• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do we measure dynamics?

Ooidal

This can, by itself, create nonlinearities in the very air (air is not a linear transmitter of sound, and the distortions become quite evident above 120SPL or so, and measurable below that.)
I am not keeping up with most of this thread but this bit has intrigued me. If air is not a linear transmitter of sound is there a material out there that is or is at least the most optimal?

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I am not keeping up with most of this thread but this bit has intrigued me. If air is not a linear transmitter of sound is there a material out there that is or is at least the most optimal?

The mathematical description of air propagation will show you the problems. It's probably not a discussion for this forum, but nonlinear acoustics is a thing, just not one that's good to have around ears.

Top Bottom