• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you rate a preamp?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you like the looks of the Outlaw RR2160 mkII? It has a processor loop and pre-out/main-in loop that can accommodate a MiniDSP 2x4 HD. Then subs can be added with either the MiniDSP or receiver doing the crossover.

OP
A

alaios

Sure, if aesthetics prevails then you won't find good DSP devices that have a silver retro look.
In this case, if you still want DSP, a Flex would be a waste of money. Instead a 2x4HD/DDRC24 that you can place somewhere hidden is a better option and will achieve its purpose between an existing preamp and power amp.
thanks a lot for the reply. Actually it is much better that I might sound. Both leaks look great for my living room, the minidsp and the final amplifier will be hidden in a special furniture ;) where also the cables are hidden.

The question is more if we can found a minidsp that goes after the pre-amp and is not redundant

OP
A

alaios

Connecting MiniDSP by pre out then on to power amp and subwoofers ?
Wouldn't adding a MiniDSP and power amp sort of defeat the aesthetics? and volume control would need to be through the MiniDSP since pre outs are fixed volume and can't be controlled by the Leak , so MiniDSP would need to be line of sight if by remote control.
no I will put them inside the special designed furniture to hide equipment and cables.
I can have visible the leak 130 or 230 and the leak CDT that also wife and kids can use. My understanding is that the volume control of leak 130 or leak 230 will be enough to feed the mini dsp and the final amplifier. Or I am doing something wrong here. I am open for feedback

TurtlePaul

My understanding is that the volume control of leak 130 or leak 230 will be enough to feed the mini dsp and the final amplifier. Or I am doing something wrong here. I am open for feedback
I don’t think you are doing anything wrong other than it being slightly comical to have a full amp stack (and not cheap) in sight basically unused while the “real” electronics are hidden elsewhere.

One slight audible concern is that the Leak will still try to drive its speaker outputs at full voltage so sometimes the pre-out can increase in distortion because the unused amp section is actually being driven to clipping. It should be possible to avoid this.

OP
A

alaios

I don’t think you are doing anything wrong other than it being slightly comical to have a full amp stack (and not cheap) in sight basically unused while the “real” electronics are hidden elsewhere.

One slight audible concern is that the Leak will still try to drive its speaker outputs at full voltage so sometimes the pre-out can increase in distortion because the unused amp section is actually being driven to clipping. It should be possible to avoid this.
how I should be able to avoid this

OP
A

alaios

Make sure to set the volume of the MiniDSP and the real amp so your normal listening levels are well below the max volume on the Leak amp’s volume dial.
okay that means that my leak's dial should never go over 50%. That also means that the minidsp does some aplification, so it works as second amplification unit

OP
A

alaios

Is not there a type of minidsp unit that is not preamp?

TurtlePaul

okay that means that my leak's dial should never go over 50%. That also means that the minidsp does some aplification, so it works as second amplification unit
I would just make sure the power amp has high gain (> 25 dB) rather than using the MiniDSP as a gain stage.

The point is to have the pre-amp running below 1.5 V. Volume controls aren’t linear, so at “50%” the voltage of that 2.3 V output will be ~0.1 V.

OP
A

alaios

I do not want to use the dsp as preamp just for doing the dsp parts and yes I would buy a strong amp to run my speakers

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Is not there a type of minidsp unit that is not preamp?
2x4hd as this is a device without screen and volume knob that you hide somewhere.

OP
A

alaios

Thanks a lot vicenzo,
so I do do sources--go to-->integrated inputs---> I take pre-out and I feed it in to the --->mini dsp 2x4hd--> I take four outputs, 2 main speakers and 2 subs--> The 2 subs are active nothing more is needed -->the 2 mains speakers go in the external amplifier.

1. Is that correct?
2. Is not the integrated premp volume dial that does the volume control?
3. Any problems that I might face with the amplifier not being utilized of the integrated?

(Some of the above I have asked again and apologies to all that replied, it is more that I am trying to build understanding and confidence)

Graham849

Forum Donor
I think the preamp outputs from the amp are fixed. The volume control is only for the headphone and speaker outputs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the preamp outputs from the amp are fixed. The volume control is only for the headphone and speaker outputs.
Preamp out should be for using a separate power amp, so Leak dial should vary the voltage out of pre out. Its not a pass thru.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Just a test with a DMM,it doesn't go simpler than that.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a test with a DMM,it doesn't go simpler than that.
Sadly, I dont believe OP actually has the Leak to test....

OP
A

alaios

I can get the device and test it though ;) what is a DMM?

MAB

Major Contributor
There is an owner's manual.

It explicitly states that the outputs are for use as a preamp:
1704727436729.png

Top Bottom