CD box sets, Blu-Ray Audio discs and so on, I have a double-wide component cabinet but only need one side for my components, so I store those larger and odd-sized media in the other side.

I also have every CD, SACD, DVD-A, and Blu-Ray Audio disc I own digitized, FLAC+CUE+logfile for everything except the SACDs which are ripped to ISO+CUE. Last summer I went through all the rips and pulled cover art off the internet for any that didn't already have them. I store the all the archived rips on a 1TB SSD in my home file server, and I have two external disc backups, located/hidden in other parts of the house. One day I'll invest in a large-capacity cloud backup, or find a place to store a disc-drive backup off-site.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Today's sort of around 1000 CDs/SACDs/DVDs/DVD-A/Blu Ray etc.:
1. Things where there's no spine to read, some burnt CDs, some promos with skinny packaging. 2 CD Jewelcase cardboard packs, Memorex used to sell them that way.
2. Stuff I don't want anymore, no matter what. Two moderate [18 x 14 x 14 or so] boxes, one full, one almost.
3. Stuff I like I know I've already ripped, 2 moderate boxes, full, plus 3 Jewelcase cardboard packs.
4. Stuff I'm not sure if ripped or not, plus Hi-Rez [SACD/DVD-A] and all my DVDs/Blu-Rays, on a display rack I got from Borders about 15 years ago,
1, 2, 3 are in a closet in a corner, in a tight little stack. Makes it easier to whittle out all those CDs with question marks hanging over them. Time to get a biggish backup drive of some sort.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom