• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you find new music? - asking for a dinosaur friend...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Pandora Radio (in "surprise me" mode) - AFAIK available only in US
NPR All Songs Considered
NPR Tiny Desk
YouTube (actually lot of discoveries, besides funny video of cats)
Bandcamp
NPR on Youtube is a must if you like music. Apart from that I'd check out the more popular review sites such as Pitchfork or Anthony Fantano's (theneedledrop on Youtube) reviews.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

pjn

I rather like the Qobuz "My Weekly Q". I have absolutely no idea what the algorithm is, but I have found quite a bit of new music through it - and some stuff where I think "why on earth did they pick this for me?".

Praefectus

Qobuz's My Weekly Q and of course the most powerful one... roon's suggestions.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

eyedrop

Forum Donor
I never got along with streaming. Too many weird omissions, crappy sounding remasters, jarring transitions between songs etc... I listen to full albums and have been collecting lossless files since 2006.

I find a lot of my favorite artists have great "associated acts" and sub genres, which can be found via wikipedia, discogs, live concerts, etc.. Soulseek is also a great way to find music as it allows you to browse the contents of another user's music collection that may have similar tastes

CBM

I use a Spotify free account and Discovery Weekly playlist for new music. I actually play them on Tidal. Discovery Weekly gives me 20-30 really good recommendations based on my listening preferences and it gets better as time goes by. I use a free version of Soundiiz to move playlists to Tidal from Spotify. After I get a few songs in my Tidal playlist, I use Soundiiz to copy them back to Spotify because you have to play them in Spotify so it knows what you like. Of course, if you listen only on Spotify, you're all set.

eyedrop

Forum Donor
Which services have you used?
Our family subscribes to Apple Music and Qobuz, and I am a former Tidal subscriber.

There actually was a time in my life when I was mostly on-the-go and streaming exclusively, using Tidal and bluetooth headphones, for the sheer convenience of it all.

I eventually started critically listening to my files again and let the Tidal subscription expire... There are some albums I remember enjoying and saving to my Tidal favorites that I unfortunately never ended up purchasing and adding to my files.. I wish I could view that favorites list without having to pay again.

Apple seems to have the largest library. The family uses it, and its convenient for listening in the car etc... But for the more serious listening sessions, I break out the hard drive which has all of my preferred releases / versions.

I just logged back into Qobuz (first time in over a year) and it looks like they have added a lot of content. I remember they were missing most of Rammstein, 2 Live Crew, etc..

Last edited:

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I find a lot of new music by reading. NYT, New Yorker, NPR website, Abumism website, Pitchfork. Not all of it is good but a lot of it is. That's what's good about Qobuz etc.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Our family subscribes to Apple Music and Qobuz, and I am a former Tidal subscriber.

There actually was a time in my life when I was mostly on-the-go and streaming exclusively, using Tidal and bluetooth headphones, for the sheer convenience of it all.

I eventually started critically listening to my files again and let the Tidal subscription expire... There are some albums I remember enjoying and saving to my Tidal favorites that I unfortunately never ended up purchasing and adding to my files.. I wish I could view that favorites list without having to pay again.

Apple seems to have the largest library. The family uses it, and its convenient for listening in the car etc... But for the more serious listening sessions, I break out the hard drive which has all of my preferred releases / versions.

I just logged back into Qobuz (first time in over a year) and it looks like they have added a lot of content. I remember they were missing most of Rammstein, 2 Live Crew, etc..

Yes, you can't rely on streaming services to have or maintain particular releases and versions, unfortunately. Even cover art, I recall the appearance of both versions of Grimes' Athropocene suddenly changing a while back. Turned out she was able to use some new cover art she liked. Which is fine, but I also liked the old art, which disappeared. I guess I can trawl the web for it. If only I'd bought the vinyl. ;)

SKBubba

Your streaming service should be recommending new and old music you might like. If it isn't, change to another streaming service.

Also, last.fm, allmusic, pitchfork, and even roon are good sources.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just logged back into Qobuz (first time in over a year) and it looks like they have added a lot of content. I remember they were missing most of Rammstein
Egregious for a band that sells out stadiums, especially since most of their discography goes back 20+ years and only this year did they put out something new. It's not like no one's ever heard of them.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Egregious for a band that sells out stadiums, especially since most of their discography goes back 20+ years and only this year did they put out something new. It's not like no one's ever heard of them.

Often that's regions and licensing. Another thing that can change without notice from the user's PoV.

When things appear, it's good news. My Bloody Valentine (or their rights-holder) got their sh*t together recently, so seminal shoegaze like Loveless is back with us now.

When things disappear, not so much. Speaking of albums called Zeit, one of my dad's faves Tangerine Dream (or their rights-holder) have made a total mess of their earliest stuff on streaming (as far as I can see on Apple Music at least). Since that's the only stuff of theirs worth listening to (he agrees with this) also pretty egregious. And one of my faves Bring Me The Horizon disowned their earliest metalcore stuff. Tracks like Tell Slater Not to Wash His Dick should live forever, obviously. Fortunately in Apple Music, things saved to library (that you've purchased and/or ripped/uploaded yourself) don't seem to vanish. You have to pay attention though.

Last edited:

HorizonsEdge

So how do you guys go about this?
My music tastes remain in the awesome 80's for New Wave, 60's for blues and a sampling of pre-90's rock. Everything after 1990 is pointless MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Axo1989

Major Contributor
My music tastes remain in the awesome 80's for New Wave, 60's for blues and a sampling of pre-90's rock. Everything after 1990 is pointless MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Haha, everything before the 90s is anaemic tosh with no bass. :p

Andretti60

I never got along with streaming. Too many weird omissions, crappy sounding remasters, jarring transitions between songs etc... I listen to full albums and have been collecting lossless files since 2006.
….

The subject here is how we are discovering new music, not how we are listening to music.

60 years ago we discovered new music listening to AM radio, the quality was crappie, if we liked then we would by the album. I do the same today, I listen to YouTube, most of time the quality is bad (not always), when I find something I like I buy the album (CD if I cannot find digital)

Mojo Warrior

Every Friday I check reviews on:

Top Bottom